Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 738 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s Cardinal fans’ tradition to talk about their team both during the season and during the off season. Both positives and negatives. Right now we’re talking about this bizarre shortened season. And how the offense has performed.
    And what it might mean if they do indeed make the playoffs. 25’s last post is a good one. If he could expand on it that would be great. How did you arrive at those percentages, 25%?

Participant

Free

I agree with BW about all the difficulties the Cards have had to overcome (or not overcome). But the fact of the matter remains: A .500 record is nothing to be proud of. Slipping into the playoffs with a mediocre record is certainly better than not being in the playoffs. But you have to recognize that if we make it to the post-season it’s not because we played good baseball. And if we don’t make the playoffs it’s doubly disappointing because half of MLB did. We can only hope for a late-season surge.
    We love our birds anyway. Rah Cardinals.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How did you arrive at those percentages, 25%?

Like all great statistics, I made them up. It’s just my feeling as to how each team is put together. Especially when you can start Flaherty, Waino and Kim in a short series and have Hudson and Oviedo, Reyes, Gant, Gallegos, Cabrera, Carlos, etc available in relief…I like the Cards chances to hold teams to low run outpouts in most every game. But the Pads and Dodgers are on another level.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, 25. I just hope if we make it to the playoffs we don’t have games going into the 10th tied 0-0. Those other teams have good pitchers too. For instance, in a short series with the Cubs we’d have to go up against Darvish and Hendricks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran – I admire your insistence on excellence, although excellence doesn’t mean that a person or a team has to be dominant in order to be excellent. No one should settle for what they have if they honestly are not satisfied with it. (IMO, most people are satisfied with what they have even if they won’t admit it.) I, for one, am more or less satisfied with the Cardinals for the reasons that BW brought up, plus I think these kids are giving it their best effort. What’s upsetting is when the players act like they aren’t giving it their best, which IMO, is why Dexter Fowler was getting so much hate. His play looked lackadaisical at times, like he didn’t want to play for the Cardinals or their fans. We don’t know what our front office would have done if their ‘season’ wasn’t cut off. They might have acquired Arenado or traded for an outfielder. They do have valuable assets that they could trade if the market was there for them. You’ve got to give them credit for that.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

forsch31, until we find a site with “shift” splits, which deals with just balls in play, we’re really doing ourselves a disservice by using those BR splits you posted. Those numbers probably include every HR we’ve hit, and it doesn’t surprise me the pull numbers are the best. What i’d like to see is results for balls in play that stay in the park, vs the shift only. Who is beating the shift and who isn’t.

I’ve noticed MIL isn’t shifting on Kolten, and those BR numbers should include all non-shift AB’s also.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Turns out fangraphs has shift splits on the team and player pages. new toy!

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Huge positive seasonal run differential almost eliminated in one night.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there something wrong with Flaherty? He’s a shadow of his second half 2019 self.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No matter how you slice it, Bader is batting .214 right now. To go along with
    O’Neill’s .190. Of course, both of them are out hitting Thomas, who’s at .111.
    Nice outfield, Mo.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader’s 105 wRC+ is roughly equivalent to each of Ozuna’s two years in St Louis (107 and 109). He’s not much of a problem. O’Neill is. His .208 BABIP is still unsustainably low, but we’re close enough to season’s end that results are needed. No one in the OF is getting it done, and the infield has begun to cool off as well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

In the crucial 5 game Milwaukee series, Bader, O’Neill, Ravelo, Thomas, and Williams were 4-46. That’s a .109 batting average.

Participant

Free

Bccran, why don’t you take your complaints to Mo instead of trying to bombard us with these wasted stats. It seems like every time they lose a game, and even some that they win, you are spouting some stat that shows you don’t like the OF. In case you didn’t know realize it, we all know you don’t like the OF.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Roger that, 25. Won’t bother you again with it. Even though it’s an aggravation every day, the way this thing is rolling out. Sorry to waste your reading time with it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I meant to say Forsch.
    In a boring business meeting right now.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will say that despite the not great stats, O’Neill was the secondary star of game 1 yesterday. The HR, sac fly and nice catch at the wall were big. Without him, we may have gotten swept.

Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill is the one who has the upside.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The one thing about O’Neill is that he still has power. Over a full season he would be projected at at least 20 HR’s if not more.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gun show!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

With Ty’s power and athleticism, he is the one outfielder I would run out there every day. You gotta get a good read on him before making a decision to move on.

I would probably stick with Bader as well, since his defense plays at a premium position. Fowler is in right when healthy, otherwise you can audition Thomas, Ravelo and whoever else out there to see if anyone steps up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can you have a CFer hitting .214, even if he does have a good glove?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can you have a CFer hitting .214, even if he does have a good glove?

In the last three seasons Kevin Kiermaier has hit .217, .228, and currently .239 for the Rays. The first place Rays. Defense up the middle is very important. Where we need an offensive boost is LF, RF, and 3B.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree with that, gscottar. And since our biggest queue seems to be at 3B, several of those prospects may have to move to corner outfield.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BA, BA, BA
    Batting average doesn’t know the difference between a single and a HR. Does that difference matter to anyone reading this?

OPS+ knows the difference. These 9 players lead the team in PA’s, here’s their ops+.

Goldschmidt 155
    Miller 145
    DeJong 118
    Bader 103
    Edman 100
    Wong 85
    Carpenter 79
    O’Neill 75
    Molina 71

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 738 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years