Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 433 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

nate, you were fine until the end. If folks want to talk about Arenado, they certainly can, just as you can skip over this thread since it bothers you so much.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder: Colorado was the first state to legalize recreational marijuana use…

Participant

Paid - Annual

For once I am going to agree with Nate. This off season was foreshadowed a long time ago. In fact I bet if you go back somewhere on this board you will find discussions where it was talked about that this winter would be quiet due to the many pay raises that were going into effect. Everyone likes to cite the money coming off the books but they usually forget about the money coming ON the books. Do yourself a favor and read over the Cot’s site. It is a good predictor of the future.

I suspect if Mo and Girsch went to Dewitt and asked him about adding Arenado or Ozuna or Betts or Lindor he replied with “Uh wait a minute. You guys are the reason I am still writing checks to Cecil and Leake this year and writing checks to Carp, Fowler, and Miller the next two years, and now Yadi wants an extension. You can make do with what we have until those contracts are off the books. Thanks and shut the door on your way out.”

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

Brian:

I have a disliking for inane small talk and useless conversation. My wife’s family invented it and traipsing to her family reunions is torture for me. I usually turn away or walk away when they start on the weather or how are the crops down your way. They don’t like me…big surprise. To me, talking of Arenado is pointless and serves no purpose. However, there are people who either think his acquisition is a possibity or who just like flogging a dead horse and as idiotic as I think that is, it is their right as you say. I will try to be more gracious in the future.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is ok, nate. We all can get grumpy – especially when there is no real news. Then the silliness level increases. (Not talking about this thread. Just making a general observation.) Even now, there is a group of folks I see on social media with supposed inside contracts who are providing daily updates on the Arenado negotiations. Amazing how neither the national reporters or the local beat guys are saying anything about it anymore. Such is the world we live in…

Participant

Paid - Annual

The explanation is simple math. I’m not calling Junior cheap but he’s no fool. He’s a shrewd businessman.
    If the Cardinals traded for Arenado, they’d sell 3.4-3.5 million tickets.
    If the Cardinals don’t trade for Arenado they’d sell 3.4-3.5 million tickets.

This doesn’t sound like the type of mindset that will put anything more than a competitive team on the field, even if the organization’s pipeline can continue to provide better than average players and perhaps one or two will become all-stars. Flaherty types.

I get the “shrewd” part…. it’s just plain “reality” but fans like to think big. You have to allow them that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeWitt has said in the past that their models are to build a team to win 90 games every year. That is different than a model to try to win 100 for a year or two then have to fall back when payroll gets too high. One can argue which is preferred, but they have communicated their course.

Participant

Free

If Arenado is in any way still a possibility I hope they keep us in the dark like they did with Goldy. That was really a nice surprise and we didn’t have to discuss it to the ends of the earth. Mo just did it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a good post MM. Serenity now.

I often wonder if Mozeliak ever comes here in his personal time to check out the trade ideas. 🙂 I get nervous just reading them. I might be close to a breakdown if I knew what was inside his head. 🙁

Participant

Paid - Annual

This writer blisters the Rockies.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No wonder Arenado wants out. This same owner told him a year ago when Arenado signed that he would put a competitive team around him. It is clear Monfort thinks he already has one.

Participant

Free

Boy, if we hadn’t had all the Ozuna “will he or won’t he” and all the Arenado “it might be it could be” stuff, this winter’s reading would have been pretty boring.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

14:

Your right, of course, they’ll never be anything more than competitive. With Junior’s business model the payroll will always be reasonable and they’ll do just enough to be in contention for the playoffs until the last week or day of the season. Winning the WS means nothing to Junior. If he draws 3.4 and makes 50 million profit, he’s happy. If they luck into a series win like 06 or 11 that’s fine but he’ll never do enough to make it likely. That’s what being a Cardinal fan means. I can live with it.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

“That’s what being a Cardinal fan means. I can live with it.”

That is how it is being a fan of any team. Other than the Yankees from 1921-1964, teams go through ups and downs, occasionally hit a stretch of 3 or 4 seasons where they are near great, then fall back for awhile.

The latter-day Cardinals probably peaked in 2004-2005, but did not win it all either year. Other than those two years they have mostly had competitive teams.

The Red Sox and Giants have likely had higher win standard deviations over the last 20 years than St. Louis, but one thing about them, when they have gotten to the World Series they have won. Quite a different feeling for fans of those franchises, as prior to this century they were mostly the Series loser when they got there – although the dead all era Red Sox were good Series teams.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Question not asked: “Well Mo, giving out all those no-trade deals sure does make things more difficult, doesn’t it?”

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The difference in the Rockies, 2018-2019 was primarily pitching. They had a young, talented rotation in ‘18 that looked like it would carry them for a few years, and they drastically regressed in ‘19.

Another factor was letting LeMahieu walk and his highly-touted replacement did not do so well, plus letting Ottavino walk.

If Brendan Rodgers or another youngster can realize some of his potential, and guys like Feeland, Marquez and Sentzatela (sp?) get back to pitching quality starts, the Rox will be much better. 94 wins? That is asking a lot.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No offense, but I do not see how the Rockies will improve their win total by 23 games year-over-year. They have boxed themselves into a corner. They do not have much money to spend, they have a lot of big contracts that are hard to move and did little to nothing in the offseason. It will take almost every player who regressed in 2019 to return to form in 2020. Not impossible, just very unlikely.

I am guessing the GM will be gone by All Star beak and the rebuild will start shortly thereafter (to the extent they can move players and contracts).

P.S. – I am generally considered to be an optimist.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Avatar1964cards.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

would the prospect of a shortened season make a trade for Arenado early in the season more or less likely?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The choice of words are really interesting to me. “Shortened season” – yes, but also “delayed season” and “extended season” if they play games through October, as many expect.

For the trade, it may depend on what you think the trigger would be. If it is for the Rockies to be out of playoff contention, it is going to take longer on the calendar. But maybe shorter in the number of games played. Rumors of an expanded playoff field could keep the team in contention deeper into the season.

And what will the new trade deadline be? Sept 1?

Too many unanswered questions to know about anything. Interesting to consider the angles, though…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hope update for those who rely on Incarcerated Bob for news over Rosenthal/Passan types or local beat writers…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This drum is still being beaten. Raise your hand if you think Bill DeWitt would take on Arenado’s contract, especially in the middle of a pandemic…

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 433 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years