Marcell Ozuna

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marcell Ozuna

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Free

Does he accept the one-year qualifying offer?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I hope he does. But I doubt it.

Then again, two sub-par years in a row for us so who knows what kind of offer he might get elsewhere. Free agency wasn’t on fire last year.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re asking purely for an opinion, so here mudville’s opinion. I think he’ll turn down the QO. I think he will be afraid of hurting himself and missing out on the big money contract that he wants.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think more guys should accept the QO. It seems everyone thinks there are much better long-term deals available and turn them down.

But in the case of Ozuna, why not take the one-year deal, and work hard and try to have a better year? Not only that, the club should be pretty good again next year, so you may get another shot at post season. I think there is a good chance he will be better in 2020, and can increase his value. But he has to believe that of course.

I was surprised a few years ago when Lance Lynn turned down the QO that would have paid him $17.5M. It just seemed like he would not get that kind of money anywhere else, so why not take the big payday and go out and have a big year? Obviously the counter side is you could have a bad year, or be injured, and hurt your chances at the big payday.

There was an article about Yogi Berra back in the day, where he said he never wanted to sign a multi-year deal. He felt he would always have as good or better year than before, and would be short-changing himself by signing for multiple years. Different times for sure, but that is the attitude you love to have in your players.

As a final comment, while I think Ozuna should take the one-year QO and run with it, my guess is he will turn it down.

14NyquisT
    Participant

He gone.

LouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

I agree that a guy who can’t play defense any more is headed to the AL to be a DH.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

If I’m Ozuna and things are on the slow downhill slide I’m taking the biggest long term contract I can get. Loyalty is nothing in professional sports nowadays.

14NyquisT
    Participant

work hard and try to have a better year?

That is what 2019 was supposed to be for him. He fell on his face… literally. Cards have plenty of options to replace him and I have a feeling that Carlson breaks camp on the 26-man roster.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

If Marcell is offered a QO I foresee that he will accept it. His value may turn out to be about the amount of a QO but I just cannot see another team offering him more with a long term (3yr+) contract. He is not a Machado/Harper/Rendon type player. The Cards will probably make him that offer rather than let him simply walk and at one year they would have a chance to see if he has improved in his weak areas. Some days he is the hero and others he is the zero so I guess time will tell.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

His probability of staying will be enhanced if ONeil is traded in the off season. The fact that ONeil was not much of a player in the playoffs speaks a lot of what the manager and FO think of him. He just wiffs too much. Better defender than JMart but not a better hitter.

MPWR2
    Participant

Free

two sub-par years in a row

Funny, his OPS with a bum shoulder last year was the same as Dexter Fowler’s this year when everybody was praising Fowler’s resurgence.

This year, he had the second highest OPS on the team and finished second on the team in HR, with 31, even though he missed a month of the season.

I’m thinking he accepts the QO. And I am hoping that would force the Cardinals to trade Fowler…

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The most significant changes in the 2019 Cardinals from previous teams was an improved bullpen, better defense and better base running.

In spite of the opinion of some that Mo controls the manager’s decisions, Shildt was probably the major force behind the difference. To me that is an indication of the type of team he wants.

Ozuna doesn’t fit that model. The poor range in the outfield and at times sloppy play along with a relatively high strikeout rate are problems. I would like to know how many times he struck out with runners in scoring position.

I suspect that he could do better as a designated hitter in the American League.

He may go for the qualifying offer with the hope that he would have a better year next year. But his age is also a factor. If he had another so so year his value would plummet.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think that he may take it and that would benefit the Cardinals…giving Carlson time to bet acclimated.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

get

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

If a player accepts the QO, are they immediately tradeable or is there a waiting period?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

If he accepts a one year deal I would be happy and keep him.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he bets on himself.He is one of the younger FAs and some team will see 31 HRs and think “why not”.Seems to me I have read rumors that the Reds might be interested…….of course the QO if offered will scare some teams off.Several other teams could use a LF (Indians-they have a boatload of OFs but few stay healthy-Naquin,Zimmer etc),Seattle needs hitters period,Orioles need bats also-other than Mancini -not a lot of big threats.Ozuna says he wants to stay but the FO has been quiet.Makes me think it is hoped he leaves and Cards get the draft pick comp.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

My question is: If he has the same production and defense next year that he had this year, is he worth $17.9 million?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

CIF, I think he would be if you use the 8M+ valuation on WAR.

Also, I wasn’t suggesting trading him if he accepts. If he does, he has motivation to put up huge numbers and can keep LF warm until Carlson is ready for full time duty.

Getting rid of half of Carp and Fowler’s salaries would be priority #1 if my name was Mo.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Ozuna takes the QO 17.9 million that will eat into any money the Cards could use to get a 3B or another SP (not a reclaimation project-a real solid SP instead ) and a reliable BP arm.The FO has to find a way to trade some salary away.I can only hope some team takes Fowler even if Cards eat half his contract..that still saves around 8 million a year.IIRC the figure tossed about on another hread said the Cards had 20-24 million to play with.Having Fowler limits your flexibity and blocks younger players.Carpenter is untradeable so he likely will retire a Cardinal.MO`s foolish extensions for Molina,Carpenter and the Fowler mistake equal 60 million mistakes.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Ozuna accepting the qualifying offer is good for both the Cardinals and Ozuna. The Cardinals need a power bat to compliment Goldschmidt and he is the best available. It would be good for Ozuna because he would not have teams losing a draft pick in 2020/2021. Also, 17.9 million ain’t bad.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Matching a team that actually would want Fowler and a team he would waive his no trade for is unimaginable.
    Carpenter= no trade value. Molina is Yadi. So letting Ozuna go would be the wisest move. Seriously, having Fowler and Ozuna in the same outfield is really tough on the eyes. Watching both of them dog it out there is getting old.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Seriously, having Fowler and Ozuna in the same outfield is really tough on the eyes.

There’s a reason the Cards got better this year. It’s not a popular approach, but defense matters. Up the middle and 1B got much better in 2019, now tighten it up in the corners.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Keeping Carpenter and Fowler as LH hitting bench players is ok. They basically have no alternative. Really the Cardinals offseason should be relatively quiet with only a few moves necessary:
    1. Ozuna accepts the qualifying offer.
    2. Sign Madison Bumgarner. He is the missing piece…a quality LH starting pitcher.
    3. Promote Dylan Carlson early in the season if not out of Spring training to be the 3rd outfielder.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I don’t think that any team would like to have Fowler on the bench for a long stretch. When Carlson comes up does Ozuna join Carp and Fowler sitting? Just asking how that would play out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.