Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 461 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t give much credence to writers who can’t even get contract details right. He states that Carpenter has a mutual option for 2022. Wrong. It is a club option that can automatically vest with a certain number of plate appearances. Carpenter also has a no trade clause that the writer does not mention.

As Brian states, why would the Cardinals (or any team) take on a massive contract when revenues are tanking? Sounds like fantasy talk to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree, unless the Rockies want to pay a substantial part of his contract like the Marlins did with Stanton. IMO, it’s not just this season that makes a trade so much more unlikely, but it sure looks like there’s going to be a strike after 2021, and who knows if the fans will return after it’s over. Meanwhile, Arenado will still be owed the balance of his megacontract.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From the local newspaper’s Rockies beat writer:

“My bottom line: I think Arenado will play for the Rockies in 2020 and will be in a Colorado uniform to begin 2021 but will be gone before the 2021 trade deadline.”

He also thinks Arenado will still opt out of his contract after 2021.

https://twitter.com/psaundersdp/status/1265616406420180993

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some people apparently think that Jack Flaherty’s outspokenness on union issues means he would or should be traded. I think it is unfounded and would be a really bad idea, but the radio folks are giving the idea legs. What is your take?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading a young, cheap ace with four years of control for a not as young, expensive vet who could be around two or could be an albatross contract for 7 years is not a good idea.

I think the Coronavirus situation has really damaged the value of trading for a guy like Arenado. I suspect the free agent market is going to be bleak for a few years, and a guy with Arenado’s contract is going to be seen as a guy who might need to be given away to justify a trade. Certainly you wouldn’t trade your best your player for him.

Participant

Free

I don’t think Flaherty should be traded for his stance on union issues. The reason I would entertain an offer for Flaherty would be my concern of whether the Cardinals would be able to sign him to an extension past his free agency. The only way you trade him, though, is that you can get a young, franchise type position player in return.

Participant

Free

Flaherty for Arenado – Absolutely NOT! They are really stretching there!

1) Flaherty will be worth close to what Arenado will in the next 4 years. Flaherty will start to get paid more, but nothing touching what Arenado will. The argument could easily end there in my opinion.
    2) Arenado could still walk after 2021, I don’t think it’s as likely after seeing the much smaller contracts that this offseason FA’s get though. “Team X is attempting to shed payroll” will be an extremely common term used over the next two offseasons at least.
    3) The DH could help provide a place for Carp, but going back to teams shedding payroll, he’s not going anywhere until his deal is over and they won’t tie that much into two 3B and the 1B

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When there are no hot stove tunes, play the golden oldies one more time… The quote, while accurate, does not reflect the body of his comments…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado is the kind of player who would probably be well loved in St Louis, sort of like a Goldy or Holliday. Even with a slight drop in stats moving from Coors to Busch, he’d still be very valuable and the glove always plays.

That still solves none of the contract issues. If 2020 was a normal year, St Louis would be well positioned to absorb his deal going forward. That the Cards and Rockies couldn’t agree on a trade last year shows that Colorado probably wanted too much in the trade or wasn’t willing to budge at all on salary concessions. Post 2020, there’s no way St Louis could absorb that huge salary or uncertainty going forward.

I’ll also say that I think Gorman could be a 90% approximation of Arenado so unless the deal is very juicy for the Cards, I prob wouldn’t do it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Must be a slow news day in the sports world to rehash this one.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On Arenado Day at 101 ESPN, since Saxon didn’t give them the answer they wanted, they asked a national writer. Basically the same answer.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

stlcard25 wrote

I’ll also say that I think Gorman could be a 90% approximation of Arenado so unless the deal is very juicy for the Cards, I prob wouldn’t do it.

You really believe that? The Nolan Gorman that hit .248 in the lower minors in 2019 and you think he’s 90% of Nolan Arenado???

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You really believe that? The Nolan Gorman that hit .248 in the lower minors in 2019 and you think he’s 90% of Nolan Arenado???

Yep. Batting average is an overrated statistic. Gorman was also extraordinarily young for where he was playing, so stats have to be taken with some context.

Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25… I value your well-thought out posts. But you’ve got to get back on the wagon, and then promise yourself that you’re going to stay off of that stuff. Arenado is one of the very best players in both leagues. The only question I have about him is whether or not he’s getting help. It’s way, way too early to project stardom for Gorman. Does anybody even know if he can hit the breaking ball?

PS I bet the Rockies’ management are the ones instigating Arenado trade talk. That $350M or so that the organization owes Arendo has to be a very tough pill for any team’s owners to swallow. If the Cardinals could afford Arenado, I think they could get him for cheap, given the current economic climate.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was wrong again. I thought Wednesday was Arenado day. Instead, it is the entire week.

Today, they tried Cardinal fan Greg Amsinger from MLB Network. He went as far as saying he thinks the Cardinals would not be out of the mix – which they twisted into “the Cardinals are in the mix.”

Maybe the quote was from a year ago, as not a word was said about the current economic downturn across MLB that would restrict any deal like this.

They really need to stop beating this almost deceased equine.

Participant

Free

NO idea why they keep bringing this up, the just left GOLD GLOVE solid hitting 2B making 12.5 go for nothing they are not going to trade players to take on salary……

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Like Mo said, the Cardinals and Dodgers don’t both start on first base…

I am surprised the Rockies will trade within their division, but they must feel they have no other choice.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This certainly is an off season to take some financial risks, if you can stomach it. The Dodgers clearly can.

Of course, there’s a good likelihood that next season brings fans back to the ballparks for at least some of the year, and 2022 is a near certainty to have full fan participation. Smart teams realize that and even following the 2020 hit, should be able to take advantage of the rest of the market and build for 2021 and 2022.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It also would mean Turner will be looking for a new home.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Like Mo said, the Cardinals and Dodgers don’t both start on first base…

The Dodgers have some money coming off the books this year, so as a smart team, they are looking to capitalize. The Cardinals should be able to do that next winter unless we find another excuse not to.

And in true Friedman fashion they are looking to upgrade via trade. He almost never spends big on free agents.

Having said all of that, I doubt the Rockies trade him to the Dodgers unless they are blown away by the package.

And yes, it would make Turner available. St. Louis would be a good fit if we can put Carp at DH. I don’t think the Cardinals will pay Carp $18.5M to sit on the bench.

Participant

Free

I think the Cardinals should let Carp sit on the bench if there is no DH. Sign Turner for 2 years and take advantage to put one of the best teams on the field that they can within payroll strains.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is so little real news that even Ken Rosenthal is getting into the misleading teaser game.

Twitter tease: “Latest notes! Cubs/Bryant; Cardinals/Arenado; Ozuna’s switch; Mets’ search; Angels’ Minasian; much more”

Article conclusion: “Such a scenario is difficult to envision”

No kidding, Ken.

https://theathletic.com/2216310/2020/11/23/rosenthal-waiting-on-the-cubs-arenado-an-eventual-fit-for-cardinals-more-notes/

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope the Dodgers do trade for Arenado so Cardinal fans can finally move onto something more realistic.

Why our fans want to pay someone $35M per year to block Nolan Gorman is perplexing to me.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why our fans want to pay someone $35M per year to block Nolan Gorman is perplexing to me.

I’m with you there. Having a high $$, short term guy would be more preferable at 3B for me than having someone there for 5+ years. If the DH was available for Goldy in a couple years, then maybe. But I’d still rather upgrade elsewhere.

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 461 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years