Marcell Ozuna

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marcell Ozuna

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 326 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

It stands to reason that the large issue with the Cardinal outfield is Dexter Fowler. Nobody will want to pay him more than a couple/few million given the market.

A recent 33 (soon to be 34 yr old outfielder) who just finished with 1.7 bWAR had to take a minor league contract. (he was paid 2 million and made the MLB team)

Dexter Fowler is 33 (soon to be 34) coming off a 1.7 bWAR season and makes 16.5 million. Seems there is little value there and Mo and the gang would be lucky to get a bucket of balls for him at even half of his salary.

The recent 33 year old I speak of is none other that CarGo.

There doesn’t seem to be too similar of a comp to Dex in this years free agent class unless you consider Corey Dickerson. But it seems that there is a better track record with Dickerson (career OPS+ of 119) recently than Fowler(career OPS+ 105) Dickerson of course signed 2 years for a total of 17.5 M. Dickerson is also 3 years (give or take) younger than Fowler

I realize Dickerson is used as more of a platoon player, but with all things considered Dickerson seems to be more valuable.

So why would anybody give up even a bucket of balls for Dexter, when they could have signed Dickerson for half the money? The same Dickerson who put up 3.3bWAR in 2018 when given 500+ AB.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Dexter. There is really little to no value there unless we are paying over half of the contract (and not barely over half).

I suspect Ozuna will not sign with the Cardinals, and may possibly wait until the draft is complete to sign with anyone at this point, unless Atlanta steps up. We can only hope that Dexter finds the fountain of youth himself, or is the 4th outfielder while the Cardinals create competition amongst the young’ns.

Participant

Free

So why would anybody give up even a bucket of balls for Dexter, when they could have signed Dickerson for half the money?

There were a lot of teams looking for a CF this year, and there weren’t any good ones on the market. So, if a team believes Fowler can play CF, and the Cardinals insist he is the only CF they are willing to part with, I can see somebody trading for him.

Though, I agree, the Cardinals are going to have to eat an awful lot of that contract to trade him. But that is the most cost effective means of improving the roster at this point.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A team would have to be pretty desperate to want Fowler for CF. I hope we never see him in CF again. We have Bader, Thomas, O’Neill, Edman, and Carlson who can take care of it.

Participant

Free

A team would have to be pretty desperate to want Fowler for CF.

Oh, I agree. But you have Pillar who has a career .296 OBP, and Jarrod Dyson with a career .319 and Fowler with a career .359.

Now, Pillar and Dyson played last year at $5.7 million and $4 million, respectively. So, the Cardinals would have to pay down roughly $10 million for him to be a viable option for most teams. The advantage of Fowler over the other two would be an offensive tradeoff, and I believe, in general, most players can create more value offensively than defensively (unless you have a truly elite defender).

Of course, I only see two teams that Fowler would be a fit for – Arizona (where Marte prefers to play 2b) and Philadelphia, which is a small park in which Fowler could play reasonable defense.

San Francisco has a gaping hole in CF as well, but we all know Fowler could not handle CF in that ballpark.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

eff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    · 7m
    Outfielder Marcell Ozuna and the Atlanta Braves are in agreement on one-year, $18 million contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ozuna got an extra $200K by turning down the qualifying offer.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So the Cardinals will get an extra draft pick at #74 and will have the overall picks at 21 (1), 55 (2), 64 (CBB), 74 (Comp), and 104 (3)…

Participant

Free

Another hit to a lineup that did not hit. Maddening.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

If Ozuna had accepted the Cards’ QO, could the Cards have given him another QO offer next year? In other words, is it possible a team would have been subjected to losing a comp pick by signing Ozuna after he refused a QO after next season? And, can the Braves offer Ozuna a QO after next season and be rewarded with a QO after a one-year deal? Just wondering how the strategy of all that benefits/hurts Ozuna.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You only get one qualifying offer for a player. Doesn’t matter if they accept or not. They cannot get another offer ever.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think Marcel liked being a Cardinal and had foresight been 20/20 would have inked the QO. I wonder why more guys don’t take the QO – Certain situations would seem to make it a better fit, and the player can take that year and work hard to make their situation more favorable the following off season.

Anyway, this opens the door for some of our younger guys to step up and siege the moment. And if none of them do, maybe Marcel returns in ‘21.

Participant

Free

I think Marcel liked being a Cardinal and had foresight been 20/20 would have inked the QO. I wonder why more guys don’t take the QO – Certain situations would seem to make it a better fit, and the player can take that year and work hard to make their situation more favorable the following off season.

Anyway, this opens the door for some of our younger guys to step up and siege the moment. And if none of them do, maybe Marcel returns in ‘21

Marcel might of wanted to be a Cardinal but no way he was taking the QO if he thought a multi year offer was coming from somewhere. Plus he’s going to kill it more at the plate in Atlanta playing in that park. He’ll get his money and multi year deal and the only time we’ll see him on the same field as us is if he’s playing against us.

Ahh like clockwork! Right after the WWU. Dewitt comes out and gives the financial state of the union that Ozuna signs in Atlanta. This team gives subtle hints and they’re well timed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna does what his agent tells him to do, as does almost every other player. No player can understand free agency like an agent does. I agree that he will get his money and years after a season in Atlanta.

With this the Braves have acquired the power bat that they were looking for.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

For anyone who is interested in how the Nationals took the news of the Braves signing Ozuna

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the best news of the day! Woo hoo! I was concerned we would bring him back.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It turns out that if Ozuna wanted to stay in St. Louis he should have accepted the QO. The money was about the same.

The speculation that Ozuna might hold out until after draft didn’t pan out, which I didn’t think it would.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The pillow deal worked well for Donaldson in Atlanta, so perhaps Ozuna will have a good year there and get a longer term deal next off-season. Seems like it could work out ok for both team and player.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold’s wording is misleading.

“The slot of that pick and bonus money Cardinals get for their pool will be more than $200,000.”

Many already know this, but to be sure… Teams do not get money for the draft. They always spend their own cash. The value of the sum of their picks is how much of their own money they are allowed to spend without penalty.

So Ozuna’s comp selection enables them to draft an extra player and with the pick comes a designation of how much the Cardinals can spend. The amount of money defined for that slot position can be used on that player or some can go to another draftee instead.

Participant

Free

<stlc25 The pillow deal worked well for Donaldson in Atlanta, so perhaps Ozuna will have a good year there and get a longer term deal next off-season. >

I think that is exactly what Ozuna is planning on. Plus I think Mo told him that the Cards would not be bidding for his services. But you have to admit, it sure looks stupid for a supposedly star free agent outfielder to sign a one year contract. Reminds me of Lance Lynn and the Twins deal. Sure wish we had old Lance back now.

Is Castellanos still on the open market?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Castellanos still on the open market?

Yes sir he is but sadly I highly doubt the Cards will sign him. According to Mr. DeWitt we are about tapped out budget wise.

I would expect Castellanos to sign with the Rangers or Reds, hopefully not the Cubs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No Ozuna No Arendo…. it looks like Girsch & Co. will go with the younger guys. Pending spring training results, I believe that O’Neill will get the first crack at LF although Lane will be the ultimate answer. I’m not sure that Bader should be written in ink but rather pencil with an eraser nearby.

Carpenter will need to play according to his paycheck. Edman waits in the wings to replace anyone not producing and that includes DeJong-Wong-Fowler. He will be a regular soon enough.

I’m happy that the Braves helped us out.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Edman is not waiting on anyone. He should be in the line-up Day1 and stay there as long as he is producing like last year and there is no reason to think that he won’t.

Participant

Paid - Annual

GC… Agree, soon enough = opening day.

Participant

Free

First – The Cardinals never wanted Ozuna to resign. Why? $$$$$
    Second – MO – Successful? Failure? In eyes of the Cardinals ownership he is hugely successful. Look at their stated goal. Stay relevant, put a competitive team on the field, Keep the pep’s in the seats, and of course the unstated goal make $$$$ or ownership. From this perspective he is quite successful. Failure – Fan’s want ownership to put a team together to win championships. Cost is secondary. We rented Ozuna for two years at a tremendous loss of talent. We did the same with Hey Jay. Ozuna will hit 40 homers in Atlanta this year at a 280 or better batting average. He is weak in the field, and I don’t expect this to change. His arm will never be what it was b4 his injury.
    Third – Cardinals have a terrible track record of judging their own talent. Look at who they have given away. Diaz, life time 275 avg. and a plus fielder. We gave away? Demoted after a month of subpar play. By the way the chosen one who can do no wrong Mr. Carpenter’s life time average 269. We also gave away Jon Jay who is a star since leaving the Lou. Now were going to have our best hitter (Edman) in 2019 start the season on the bench????
    But at the end of the day, we will have 3 million attend the games this season. We will be competitive in the central either making the playoffs or coming close. Management will tell us they want to win and will make some changes. Which of course they will, but within budget. LOL. SOS SOS SOS. no matter what the year SOS.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Avatarwildwill11.
    Participant

Free

Cards offense was BAd last year and they lose one of their best power hitters last year and all the Front office is doing is going on hope and prayers…..sigh clueless bunch they are!

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 326 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years