Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 891 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

There was an article on Yahoo Sports/MLB today about teams possibly trading for Arenado. St. Louis was not one of the teams mentioned. Dodgers, Toronto, San Francisco, Atlanta, Washington were the teams mentioned.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cardinals will have a big strapping slugger at 3B for the next several years by the name of Nolan. The last name will be Gorman, not Arenado.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You think we are tired of hearing about Arenado being traded? How would you like to be a Rockies fan? They don’t know if Arenado or Story or neither will be traded. But the beat writers have to write about something, so this one goes back into team history to review how the franchise also unloaded previous stars CarGo, Tulo and Holliday.

Be thankful for what you have as a Cardinals fan… (Maybe Denver-based BikeMike will weigh in….)

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is not a matter of if the Rockies trade Arenado, it is a matter of when. That fate was sealed after the nasty public comments that were aired last year. If the Rockies are trying to maximize the return they should wait until next winter. His 2021 numbers should be better than 2020, his opt out will be resolved, and other teams will have a chance to be back at full revenue. I guess there is the small chance that Arenado opts out next winter and leaves without the Rockies getting anything but at least they wouldn’t have to eat any money. I don’t see him doing that though because he probably wouldn’t get as much in a new deal. The only thing that could speed up a trade is the fact that he is disgruntled and the Rockies are concerned about the clubhouse chemistry.

One other thing I would say about his situation is that I don’t have respect for players who spout off and try to negotiate in the media. Things like that should be handled behind closed doors. Even if his front office misled him (big if) the way he trashed them in the paper was not professional. Is that the kind of guy you want to trade for and pay $200M to? We have already been through that on a smaller scale with Tommy Pham and to some extent with Yadi. We don’t need another hot head.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Last night on the MLB Network they were discussing Arenado. They talked about how Colorado now probably realizes, with the Padres acquisition of Snell and Darvish, that there is NO WAY they can finish in 2nd place in the NL West. And that might spur them on to now trading Arenado and perhaps starting a rebuild.

I believe it was Dan Plesac and/or Greg Amsinger that said St. Louis is a perfect fit for Arenado. They mentioned how 2-3 years ago St. Louis was willing to spend $300 million on Giancarlo Stanton so now they would certainly be willing to spend $200 million on Arenado.

Thoughts posters?

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Previously, the Cards were looking for a power bat for the lineup and were looking at a sweetheart deal with the Marlins to make it happen. Unloading a contract (Fowler maybe?) would have made it quite a lot more palatable. As is, they didn’t have it happen. They got Ozuna and then Goldy. Now with today’s financial situaion, that $200m for Arenado may as well be $400m.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading for Arenado might make sense next winter but not this winter.

Participant

Free

I agree with gscott, there is no way the Cardinals trade for Arenado this year. At this point, I give a trade after the 2021 season a 5% chance or less. At that time, the Arenado opt out will be out of the equation. However, Gorman will be very close to the majors so he will play into any decision.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why is everyone so high on Gorman? Let me ask one question here:

WHAT HAS HE EVER DONE???

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why is everyone so high on Gorman? Let me ask one question here:

WHAT HAS HE EVER DONE???

Obliterated the Appy League his draft year and put up above average lines at Peoria and Palm Beach at age 18/19. Both of those places are tough hitting environments and given his age, he performed very well. It’s really about a young player holding their own at that age and level, which he did. Sort of like freshmen college football players, where they may only run 300 yards or catch 20 passes but you see that they’re primed to be good because they are playing decently well at a young age.

Lest you get too caught up in the slash line stats, he performed better, although the stats were similar, than Dylan Carlson did at both levels at the same age:

Carlson Peoria: 26% above average
    Carlson Palm Beach: 12% above average

Gorman Peoria: 28% above average
    Gorman Palm Beach: 17% above average

Participant

Free

Another point to consider about Gorman: his first year in the minors he hit HRs at a higher rate than Mark McGwire did over his first 6 years in the majors.

I also believe I heard he was working on his hitting in 2019 so he would be better prepared to hit at the major league level. If so, he kept improving his numbers at the end of the season. He will be challenged again in 2021 so it will be interesting to see how he performs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not want to give up on Gorman at all. That is the part of trading for Arenado that bothers me the most. If that trade ever did come about I would not send Gorman to Colorado. Even though 1B and 3B would be locked up we could put Gorman at DH until Goldy or Arenado got too old to play the field.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New news from Ken Rosenthal, but he warns that “no deal appears close”:

Players in deal are unknown
    One big contract from StL to COL likely
    Prospects from StL to COL likely
    Arenado might push back his opt out later than 2021

Participant

Free

I would love to see it happen. Fingers crossed

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there was a comma between Arenado and Story in that tweet instead of a period, I’d be fine with giving up Gorman. Heck, Dejong too.

Sounds like the Cards would send a contract back. There aren’t a lot of options. In order of likelihood: Carp, Cmart, Fowler (no trade), Mikolas. Without that money going back I don’t see how Arenado would net any of the Cards top 5 prospects. Mo has indicated that the Cards would not send a prospect away to save money, which is essentially what this would be.

My prediction for what the deal would look like with and without a contract going back:

Arenado and a flier prospect for Carp, Gorman, Rondon and Dennis Ortega

Arenado for Montero, Oviedo and Lane Thomas

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Btw, Mikolas plus Carpenter is a good match on the MLB Trade Simulator at -42.4M vs -43.7M. Would be a net even on salary this year and the Cards would gain around $19M the next two years. The Rockies fans would run their owner out of town on a rail though.

It’ll be very difficult to find a neutral value trade with Arenado’s deal looming if the Cards include Gorman, who is a +35.1M on the trade simulator. That’s a $78.8M difference in value right away.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

My initial thoughts: oh no not this $#!% again.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rockies beat writer weighs in. To summarize, what was “not close” is “not as close as that”.

The potential psychology intrigues me. If the Rox want the Cards to up their ante, the best way to do so is by signaling there is a second bidder…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As long as Arenado has an opt out, Gorman stays. I’m not interested in reckless.

If COL can buy out the opt out they negotiated with Arenado, then Gorman should be available.

Participant

Free

I just don’t see it happening but that is just me

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a possible Arenado trade scenario I like for STL, but it would be up to COL to accept, or find a better offer. This scenario does allow COL to shed 25mil on Arenado the last five seasons of his contract (2022-2026). They could apply that directly to Storys’ 2022 free agency, if they choose to.

Arenado bought down to 6/150mil, no opt out
    Brendan Rodgers (5 seasons control) not on pace for a super2 arb season in 2022
    for
    Carpenter 1/18.5mil w/option
    Gorman

2021: STL adds 7.1mil payroll
    Arenado for 25mil AAV and Rodgers at near minimum 0.6mil
    minus Carpenter at 18.5mil

The sim sees this as STL sending 20.4 for 20.1 after COL buys down Arenado to 6/150mil
    If they can do better elsewhere, they should.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 891 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years