Marcell Ozuna

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marcell Ozuna

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For Ozuna to turn down $50M says plenty about where is head is at. I’m glad they let him move on. The added draft pick is a bonus.

Participant

Free

Got to say we probably all mostly liked the big bear but he shut down at near post season when we needed him most. He ended up with fair season numbers- nowhere near the contract he was paid . Like most of our lineup did not have even an average year hitting the ball. I’m sure everybody would have liked to see him return but producing. With all these young guys coming up only a fool would hang on to these rapidly fading older guys. Some guys better turn it around this year or down the road they’ll go. Team did great last year especially finishing largely due to the competition flaking out in their last regular season series. If we can generate some offense with our pitching we will be awesome.Now that the dust has settled Ozuna has recently stated that he was wanting to return but Atlanta had oreviously fielded a comparable offer and when the Cardinals wouldn’t better it they took it. Decisions, decisions. Me I don’t listen too much to other people( as a sports agent) whispering in my ear.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not sure how Radio.com ascertained Ozuna’s priority list, but KMOX thought it credible enough to highlight it…

Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB Trade Rumors projects Ozuna at 4 years/$72M. I would say there is .00001% chance the Cardinals do that, especially if there is no NL DH.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

betonline.ag lists odds for three major trades and 11 top free agents. Surprisingly, Ozuna is the only player for whom the Cardinals are mentioned. (I wish I could take the opposite of the 5/1 odds.)

Where will Marcell Ozuna sign next?
    Washington Nationals 3/1
    Texas Rangers 7/2
    Chicago White Sox 4/1
    Boston Red Sox 9/2
    St Louis Cardinals 5/1
    Houston Astros 6/1
    Minnesota Twins 7/1
    San Diego Padres 15/2

Participant

Paid - Annual

I could easily see him coming back. He liked it here. They could backload his contract and it would fit nicely.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where’s he going to play, bc? DH? I can’t see it…that ship seems to have sailed when he chose Atlanta last off-season for his one year deal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Left Field. He won a gold glove there before he got hurt.
    He’s not very good out there now, but he more than makes up for it with his bat. When the NL goes DH, he’ll be in that slot.

Participant

Free

Some said Washington was going to take a somewhat cautious approach to FA this offseason.

I don’t see us going after anyone that size and length of a deal like that with Fowler still on the books.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards in the past generally have given longer term contracts to players they have assessed positively while wearing a Cardinal uniform. Ozuna falls into that category. If they want him, they’ll find the money. Again, with it light in 2021 and heavier in out years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why do you believe the Cardinals “assessed positively” Ozuna? This feels like a rewrite of history.

Between his seasons one and two, the organization was unhappy with how he handled his shoulder. Just days after Mo said it would not require surgery, Ozuna went to LA and had “cleanup” surgery that rendered the Cardinals offseason plan for his rehab useless.

It is Ozuna’s body, so of course he should make his own decisions, but it was clear he and the team were not in sync. From that point forward, the rumblings that the team did not want to keep him beyond year two increased.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Cards felt that Ozuna was a valuable long term asset based on his time here. He was mediocre while here.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Re-sign Ozuna and block the next Arozarena, again. Pass

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, they were unhappy with the way he handled the shoulder situation. But the fact remains that he is a known entity as far as a teammate, how he interfaces with the manager, whether he is a team catalyst, what kind or personality he has, what kind of leadership traits he had while here, how he reacts in pressure situations at the plate, etc.

With a slash of .338/.431/.656/1.067 and a seasonalized production rate of 44 home runs and 136 RBI, he’s the perfect bat to hit behind Goldy.

Will the Cardinals heavily pursue him with a sculpted contract that will work? I have no idea. But I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if they might be working on it.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With a slash of .338/.431/.656/1.067

In one small sample season. There’s no reason to expect him to repeat that. In fact, his career line of .276/.335/.466/.801 is probably a realistic projection for his next several years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know about that, 25. I would say the same if it weren’t for his healthy 2017 season. Maybe that shoulder really started bothering him right after that season and now it feels fine. You never know.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, without knowing his home park, Mastersball has Ozuna with an .891 OPS next season – .290/.364/.527. But that doesn’t really matter.

Of course, until he signs elsewhere, technically a chance remains that Ozuna will return. However, considering everything, I wouldn’t give it even 5% odds of actually happening. That train has left the station.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know about that, 25. I would say the same if it weren’t for his healthy 2017 season where he had two MVP level talents around him to provide a steady diet of good pitches to hit, just like in 2020

Fixed it for you. Ozuna here would be very lucky to OPS even .850 next year, while providing horrid defense at an easy position.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No way would I consider bringing him back unless I was 100% sure the DH was in place. The thought of him bumbling around in LF makes me shudder. A match doesn’t seem to work considering he never seemed to fit in here and the Cardinals seem to be desperately trying to scrape up enough money to bring Molina and Waino back.

Participant

Paid - Annual

ditto…..

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder how he’d do with Goldy on one side of him and Carlson on the other side.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder how he’d do with Goldy on one side of him and Carlson on the other side.

He would still be bouncing off of walls and rolling throws back into the infield.

As for offense who knows? He was a MVP candidate before and after his stops in St. Louis but just mediocre here. He just never seemed comfortable here.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He said he wanted to stay in St. Louis. Maybe had something to prove, knowing he wasn’t as effective with that bum arm.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There was hardly anything said about Ozuna being injured while he was with the Cardinals. It sure comes as a convenient explanation for his poor play while here. Let’s see, he was a superstar in 2017 while with the Marlins. Then, he was comparatively mediocre for two years with the Cardinals. Then, back to being a superstar again in Atlanta just in time for his second run at free agency. It’s amazing how he can turn on superstar play seemingly at will. No, thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years