Nolan Arenado trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Arenado trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 423 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader, Montero, Helsley/Cabrera and Woodford/Seijas. Trade Fowler for some salary relief and move Carpenter to LF. O’Neill and Thomas take RF and CF, with Williams and Carlson ready to come up.

I want this happen so that Syfy will come and film their next original movie in St Louis starring Matt Carpenter and Nolan Arenado…Carpnado: Devouring Pitchers, in a park near you March 2020.

Participant

Free

Carp in LF, he can barely throw the ball to 1b from 3b….no thanks

Participant

Paid - Annual

Compared to Ozuna Carp’s arm looks like Puig’s.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I guess John Gall and a bucket of balls isn’t going to get it done.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs still owe Jason Heyward $86M. Schwarber would be a disaster trying to play the outfield at Coors Field. Bote is the only part of the proposal that the Rockies might be interested in. This is not a serious offer by the Cubs. Maybe Theo Epstein is just trying to get some ink so he can show that he’s doing something.

I think stlcard25’s is about right except that I think that Carpenter would have to be part of any deal with the Rockies. I can’t see the Cardinals taking on the whole $35M that Arenado is owed in each of the next two years. After the 2021 season there will be a lot of money off the books, and the FO can then figure out how to pay Arenado for the remainder of his contract. Also, I don’t want any deal that includes Hudson, Carlson, or Liberatore, and I don’t want any deal unless Arenado waives his opt-out clause.

Participant

Free

stlcard25

#Cubs have offered Jason Heyward, Kyle Schwarber, and David Bote to the #Rockies for Nolan Arenado, per source.

— John McGrath (@JohnMcGrathMLB) January 13, 2020

That’s a laughable offer. If you take Heyward out, it becomes even.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

No deal should include Carlson or Liberatore.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a laughable offer. If you take Heyward out, it becomes even.

I agree… that’s a Cub fan’s dream offer, and if the Cards could throw something similar on the table, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That is an extremely weak offer by the Cubs. What a joke. If the Rockies accepted that their FO should be immediately fired.

Participant

Free

I haven’t read through the thread yet but I just watched the MLB guys hashing about an Arenado trade to the Cards. I have never been away selling the future for immediate but short lived improvement; however, I would not look at a trade for Arenado as short lived improvement. Lots of names are thrown around but the MLB guys mentioned Hudson and Carpenter but also said that Carps no-trade deal starts this season but they were not sure if it is in effect now or at the start of the actual season. In addition to Hudson and Carpenter I would add two of the following – ONeil, Munoz, Gorman or one other minor leaguer not named Carlson. Seems also that Nolan and Goldy played together on the last WBC team and are best buds if that makes any difference. This is the first time I have gotten really interested in a trade so that probably dooms it…….LOL

Participant

Free

Correction: I have never been for selling away the future for immediate but short lived improvement. The rest stands as written.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that this is just another thread concerning a player that we never seem to acquire…. but I’m going to be checking in with MLBTV for the next few days to keep abreast of the talks between COL-STL.
    I’d love having Arenado but I’m fearful that he may cost too much in talent.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d love having Arenado but I’m fearful that he may cost too much in talent.

I agree Ny. While I am an advocate of acquiring elite players the timing just seems to be off to me. This kind of deal would be better in two years when we hopefully have some unpleasant contracts off the books. A lockdown closer would make this team very competitive in 2020. We finally have the farm system heading back to the upper echelon. I would not like to see it gutted right now.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you want elite players you have to either produce them, buy them, or trade for them. Or a combination

Producing them pretty much tanking to get top 5 picks. Which means suffering and gambling on the fans sticking around

Buy them costs a lot of money which can hamstring you to buying other players. Which leads to suffering and gambling on importance of one player.

Trading for them costs a lot of prospects and potential value. Suffering the loss of future talent for elite right now talent.

The Cardinals won’t produce them with their desire to compete every year.

Buying them outright seems out of the question as the organization seems very picky about who they go super big on

Trading for them is our only option truly. Which still requires money.

However we have produced a farm that is deep on aren’t but not much potential elite talent.

This deal would not gut out system. Only perhaps one or two of the elite types in the system.

The Cards farm is fun and has created players that fill holes and just enough higher end talent to allow for upside hole filling and future planning.

Without elite stars in the lineup our system really doesn’t have the punch to produce an elite team on its own.

To get the elite player we have to pay money and give up talent. And that is really the only option

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Carlson and Liberatore should be off-limits.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You may lose one of them, GameCard. The two I don’t want to lose are Edman & Thomas. But how many Thomas’, Carlsons and Liberatores have we seen over the years who did not materialize or ended up being mediocre players? Too many to count. You get a shot at someone the caliber of an Arenado and you just have to pull that trigger. He is that rare monster buck.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

In two years Arenado may be a FA.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson, Carlson, and Liberatore should be off limits. We can put together a heavy package without including any of those three.

I don’t think they will trade for Arenado unless he waives his opt-out. But in order for that to happen he will very likely want his contracted extended. With the track record for long term contracts, it would be hard for the Cardinals to do that. But it’s a possibility. I’m pretty sure that Carpenter will want something in return for waiving his no trade clause, and that would probably be a guarantee for the third year of his present contract. I just can’t see the Cardinals taking on an additional $35M without shedding some payroll.

The Rockies dumped Tulowitzki as soon as he hit the biggest part of his contract. It turned out to be a bust for the Blue Jays. I have a feeling that the Rockies want no part of paying Arenado $35M for one year, much less for 7 years. They could do it. I just think they don’t want to.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

There are 4 players I wouldn’t include in any reasonable trade: Flaherty, Edman, Carlson & Liberatore. Carlson is a switch-hitting young outfielder that can play all 3 spots and Liberatore is a young LH high-end pitcher that we haven’t had in the system.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

So buy out his option, and Stl can then send Colo a seven season trade package, instead of the two seasons remaining that Colo has guaranteed control of. No thanks.

Participant

Free

Colorado does this crap all the time. They figure out someone they can fleece and ask the world for them. When Holliday got dealt to Oakland might of been the best thing to ever happen to this franchise via trade. Billy Beane for commish of mlb. lol

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Holliday deal was a great one for the Rockies, as they got Huston Street and CarGo. And it helped us as well, as we got Holliday for some guys that never did much. At the time Brett Wallace looked like he could be a star, but he never got it going – similar to another guy we sent to them, Daric Barton.

I would not hesitate to put Edman in a deal for Arenado, but would not even discuss Hudson, Flaherty or Carlson. I would rather not put Wong nor DeJong into a deal either, but they are not totally off limits. Liberatore is another “no go” guy.

An interesting trade piece is Alex Reyes. Trading him might be like trading Nolan Ryan in 1971. But Ryan did not have the injury history Reyes has – he just did not get his control harnessed until around that time.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Trading Edman is ridiculous.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Cardinals will consider trading Flaherty, Carlson, or Edman. The players we have to worry about are Hudson, Gorman, and Liberatore, and I would hate to see any of them leave.

I think a package of Knizer, Montero, Oviedo, and Cabrera would be enough to get someone’s attention, then maybe throw in an older guy like Gant, Bader, Ponce, or maybe even Reyes.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 423 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years