Juan Soto trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Juan Soto trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 462 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

You’re not going to build around Soto. He wouldn’t be here long. You’d be giving up the top 2 prospects in your system for a rental.

Win Cor
    Participant

Free

Soto is not a rental 2 1/2 years is not a rental and gives them that time to try to work out an extention that could really turn out to be anything. But we’ll have Soto for a 3 attempts at going deep into the playoffs. It also eases the burden of an Arenado opt out in which we hope he doesn’t do.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless Soto can turn into Ohtani I am not sure how we will be able to upgrade our pitching. Maybe we should just do some one stop shopping and trade for Ohtani instead. The Angels aren’t going anywhere.

Win Cor
    Participant

Free

We have not had a real power left handed bat since Carlos Beltran.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ohtani is a LH power bat and can pitch. Make them an offer they can’t refuse.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Social media at its core…

bccran
    Participant

The Cards are not going to spend a half billion dollars on one player. He’d be here only short term. The Cardinals like legacy types.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont see Soto as a better value (salary/projected salary vs production/projected production) than Arendano
    Yet the Nats are asking for significantly more. I think the Cards pass. They might do it if he came cheaper. Something like Carlson, Libertore, Burlson and McGreevy. But someone else Will probably offer more. Just wont be the Cardinals.

CardinalFan4Ever
    Participant

He wants AAV more than years. Gnats offered 14-440, that’s 31 mill and change a yr. Start at 10-350 and go from there. Pay off the arb yrs with the new contract to entice him, and you have him in his prime from 24-34 yrs old. I think Dewitt wants to win one more at least before he gives up control.

I also do not think he is the only superstar they are asking about either.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its all Boras driven nonsense. The idea that the Cards would be serious about taking on Soto and Corbin is laughable. Mo isn’t going to move the top two prospects either, unless it for a top of rotation starter.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Mo wanted a top of rotation starter, he should have signed one of many available this winter, and kept the farmhands intact. Verlander, Scherzer, Thor, Rondon, Ray, etc., but he didn’t.

Don’t be surprised by STL signing Dallas Keuchel at the pro-rated minimum.

bccran
    Participant

Mo felt his rotation was full with Flaherty, Mikolas,
    Hudson, Wainwright, and Matz. No room for a big off season signing.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

And yet here we sit about 2 starting pitchers short for a good post-season run at a championship.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, MO does have budget constrain. Whether or not he should have budget constraints , is another subject.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards projected payroll to open 2023 is $139M, which could change with arbitration. One could argue that they have lots of money to spend. Whether they do it remains to be seen.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matz listed above in the “full rotation” was an offseason signing.

Mo/ the FO / ownership, all of the above; CHOSE a back of the rotation arm (Matz) and passed on paying for a top of the rotation starter.

When there was room to add Matz, there was room to add a top of the rotation starter.

Sorry if I didn’t make that clear enough for everyone.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

“Mo felt his rotation was full with Flaherty, Mikolas,
    Hudson, Wainwright, and Matz. No room for a big off season signing.”

Any one with a brain knew 2-3 of those 5 would get injured and / or not meet expectations.

Matz and Flaherty are and have been hurt.
    Husdon hasn’t performed.
    Wainwright has been pretty good but he’s 80 years old.
    Mikolas has done great – I figured he was done but so far he’s been solid.

So, out of those 5 we got 1 good, 1 average, and 3 losers….piss poor planning just like last season…..

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is there a single Cardinals fan who would make this trade? It comes from Katie Woo of The Athletic.

Burleson, Carlson, Walker and Winn. One above average MLB starter with multiple years of control, the top two prospects in the system (who are already successful at Double-A) and another in the team’s top 10 who is MLB-ready. All three are in the national top 100.

P.S. I am not attacking the trade as it realistically points out how much it would cost to get Soto.

I do get why observers see a fit. The Cardinals have the players needed to get a deal done. But that doesn’t mean they would actually do it.

This is why I am personally not getting worked up about the rumors. Between the acquisition cost and the future salary, Soto just seems unrealistic for this team.

The deadline is a week away, but if Soto isn’t traded somewhere, the rumors will continue into the offseason.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2022/07/26000945/Screen-Shot-2022-07-26-at-12.08.57-AM-1536x470.png

bccran
    Participant

Name a major league team that has 7-8 proven, effective major league starters on their staff (26 man roster) heading into a season. The Cards knew Flaherty was ace quality. When Mikolas was last healthy, he had 32 starts and a 2.83 ERA. They knew he was healthy going into 2022 and he has a 2.87 ERA after 20 starts this season. Good read. Waino had a 3.15 ERA in 2020 and a 3.05 ERA in 2021. They expected his ERA in 2022 to be in the 3s. That’s where it is. Another good read. Hudson had an ERA of 3.35 with 32 starts the last time he was healthy. He was checked out healthy going into 2022. Matz last season
    had a 3.82 ERA in the tough AL East. He was coming into a pitcher friendly stadium with a terrific defense behind him.

Sorry, but the rotation was set. With depth set up to come from within. That’s the way most most MLB organizations are run.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

On one hand I can see old man DeWitt going all in tô try tô win one more before he croaks. On the other hand I think he gets a lot of enjoyment from watching and dreaming about the young prospects Just like any fan.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I can see the Cards trading Walker, Winn, Hicks and perhaps Tink Hence. They don’t fit the Dewitt mold.

bccran
    Participant

Bill Dewitt, Jr. loves prospects. In one conversation I had with him I mentioned 2 prospects at the high A level that I liked. He proceeded to tell me what he liked about them as well as what they needed to work on. Amazing.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Brian I would not do that trade.
    1) maybe with a two-day window and a belief he would sign for 13/$440.
    2) 2.5 years (only) of Soto versus 22 years of the others — I’m not convinced.
    3) if/when Soto misses time for injury it’s like the other four all getting injured at once, and we’re the 2023 Cubs.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Kscardfan, what DeWitt mold dont they fit? They are ali HS draftees but só were Gorman and Libertore.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Kscardfan, what DeWitt mold dont they fit? They are ali HS draftees but só were Gorman and Libertore.

CariocaCardinal – Goldy, Arenado, Edman, Donovan, Knizner, Romine, O’Neill, Bader, Carlson, Gorman, Nootbar, Dickerson, Waino, Hudson, Matz, Mikolas, Flaherty, Helsley, Pallante, Naughton, Thompson, McFarland, Verhagen You don’t see a difference there? They don’t fit in there do they.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 462 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.