Matheny as manager – fired 7/14

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matheny as manager – fired 7/14

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 1,000 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Want to know how bad it gets when a manager isn’t allowed to have say so on players? To be able to find out what type of player/person they are before having them on the team. How would you like to have a veteran player under a long term contact refuse to stay at the same hotel with the rest of the team. Says it isn’t in his contract. He doesn’t “have to”. We can all guess the real reason.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

bccran – there is a reason coaches/managers aren’t in charge of roster construction – it usually ends in disaster. Think of a GM as a check-and-balance on a coach/manager.

Matheny was a poor tactician, and he proved to be a poor “leader of men.”

The Cardinals regressed each of the last three years. It was long past time to move on.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

What a song and dance press conference! The body language of the exec trio was funny to watch…almost like they had trouble stomaching their own platitudes. Girsch continues to fail to impress when a microphone is put in his face. Still not sure how that guy was hired — it must’ve been a helluva research paper he emailed to Mo. And they are the guys that are gonna redirect the ship?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Press conference notes:

DeWitt: Time for fresh voice, new leadership, just having winning record or being .500 not acceptable to StL fams

Mozeliak: Unique opportunity to hit reset button, decision was made on Friday to do this weekend, Shildt acting manager for remainder of season

Shildt: Budaska and Greer will be hitting coaches and the bench coach job will be shared, focus is consistency

bccran
    Participant

We’ll see how new leadership changes the attitudes and performances of the players. Should be interesting.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

colhusker
    Participant

Free

The Cardinal Way is not –

1.) A second baseman who tries to hit a home run every time, even though he’s been told time after time to go with the pitch. That same second baseman who has speed and has 3 stolen bases in 86 games this year.

2.) A right fielder who lops after the ball in the corner and in the gap. Who drops an easy fly ball because of his nonchalance. And who has a mind boggling slash line of .174/.270/.285/.555 this year? Can any poster remember a player who dropped off the table so far?

3.) A player who trashed a storied organization in a national magazine because HE as an individual didn’t think HE was being treated fairly after one season of major league productivity.

If true, they need shown the door too.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m excited about the Budaska promotion. I’ve been clamoring for that for awhile now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Colhusker, those comments are stale dated. I think those comments have lost much of their meaning. Lets see what happens after the Break.

I was considering taking a subscription to the Athletic based on BW’s comment that it was the hottest thing going. But I’ve changed my mind after reading that tweet by that little xxxxxxxx Ken Rosenthal. He’s just another one of those sportswriters who is owned by Boras and a few of the other agents, IMO.

(Profanity removed by moderator)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ315
    Participant

name calling is so unbecoming. At least you manage to insult him twice by using “little”

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ken Rosenthal is a good sportswriter. It’s the association with Saxon and Bernie that will prevent me from wanting to spend money on The Athletic.

Listening to the interview with Matheny right now. I’m only a few minutes in, but so far he has been pretty gracious and handled it with a lot of class.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lmao at the constant attacks on Saxon and Bernie when it was a very good possibility Saxon’s article is the one that pushed DeWitt and Mo to act sooner rather than later. I can’t deal with the people who attack the messenger.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Considering that Saxon’s reporting on both Fowler and Hicks/Norris were directly contradicted by Goold…I think that the messenger has opened himself up to some attacks. Lest we forget, Saxon took some heat himself recently for his pretty iffy comments on Fowler’s play. I suppose that’s just my opinion of it, but that’s how I saw the matter. He’s the lesser of the two evils at play for The Athletic though.

Bernie is just another radio loudmouth who I’m happy to avoid as much as possible. Call him the MSNBC/Fox News/whatever drivel you’d like to of Cardinals media.

I’d take any of the PD writers (even though Hochman is a bit annoying sometimes) any day over either of them, and our own BW could write circles around Saxon, with a whole lot less subjectivity involved. Good writers don’t make themselves the story and these two do way too often for my liking. If that offends you, then I’m sorry.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Who said I was offended? I laugh at your attacks on Saxon when it was his reports that lead to Matheny getting axed. Its really hilarious. He didn’t make Matheny say the things he said and he didn’t put words in Matheny’s mouth. The only thing that was refuted about Norris/Hicks situation was Hicks coming out and saying it wasn’t a big deal, which wasn’t a surprise to me because what was he supposed to say? Matheny admitted Norris was his snitch, but keep shooting the messenger. lmao Geezus. The hilarity in the attacks on the messenger is a godsend to comedy.

bccran
    Participant

Listen to the Mike Matheny interview. Conducted only 12 hours after he found out that he was being released. You can critcize him all you want as a baseball manager, but as a man he stands tall.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Funny, when I saw this thread I was wondering how many pages we would end up with. I was figured probably around 12-15. And here we are at 37 pages.

Only the best fans in baseball could pull this one off……

r/Rat

p.s. I am STILL the manager of the Cardinals in Strat-O-Matic.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really thought MM was leaving a couple weeks ago. I hate to see any person lose their job, but sometimes these moves are necessary. Fortunately in MM’s case, he’ll financially weather this storm with ease. I would like to take a brief moment to recognize all of the thousands of men and women in this country who will lose their jobs this month for one reason or another, but will not have the luxury of taking it all in stride financially. Especially those with young children who will now be unsure if they will be able to keep their homes or properly feed and clothe their kids as a result of losing their job. Granted, the economy is presently in fantastic shape, but still many will suffer. May they all keep their chins up and find the strength to get right back in there and find new prosperous employment!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Yeah Pugs, I agree. I really don’t feel sorry for Matheny. I mean, after all, whats he got in the bank, around $20 million or so???

r/Rat

bccran
    Participant

Losing your job is always hard, no matter how much financial security you have. It’s a mental and emotional adjustment.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I seriously doubt that Saxon’s article led to the release. I suspect that the Cardinal management knew more than Saxon about any clubhouse issues. It would have been unethical and irresponsible for someone to be fired based on a news report.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I also thought Rosenthal’s article was a little over the top. I don’t see us as desperate, just needing a change in course.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Sooner, Bernie and others have said the FO wasn’t pleased with Matheny’s quotes in Mark’s report. For somebody already on the hot seat those quotes were lighter fluid.

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 1,000 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.