Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 420 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Mud, your comments in the above post is why Kris Bryant won’t be in Chicago on August 1. They have hid it well but it’s internally worse than the Arenado situation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I tried to read the article but it asks me for a subscription. What are the cliff notes?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Highly unlikely a trade happens before spring training, but much more likely by the deadline if they don’t play well.

Participant

Free

The one thing that stood out was the author’s statement that they are not looking to shed payroll. I’m skeptical on that claim since they were obviously shopping him this winter.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

gscottar, when the login box pops up, just click the X in the upper right corner. The box will go away and you can read the article.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ONeill + Gorman/Libertore + Montero/Knizner + Woodford/Gomber/Oviedo

Such a monstrous overpay for a guy making market value, at best.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar, when the login box pops up, just click the X in the upper right corner. The box will go away and you can read the article.

On mobile, it didn’t even give me that option.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I tried that but no dice. The same subscription pop up keeps appearing.

Participant

Free

Reading that article it seems Arenado’s beef is with the GM, not the owner. If so, it may be better (from the owner’s point of view) to replace the GM.

To trade for Arenado, any acquiring team will need Arenado to “wave” his Opt Out. However, he can’t just wave it. The players’ association will (rightly) not allow a player to give away value in his contract. So the acquiring team will need to give Arenado something in exchange. The most likely thing to give Arenado is another guaranteed year, which means more money and more risk.

In my mind, what it would take for the Cardinals to trade to for Arenado is for Matt Carpenter to have a great first half making him valuable to the Rockies.

Participant

Free

gscottar. I had that problem but just clicked on the beginning of the link instead of the DenverPost part.

Participant

Paid - Annual

To me this article sounds like an attempt at damage control.

According to this writer if the Rockies were to trade Arenado, they would want an established major league player and prospects. Also, he thinks the Rockies would want to pick up an established veteran, possibly a third baseman, if they trade Arenado.

Last season the Rockies’ pitching was their biggest problem, and they have done nothing to improve it.

The relationship between Bridich and Arenado is not good. But Monfort and Arenado still genuinely like each other although their relationship is being tested.

In my opinion the Rockies aren’t going anywhere unless they improve their pitching, and they can’t improve their pitching unless they clear some payroll space.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Place your bets, Ladies and Gentlemen…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs or Dodgers? Only a sucker would take those bets.

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar. I had that problem but just clicked on the beginning of the link instead of the DenverPost part.

Still didn’t work for me. Maybe I have already exhausted my free articles from the Denver Post for the month. Oh well, I think I get the gist of the article.

My bet would be he isn’t traded before opening day. I think the July deadline or next winter is more likely.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t see any way that the Cubs could afford that deal, nor would the Rockies want to take it. Especially laughable is the idea that the Rockies would throw in money AND take a short term contract too along with Bryant’s probably $45ish million the next two years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bryant for Arenado straight up plus the Rockies kicking in money? That would be a dumb trade for the Rockies to make.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs would need to throw in a somewhat highly regarded prospect in case Bryant doesn’t live up to his billing. There’s less chance of that happening to Arenando.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it’s entirely possible that a team other than the Car’s could swoop in and offer the Rockies the kind of overpay they are looking for. But if that doesn’t happen, serious talks could get started again between Colorado and St. Louis. It could be that the deciding factor is how Carpenter is performing this spring. If he’s swinging the bat like an MVP candidate, he could headline a package that the Rockies might be interested in. Or, Carp could be dealt to another team which would probably create enough payroll space for the Cardinals to be willing to take on Arenado’s $260M contract. Then again, if Carp is swinging the bat like an MVP candidate, do the Cardinals even want to trade him? Maybe not, especially when you look at the Cardinals’ up and coming candidates for third base, and when you take into consideration the risk involved with taking on a long term contract. Regardless of any of the possibilities, it looks like whatever happens will depend upon what Carpenter does this spring. If he’s hitting .210 and rolling the ball out to the shortstop every other AB, no trade is going to happen.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, you did a good job of reasoning why a trade may not happen, whether Carpenter hits or not.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I know you keep on pounding the mantra ‘No additional payroll’. But early on didn’t WDW say he might take on some additional payroll for the right deal on an impact player? I can’t find the source, but I thought he said that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t recall saying once, “No additional payroll”, but I am realistic about where the team stands vs. where they say they want to be. (We know they COULD spend much more, but they aren’t.)

At WWU, Bill DeWitt Jr. was asked directly if he would take on $35 MM in salary. He said no. So then the discussion turns to how much more would be acceptable and how much more is not. We don’t know, but I bet most would believe the answer is much closer to zero than to $35 MM.

Specifically on Arenado, I have written about other inhibitors than just salary. They include his out in two years and the loss of prospects that would be required to acquire him (another concern DeWitt noted directly). (The more money you want Colorado to cover, the more prospects you have to give to balance the trade.)

P.S. I get that many folks don’t like this, but it does no good to kill the messenger. 😉

Here is the exact quote.

“That’s not mov­ing it up a lit­tle bit – that’s mov­ing it up a lot,” said De­Witt. “We re­ally can’t be in that kind of a range.”

Participant

Free

The names being thrown around to acquire a player making market value, with an opt out, is not going to happen. At $34M, it’s not a great value like Yelich for example. Does anyone remember who the Marlins got to unload Stanton’s contract? I don’t….. and I find the two situations very similar.

Participant

Free

In the end of the season press conference after 2018 Junior said they were going to push for results in 2019 (not those exact words but the meaning was clear). They went out and acquired Goldschmidt and Miller and it helped. They did what they said they would. At the end of the season press conference in November of 2019 Junior made it clear they ere NOT going after any of the big names (Big Money) and they didn’t. Arenado cetainly classifies as big money. They were going to fill their needs from within and that’s what they’ll do in a few weeks in Florida. They NEVER at any time suggested they would make a giant deal like Arenado and yet many posters on this forum, as inteligent as they seem to be at times, actually thought there was a chance that Arenado would end up in St.Louis. It was my greatest source of laughter during the hot stove league this winter, which was a cold stove league for St. Louis, but Junior said that going into the off season.

The explanation is simple math. I’m not calling Junior cheap but he’s no fool. He’s a shrewd businessman.
    If the Cardinals traded for Arenado, they’d sell 3.4-3.5 million tickets.
    If the Cardinals don’t trade for Arenado they’d sell 3.4-3.5 million tickets.
    Why would Junior or anyone add 35 million dollars to their cost of doing business for the year when it would have virtually no effect on the revenue?

Can we end this idiotic thread and concentrate on who will play left field, who will close, who will start, etc. You know, things based in reality.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years