Jack Flaherty Extension

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jack Flaherty Extension

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Sorry will got to disagree his year last year wasn’t that great….shocked he won it at all to be honest…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there is a 0% chance Flaherty signs an extension. He believes he has been underpaid. I sure would like to be underpaid at 3.9 million.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry will got to disagree his year last year wasn’t that great….shocked he won it at all to be honest…

I believe the 2020 stats were not allowed to be used in this year’s arbitration hearings.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

id bet my 401k flaherty is either traded before, or gone at FA. Not that i wasnt also at his age, but the kid is way too immature. The twitter post was embarrassing, his level of hubris for someone with such little experience is blah- we will squeeze what we can out of him and see ya later.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

C27 – re “underpaid”, Flaherty has a talent/skill that is rare, particularly when compared to the general population. Why shouldn’t he be paid accordingly? He’s also one freak/fluke injury away from it all crumbling around him, as is any athlete. I’m 100% in favor of him maximizing his earnings while he can. He thought the Cardinals’ offer didn’t reflect his current value. The arbitrator agreed.

General comment – I don’t find Flaherty immature either or no more than most 25 year olds. (Spoken from the vantage point of someone closing in on the Medicare eligibility age)

Participant

Paid - Three Months

We should just enjoy these next couple of years and deal with free agency when it comes. The Ray’s model seems to work except we won’t ever be able to trade him because we will be in a pennant chase.
    Hopefully Jack learned what happens when you divide your focus and choose to dwell mentally and emotionally on subjects too complex to fully understand much less effectively affect actual change. Wearing T shirts and tweeting may be the weakest fight for social change in human history, but it sure takes up a lot of time and focus.

Participant

Paid - Annual

At risk of straying too far toward politics, I think Flaherty can’t wait to get out to the left coast where he can be both a sports star and a pop cultural icon. Not good as far as a long term stay here, but he is entitled to direct his life as he wants to. Hopefully when the time comes Mo will rake in a haul. Meanwhile we could add a couple more flags flying above Busch.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Everyone has a right to choose his or her own destiny, and the idea of being more than just an athlete is admirable. The idea of affecting positive social change for an oppressed group is likewise admirable. Unfortunately, tweeting to like-minded followers and wearing t shirts that don’t change human hearts seems ineffective. I hope Jack focuses on baseball and succeeds in all his endeavors more matter where that eventually leads him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have to respectfully disagree and say all athletes are overpaid. Even league minimums. That being said, there is a system in place where a young man can make 3.9 million a year, and way more. Flaherty’s comments didn’t earn him that. His performance did. IMO, his comments only show a person who is out of touch, arrogant, and probably not the team player I’d want having my back.

I understand he could throw his arm out tomorrow, so he should have the right to make as much as he can within the current player/owner contract. But him complaining about ONLY making millions after only a few years in the league gets no respect from me. Just do your job, and win our Cardinals a WORLD Series

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

C27 – not sure to whom the “overpaid” comment was directed but I neither used that term nor do I think it. They’re paid what the market will bear.

As for the rest of it – that’s in the eye of the beholder.

Participant

Free

Flaherty has no feeling for the limits on revenues for employers during this pandemic, nor what the economic crisis has done to hundreds of thousands of families. A me first player who can have a negative effect on your team. He’s at his highest value right now on the trade market.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading your ace pitcher while you are trying to contend would be the most brain dead move any team has made in a long time. I could see it if the Cards were punting on the next few years, but there is absolutely nothing that has shown that Flaherty is not a team player. He may be anti-ownership but that doesn’t make him a “me first” player.

Participant

Free

The worry, 25, is if he’s anti
    ownership he could try to influence other players into that anti ownership mode. Would that be good? If you were running a company would you want that?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In fact, let’s trade away all the union players…

Whoops, there wouldn’t be a roster…

Can’t wait until there are real games to discuss instead of fake drama….

Participant

Free

Forums are places where posters can supposedly freely express opinions. It’s only called “fake drama” if in your opinion you disagree with another poster’s opinion. Which of course you have the right to do without calling it fake drama.

Participant

Free

What happened the last time a Cardinal player called out his employer in public?
    At least Cabrera has worked out okay so far. Jury’s still out on Williams and Ramirez.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The worry, 25, is if he’s anti
    ownership he could try to influence other players into that anti ownership mode. Would that be good? If you were running a company would you want that?

I don’t think it’s good or bad. I would imagine that most players have their minds made up as to whether the compensation structure of MLB is fair or not. I don’t have any problem with a guy having a chip on his shoulder when he’s providing 5-10x the value he’s being paid. Heck, we have the all timer of chippy shoulders behind the plate right now.

If you ran a company and told your sales staff…”Well, for three years we will only pay you a small salary and no commission. After three years we will pay you a small commission, but only if you’ve done great work the first three. After that you will be free to make better commissions”…would you expect exceptional sales people to be thrilled with that arrangement? Most especially if it was in some sort of line of sales where there was a cap on how long you could effectively sell it, so your younger staff were by far the best sellers. I don’t blame Flaherty or anyone else for griping about the system, even if as a fan I’m always interested in how the costs impact the on field product.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Creating a narrative that a player might be organizing anti-ownership initiatives among teammates is worthy of being labeled as “fake drama” (or worse). If you post this kind of stuff, which is your right, expect it to be questioned. If you can’t take being questioned, then don’t post. Telling others what is acceptable and not to post here is not your place as a forum member (a point that has been made many times over).

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Trading your ace pitcher while you are trying to contend would be the most brain dead move any team has made in a long time”

Baseball 101

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On a general basis, the mistrust between players and owners is deep-seated and wide spread. If you don’t agree or understand, I suggest you sit back and watch the CBA negotiations over the upcoming months. A number of knowledgeable observers predict a player lockout in 2022. Some players are more vocal than others, yes, but many others feel the same way and are quiet publicly. This is far bigger than Jack Flaherty.

On the other hand, suggesting this backdrop might somehow affect how the players perform their duties on the field would be nothing more than wild, unfounded speculation and frankly, insulting to the players’ professionalism.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

History reminder:

Steve Carlton was shipped out of town by the avowed anti-union owner over a salary dispute of $10,000. 50 years later, it is still generally considered to be the worst trade in St. Louis Cardinals history.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

Heck, we have the all timer of chippy shoulders behind the plate right now.

Thanks for the best laugh I’ve had in a while. (Agree 100% with your statement, BTW and I love me some Molina.)

Participant

Free

BW – I don’t make up what is acceptable or not acceptable to post. It’s not my place. I go by your posting rules. It’s your forum.

Participant

Free

My point extends well beyond Flaherty. It’s to the compensation expectations of guys like JF, guys playing a game…… vs. school teachers, judges, ministers, social workers, medical personnel, etc. Players union or not, let’s see him explain to those people how unfair he thinks baseball compensation is.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Social media and the internet along with social evolution has reconfigured the terrain. I doubt the front office sees Flaherty in the way Carleton was seen. I just think they see Jack as wanting to ultimately be elsewhere doing his thing on a more visible stage.

FA is three seasons away, but each time Flaherty takes the mound could potentially zero out his value if a serious injury happens. Mo has to play it right, play the odds. He doesn’t want to be like the guy trying to make the last dollar to be made in a bull market who ends up holding the bag.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years