Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 421 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Of course, but that post by Arenado was to quell fan unrest with the organization, not him. They have no reason to be mad at the player (except for the few fans that resent players that get huge contracts). The economic realities of the game is what they should be mad at.

Participant

Free

Despite Arenado saying he is such a private person he has sure managed to raise a ruckus on Twitter I guess. He talks of being disrespected but stops at going into details. I really am kind of bumfuzzled on how, with the size of his new contract, he is now thinking he is ‘disrespected.’ Maybe he wasn’t kept up to date on trade talks but I can see why the Rockies would do that until they have to consult him on a matter of his no-trade clause and give him a specific city and proposed deal to comment on. Evidently the Rocks never got to that point with any other team.

Participant

Free

Anybody who pays me $35 million for playing a game I love can disrespect me just as long as those checks keep coming and I’ll keep smiling, keep playing and have a little more strawberry ice cream.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course, but that post by Arenado was to quell fan unrest with the organization, not him.

It is my impression that he isn’t concerned about how much heat the front office gets.

Participant

Free

Anybody who pays me $35 million for playing a game I love can disrespect me just as long as those checks keep coming and I’ll keep smiling, keep playing and have a little more strawberry ice cream

Amen to that! But make my ice cream chocolate.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Rockies had no intention of keeping Arenado from the very beginning. They signed him with the intention of trading him and getting much more than the supplemental draft pick. In short, Arenado is being used. That is not only disrespectful, but degrading. No wonder he’s mad.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what the Rockie front office promised Arenado when they signed them but it occurs to me that they did most of their roster building before the Arenado extension. Charlie Blackmon, Wade Davis, Ian Desmond, Jake McGee, Brian Shaw, and Daniel Murphy all signed big deals before Arenado signed.

Was Arenado expecting the Rockies to then to continue to spend all the way to the luxury tax threshold? It appears to me that the Rockies spent a lot of money on players but most of the signings were just flops. An “A” for effort but a “F” for results.

Participant

Paid - Annual

After listening to BDW and Mo at WWU, it’s doubtful they will trade a boatload of high end prospects for RA. They look to the future too much to do that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Say what you want about the direction set by the Cardinals’ leadership, but at least they face the fans and media in a formal setting.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Has Las Vegas created an over/under line on “how many days Bridich will remain as Rockies GM”?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian,

“at least”

is appropriate in your comment. Was that a slip or a true opinion?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is an acknowledgement of the negative orientation of many of those who comment here and on social media.

Participant

Free

<Brian wrote: It is an acknowledgement of the negative orientation of many of those who comment here and on social media.>

I wish we could give likes on TCN. I would give that post about 50 of them.

Participant

Paid - Annual

<Brian wrote: It is an acknowledgement of the negative orientation of many of those who comment here and on social media.>

MM3 wrote:
    I wish we could give likes on TCN. I would give that post about 50 of them.

I would give 1000 likes for those with the ability to offer both praise and criticism of the front office based on the merits of the particular issue. This one size fits all ” hater or lover” mentality seems rather shallow and predictable to me.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Most FO moves can not be judged for years. Add to that the fact we for the most part dont know all the facts involved. So what that results in are those that trust the front office based on their evaluation of their history and performance and those that dont trust the front office based on their evaluation of history and performance. That is why you get hater/lover dicotomy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My personal opinion. I saw that article yesterday and decided to ignore it. Most of what he writes is unrealistic – and I am not even talking about the Cards. Throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks. Not much, IMO.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bowden’s particulars may be pie in the sky but I agree with the overall premise that Arenado is going to get moved. I would guess sometime between now and July 31 but definitely within the next calendar year. I don’t think he will be in Colorado when his opt out comes around.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On that we agree… The situation remains toxic…

Participant

Free

Well Arenado is probably the only real hero left to be traded this off season and the odds are that it will not be before the season has started. Ozuna and Castellanos are now gone, Marte to the DBacks and Puig – well Puig I guess is till out there. Wouldn’t it be a riot if the Cards got him….LOL. I am still hoping for Arenado but since I am not very agreeable on giving up our future it probably won’t happen.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i understand the sentiment of not wanting to give up our future but really what are we talking?

money wise, it would be tough and expensive for the next 2 years with Fowler and Carp around, but after that…not a big deal…especially given Yadi “probably” not being around too…not to mention almost every other significant contract…plus i guess he could opt out…though with that huge contract and seeing what the others git i dont think he is in line for much of a raise or for more length

prospect wise…come on…we have a pretty healthy farm…Libertore was added…so loss of him or an equal calibre can’t be really seen as much of a loss as it took two guys from the 40man to get him….add in another top tier and a mid tier or MLBer or two and that is probably as much as it would take…as the money is probably the sticking point with most trades right now…

Yes it would take some creativity and potentially bumping up against the luxury tax for a year or two…but so what? You end up with one of the top players in the league, locked into a sizable but good contract that runs through his prime and not into his old age

ONeill + Gorman/Libertore + Montero/Knizner + Woodford/Gomber/Oviedo

That doesn’t kill our depth or kill our future…

ONeill is mitigated by Arenado’s power and the dearth of OFers coming
    Gorman…Arenado and even Edman, plus Nunez and Montero
    Libertore….Thompson as top end lefty…plsu plenty of solid SP’s plus we draft them well every year
    Montero…Arenado…Nunez ..aven Gorman if they wanted something else
    Knizner…Herrera long term…Wieters short term
    Woodford/Gomber/Oviedo/etc….plenty of solid depth and we draft them well

The Cardinals draft very well for their slots in the draft and continuously churn out young SPs and even get good positional guys from time to time late…also as we are clear of all our sanctions international weill bump back up to fleshing out the farm with sleepers and higher end imports from time to time…

I know we are all excited to have some top 100 prospects, but the true strength of the Cardinals farm i dont think has ever been top prospects, but more depth and solid players with the occasional guy who turns out to be a star….our late 1st rd picks are solid if unspectacular and we know how to find serviceable depth SPs

We dont pick in the top 10 where all the premiere hitting talent is, we don’t pa for the Cuban or Asian imports of substance, so we HAVE to trade for them….or pay them…or both… and that is where we are at

We need a Pujols…that is when we were the most successful…with a great all around player who provided stability to the middle of the lineup…we dont have that in the system and we havent had that since Pujols…we CAN go get one now…

We have all the parts around PUjols when we were successful the RObin to his Batman in Goldy, the slick fielders with solid offense in DeJong and Wong (Renteria and Rolen and Edmonds), the youngsters providing future hope with BAder and Thomas and Carlson (Craig, Rasmus, Skip a bit), even a few vets to fill in (Berkman, Sanders, Encarnacion, Eckstein)… even the ddo everything grinder type in Edman (Miles, Descalso) and even the HOF catacher…who is still the same… Yadi

I dont want Arenado because i want them to do ANYTHING…i want them to do get Arenado because Arenado is the type of player, at the right age, and who DESERVES (in comparison) to be paid top dollar that he gets….he would make the whole team better just by his presence in the middle of the lineup as well as at 3b

If there is any player who is worth the hard work to make the deal or to make the finances work…or even to make the finances hard to swallow…it is Arenado

Nevertheless, i am not dumb…i hear all the negativity and pessimism and have heard all the justifications as to why he is not a good target…but those reasons do not become validated by the FO NOT making the move for Arenado…they may make us sleep better when he sits and plays in Colorado…but when he ends up on the Yankees or Dodgers for a few prospects that we all shake our heads at and go “that’s it” we will kick ourselves for not being willing to make the deal and money work…sometimes you have to go all in even if it is just to stop the guys with the most money at the table from dominating the game through intimidation and deep pockets…when you have a good hand you go for it…Arenado is a good hand and worth pushing all in with….especially when you know you have plenty of money coming in after the hand

Participant

Free

None of us are privy to the back and forth of what it would actually cost the Cards to land this guy but to not add one significant piece to this poor hitting lineup is astounding to many of us that follow the team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I still think that Carpenter will return to his previous offensive dominance. Why shouldn’t he if he’s committed to himself, which he is? So there’s my bias, I suppose. With that assumption the need to acquire a player like Arenado softens. Still, its obvious that Arenado would be a significant upgrade for St. Louis.

It looks like the Rockies need pitching, outfield help, and an MLB ready catcher. The Cardinals have all of that to offer. I hate, really hate, trading Huddy. I think he’s a top of rotation guy. All those wins he had last season were not a fluke. But we appear to have enough pitching to be able to let Hudson go without hurting our overall starting pitching too much. Carpenter would have to be included, assuming that the Rockies have no interest in Fowler. The Cardinals are not going to take on an additional $35M in payroll, and even an additional $17M would be CBT for them. With Yadi still being able to perform at a high level, Knizner could be traded, and probably should be. Finally, St. Louis could add O’Neill, or a pitcher like Helsley to the offer. The offer then would be Carpenter, Hudson, Knizner, and O’Neill/Helsley for Arenado. I think the Rockies would win more games with this trade than without it, and so would the Cardinals.

This offer, or something very close to it, has already been proposed in this thread. It’s hard to figure why it doesn’t happen. Fear of failure, greed, lack of confidence? Something like that, I guess.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I thought for sure Arenado was headed to Anaheim sometime before the ‘21 season before they inked Rendon.

Now we get to the “B” teams. At this point we probably go into the season with Nolan a Rockie, and see what things look like around last June. Would not be surprised if the Rox pitching came back around and they are fighting for a post season berth, and keep Arenado all year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Rockies ever intended to pay Arenado $35M even for one year. Also, Arenado talks like he feels double-crossed by the Rockies. It’s hard to think of anything more toxic to an organization and its fan base than having a star player around who doesn’t trust the organization that he’s a part of.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 421 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years