Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 420 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Molina and DeWitt both spoke about the catcher’s contract. Details in today’s WWU article on the front page.

Participant

Free

It was all just a bunch of smoke folks. Dewitt just came out and said we’re not adding payroll.

Participant

Free

It was all just a bunch of smoke folks. Dewitt just came out and said we’re not adding payroll.

This same thing gets posted here every single year dozens of times. And yet the payroll, from the beginning of 2010 to to the end of 2019 has gone from $94 million to over $197 million. I can’t figure out how that happens when we never raise payroll.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Just beat me in posting that Brian. Hopefully we can now lay this thread to rest.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC asked:

With all the Arenado rumors does anyone believe Mo when he says there have been no trade discussions in the last 7-10 days?

Yes, I do. I have never known him to make an out and out lie about trades or free agents. Do you have any such examples?

P.S. Today’s news seems to back him up this time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Actually what DeWitt said today (if folks would actually read or listen to what he said) is that they are planning for about $170 MM including call-ups later in the year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Most likely this discussion is tabled until July.

I would say we dodged the bullet for now. I like Nolan but not at the rumored asking price.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would also add that if the payroll is going to be 170M that should rule out Ozuna. More good news!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

ATC, according to Cot’s our current payroll is around 164M. It has never been near 197. Not sure where you got that from.

Forsch, just because the Dewitt’s own the team the fans aren’t allowed to ask questions or disagree at times? We should all just shut up and say yes sir no matter what happens. Not much accountability in that approach. Maybe the fans should be required to sign a loyalty oath before being allowed to enter Busch Stadium.

I have praised ownership and the front office at times. Quite a bit actually. But I feel I and everyone else should have the right to speak up when we disagree with something the team does.

Participant

Free

While it may good news that Ozuna may not be back, it’s bad news that there are no viable options to pair with Goldschmidt in the middle of the order. And don’t say DeJong it isn’t a MOTOB. An already suspect lineup looks a little more suspect going into the season. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Damage control on Aisle 28…

Participant

Free
    Participant

Free

well it went about the same as I expected. since I wasn’t there I can only speculate but im sure the cardinals didn’t want to get rid of some prospects who in ten years no one but the total diehards will even remember ever existed. or maybe the front office didn’t want to take on more money though they have it flowing like wine in their vaults. should satisfy the fans who just want to live on hope. now the cubs haven’t done anything really this off season and maybe the brewers will revert to the early part of the year brewers as opposed to the end, so maybe we can still compete and possibly win the division if those teams are just as bad. springs not too far away.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

atriple, click on the 197 number and look at the spreadsheet that is brought up. The correct total is 164.

Participant

Free

Unless the “correct total” for 2010 is also $160, then my point remains. Payroll keeps going up despite people here claiming otherwise.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, payroll goes up, but no, it is not 197 or anywhere close to it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Sorry for quickly quoting Cot’s published numbers. I hope you guys can forgive me for my transgression. I forget how much fun you guys are sometimes.

Participant

Free

Tonight’s comments sure make it seem like he’s gonna force his way out. Interesting evening for sure.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry for quickly quoting Cot’s published numbers. I hope you guys can forgive me for my transgression. I forget how much fun you guys are sometimes.

The number you quoted was an end of year 40 man roster payroll which is different than the column most use. The 40 man payroll includes salary for anyone that was on the 40 man roster that entire year plus it includes all benefits. Yes, the team does pay it but most of the time when citing team payroll the figure used is the team’s 26 man payroll. In that case for the Cardinals it is currently 164M and yes it has gone up every year. Like I have said numerous times before the Cardinals tend to increase their payroll incrementally each year but not too many huge increases.

The Cardinals currently sit with the 10th highest payroll in MLB although that could fluctuate up or down depending on transactions between now and opening day.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Colorado is a mess. Arenado may not go to St. Louis but he is going somewhere. That situation seems untenable. The Rockie PR Dept will not be getting much sleep tonight.

Talk about losing leverage.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And don’t say DeJong isn’t a MOTOB.

“MOTOB” spelled backward is “BOTOM”, TexasCard.

Yeah I think this topic is far from being put to bed. If anyone does not think that Colorado is merely postering here, in order to sway our Birds into sweetening their offer for Arenado, then they need to come to grips with the situation. Behind the scenes, things certainly appear smoking red hot to me. The signs are all there and we don’t need the Astros and Red Sox to be banging their trash barrels right before our very eyes to let us know what is most likely coming. I would not be surprised in the least if Arenado isn’t ours by this coming weekend.

Participant

Free

Could though Arenado being upset by all of this end up in our favor if we still want to trade for him in that he could force them to take an offer that the Rockies might not otherwise have taken, an offer that wasn’t as high as the one that they were asking for…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar wrote:

The Cardinals currently sit with the 10th highest payroll in MLB although that could fluctuate up or down depending on transactions between now and opening day.

Interestingly, today BDW Jr. said the Cardinals were 6th in payroll and 11th in revenues, but of course, did not share his source. Chances are that Ballpark Village and other non-team assets are not included, but that is just my guess.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years