Marcell Ozuna

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marcell Ozuna

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For everyone that says we should sign Bumgarner, take a look at Alex Wood. He has had one bad year, last year. Otherwise his stats are quite similar to Madbum’s. He has less mileage, and would not require a long term contract. If it works out in 2020, offer him more years, if not, let him walk. Besides, I don’t believe we are going to get Madbum any way.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Brian. You just described Matt Carpenter.

Except he is owed about about $37 million more than JMart. More often than not the money trail will lead us to the reality of the situation.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Madison Bumgarner is attainable.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Madison Bumgarner is attainable.

What kind of contract do you think he will get?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

From what I saw of Madison Bumgarner this season he doesn’t appear to be the pitcher he was 2-3 years ago. He is sort of like Kershaw in that respect. Although Kershaw did have good numbers in 2019 I don’t think, from doing the eye test, that he’s the pitcher he was 3-4 years ago either.

Isn’t anybody concerned that Bumgarner could turn into another average pitcher and not be worth the $$$ he is going to command?

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The problem with MadBum is some team will probably pay him like he’s still an elite pitcher. A lot of risk goes to whoever wins the MadBum sweepstakes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Madbum has a ton of innings on his arm. I’d be leery. I would guess he will get at least 5 years and $90-100M. He could be worth that, but a lower mileage guy like Zack Wheeler might be a safer bet, ironically.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This report has Ozuna seeking 7 years/$160 MM. So long, Marcell…

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Miklasz and ESPN = Two names I would not place any faith in. I don’t know that anybody is talking an extension or big bucks for Ozuna. The big discussion seems to be to give a QO or let him leave without one.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

7/160? uh huh, chuckling. We shall see. Mo would be on top of the Ballpark Village flagpole if he offered that deal.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3, the point is that if Ozuna wants 7/160 (or anything remotely close to it), he sure in the heck is not going to accept 1/17.8. So make the qualifying offer, take the compensatory draft pick and move on. Done deal.

BTW, let’s not tangle up the Ozuna thread with a separate discussion about MadBum.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What makes Ozuna think he is worth 7/160? He hit what, .241 this year? And was injured too.

I bet he is lucky if he gets 3/50.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who is going to the German restaurant tomorrow and have some Schweinersnitzel before he goes to the Gun Club and shoots.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

You learn in finance class that the worth of something is not based on what you paid for it, nor what you think it is worth, but rather what someone else will give you for it. Marcel may think he is worth 7/$160m, but I doubt anyone will offer anything close to that.

I see another Lance Lynn situation coming up. Ozuna will pass on the QO, and end up signing somewhere for 4/$65m, but may have incentives in the deal.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Ozuna had two years like his 2017 in St Louis, he probably would get something approaching those figures above. As is, I’ll put his final contract at 5 years and 80-85M.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The guy reporting this is a nobody who cites no sources.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Marlins and Reds are listed as interested? Both teams are cutting payroll, not adding, and the Marlins traded him to us?
    ?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Madbum will not be wearing Cardinal red next season. Any wagers accepted.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Others are writing about this “journalist’s” tweet. Hector Gomez, who retweeted it (and how I saw it) is a well-known journalist in the Dominican with 75,000 Twitter followers. His response is “That is right, brother!”

This is from NBC Chicago (the White Sox’ version of FS Midwest). Adan Lesther’s credibility/record is unclear, though there is some background here.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/here-come-hot-stove-rumors-including-one-has-white-sox-interested-marcell-ozuna-mlb-trade-rumors-free-agency-offseason-hot-stove

Personally, I don’t care if 7/160 is anywhere close to what he wants. I just believe talk that Ozuna might accept the qualifying offer is not even close to being likely. That is all that is really going to matter to the Cardinals.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna is going to Moose himself and end up with a pillow deal if he isn’t careful.

I thought getting rid of Boras was supposed to make Ozuna’s demands more realistic. Apparently not.

Oh well, I guess we can begin discussing who to select with our comp pick.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Interesting discussion on Ozuna. Seen big bat free agents pass through the Cardinals for years. I personally wouldn’t expect big resurgences from some high priced players that have been slipping in consecutive years. We do have some young guys coming up that have promise. A extremely frustrating lack of hitting though. One things for sure though- hitting in AAA and the majors is two very different things.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that the chance of Ozuna accepting the QO is extremely unlikely. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the reason he’s been dogging it for the last two years is that he wants to make sure he protects himself from getting injured because that might prevent him from getting the absolute maximum amount of money possible.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have to ask anyone to explain Ozuna getting a Gold Glove in 2017? He made 5 errors in the field, and the rest of his stats don’t look great. But he had a great offensive year, which should have 0 to do with earning a Gold Glove.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You hit the nail on the head. Voters are overly influenced by offensive numbers for a defensive award. Part of the reason for the creation of the SABR Defensive Index was to try to mitigate some of the bad voting.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think there is still a chance he takes the qualifying offer.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.