Marcell Ozuna

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marcell Ozuna

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good luck to the Braves, but it is hard for me to believe they can improve over McGee’s positioning and Bader covering most of the ground to his left.

bccran
    Participant

Wish we had signed him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wish we had signed him.

O’Neill will outperform Ozuna this year and by next Carlson will be up and we’ll forget about him.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Good luck on that one!! I look for Ozuna to have a monstrous year. He just entering his prime. Big time power. Had 20 homers 62 RBIs on June 29 when he was shut down

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

If Ozuna has a monster year, and O’Neill is poor or even just so so, the Cardinals are going to look like fools.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or Carlson takes over in left a couple of months into the season and Ozuna will be forgotten. You never know…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see a huge risk for the Cards. Ozuna is a slightly above average player…worth just about 2.5 wins per year in his two years in St Louis. If O’Neill or Carlson or some combo can’t outdo that, then it won’t matter whether we did or didn’t sign Marcell.

bccran
    Participant

Carlson is indeed probably an answer for left field sometime during the season. But what about centerfield and right field? Who steps in if Bader and/or Fowler falter.
    That’s why I would have signed Ozuna. At least you’d have a proven major leaguer out there for a year in the middle of his prime, with huge upside potential.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna moved on by his choice, for comparable $. What he does going forward is a reflection on him, not Stl.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least you’d have a proven major leaguer out there for a year in the middle of his prime, with huge upside potential.

O’Neill and Carlson both have much greater upside potential this year. Ozuna’s upside is maybe 3.5 WAR, considering his average at best defense.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

(Ozuna has) huge upside potential.

He had two full years to show it in StL and didn’t do it. He performed considerably worse than his 2017 peak with Miami. Why will a renaissance occur now, all of the sudden? If other MLB teams actually believed that, Ozuna would not have had to settle for the (relatively) low contract he had no choice but to accept.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like that Marcell took the one-year deal rather than the multi-year offer from Cincy. Gotta respect a guy who wants to go out and prove he is a better player than the offers he got.

At the same time, I like giving O’Neill, Thomas, and at some point Carlson a chance to win an everyday big league job. We need to see what they can do, and Marcell did not set the bar so high that one of those guys will find it impossible to top. A good risk IMHO.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I completely agree that Ozuna had two years to show that he deserved a superstar contract and he absolutely failed to do that. Besides, the guy is a flake. Taking a chance on him for one more year would have been tolerable. But having him clog up the outfield for five years or more would have been a stupid.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals made the right choice by not bringing him back for 2020. Ozuna was a borderline bust in my opinion considering how bad his defense was and getting the extra draft pick was a no brainer. I am not surprised he ended up with a one year deal which is why I pegged his chances of accepting the QO at 40%.

Having said that, there is no rule that says that the Cardinals couldn’t bring him back for 2021 if he has a big year this year. I know that is unlikely though with the emergence of Carlson and the limited payroll room.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Depending on how Gallen and Alcantara progress this trade could be a significant loss for the Cards, and it’s already not looking good. I know Yellich wasn’t on the trade block but dang I wanted him so much more over Ozuna and I even pointed out Ozuna’s inconsistent production.

TexasCardinals
    Participant

Free

Yelich was available for the right price, but they wanted Alex Reyes and the Cardinals wouldn’t throw him in. Right now, it looks like tossing him in for Yelich would have been a win.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yelich was available for the right price, but they wanted Alex Reyes and the Cardinals wouldn’t throw him in. Right now, it looks like tossing him in for Yelich would have been a win.

Was that the rumor? I always thought that they wanted Flaherty plus more. Reyes was coming off a lost season due to TJ at that time.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am ok with him being gone. He was a poor defender and probably even worse than the numbers. I was not convinced that he is really serious about more than having fun with the game. He played a major role in the numerous times we had a good threat going and failed to score.

He may put up good offensive numbers with Atlanta but I think we will be just as good without him as we would have been if he had resigned.

bccran
    Participant

He hit 29 home runs. And his 89 RBI ranked second on the team. The only 2 batters on the 2019 Cardinals that the opponents didn’t particularly like seeing come up to the plate were Goldy and Ozuna.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Ozunas defense in LF has been about equal to Carpenters defense everywhere. That shot put to first is weak. Seems like because he has been here awhile his bad year is acceptable. One of these two has a good chance for some really good to great years going forward. And it is not the 35 yr old to be this year. I look for Ozuna to have a great year. The Bader experience ending. Come on young uns.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am satisfied with the way things turned out. However, one thing I will miss about Ozuna is I felt like he was the one guy in the lineup that could take an ace pitcher throwing a shutout deep at any time. But that throwing arm is too big of a liability for me.

bccran
    Participant

His arm probably held him back not only defensively, but also offensively. If it’s healed he could have an excellent all around season. He’s betting on that, since he turned down a $50 million 3 year contract.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“I feel a little better. We’re going to keep working on that and see what I can do”
    That was Ozuna’s quote in the Bowman article above when asked about his arm. I think if his arm really was better he would have been a lot more expressive than that. His response sounds like what I would expect if it isn’t feeling better at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.