Jack Flaherty Extension

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jack Flaherty Extension

Viewing 23 posts - 176 through 198 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Interesting, BW, that you think a guy throwing a baseball is
    worth $10,000.00 a pitch. Of course even those in a very tiny majority are due their opinion.

What you or I think has zero impact on changing anything. You may as well fret about the weather. Personally, I don’t spend a lot of energy stressing over things I cannot control.

If the St. Louis Cardinals choose to pay Joe Blow $10K per pitch, that is their business model. If you don’t want to support them by not buying tickets or watching on TV, that is your business. It is something you can control. What I get weary of, here and on the internet in general, is those who do not take action, but incessantly just gripe about it. Wasted energy, IMO.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

I couldnt agree more with brian here. No personal offense intended here bbcran, but regardless of your(or others) personal beliefs, why do you care about what someone makes in a free market if its not coming out of your pocket? And if it is coming out of your pocket (you want to take the fan $ aspect into account) then choose not to spend.

I think most people would fight to get a 25% raise if they had the option, especially if you had a small window in your life where your body, athletic abilty and skillset allowed you to make millions of dollars. If you wouldnt, or you would take that money and donate it to charity, congrats you are a better person than myself, and most people in the united states, no snark intended there.

Participant

Drive by Forest Park in St. Louis in the summer and the baseball fields are empty. They used to be jam packed
    all day and into the evening.

I also drove by the field down on “the hill” on a Saturday last summer where Yogi and Joe G. used to play with friends from morning to dusk…..and it was empty.

I have been noticing this for years. It breaks my heart that baseball fields are empty and now being converted into soccer fields. Sadly its a sign of the times. I doubt that once the backstops and the mounds come out… they won’t ever go up again.

Participant

Free

Gray – It’s because I care deeply about professional baseball and it’s future.
    I see less and less kids playing (or being interested) in the game today. And I see ticket sales going corporate instead of family friendly. And I also see a greed factor in players like JF (owners too) that threatens the game. That’s why I think players making $10,000 a pitch is disgusting and dangerous for the future of the sport. I wish they would put a hard salary cap on what any player can make, or on teams as a whole. Not a penalty for going over the cap. A hard cap. Because another threat to the industry is in having only 5 or 6 teams that have a chance to go all the way. The huge spenders. It’s heading in that direction, if it’s not already there. Competitive balance keeps a sport viably and on solid ground. I believe most fans would agree with that.

And as far as “fretting”, BW, forums are for opinions, aren’t that? Or is that going out of style too?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish they would put a hard salary cap on what any player can make, or on teams as a whole.

Would you also be in favor of a hard cap on owner profits?

Participant

Paid - Annual

A-list movie stars can make $20 million to $40 million PER MOVIE yet you rarely hear anyone complain about it. Why do athletes have to be singled out? The market bares what the market bares.

Participant

Free

But the MLB market is changing big time, gscottar. Also, what do you pay to go to a movie?

Participant

Free

25 – in answer to your comment about the owners, maybe they should have a cap on ticket prices.

Participant

Free

Personally, I dont like the salary cap for baseball. Its the only one of the 4 major sports where top 10 talent can literally never see the playing field at the highest level from draft day and its not a huge surprise. In fact I’d guess it might be more probable than not.

So drafting is so important, even beyond the first few rounds, maybe more important. I love seeing a rays team compete with a team spending 3 times what they are spending. I also love seeing a team hit bottom then rebuild, although i also realize im not the kind of fan that mlb is trying to attract.

Participant

Free

I like to root for the underdog too, Gray. The team that’s not going along with the ridiculous salaries. But if JF and his generation have their way, some of the new guys will make as much as the guys who have been in the league for awhile and the ticket prices will go even higher. And drive more people away. The “lower” compensation during the first 6 years in the majors is to balance out financially the guys making $10,000 a pitch. JF doesn’t understand that you can’t have it both ways.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Older people run the corporations that buy the suites and season tickets and advertising. Once they are gone it will be over.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

So, the decline in baseball’s popularity rests on the shoulders of greedy players. Not the ones paying them those salaries, the ones who signed media contracts that pretty much eliminated baseball on a non-pay channel, the ones who just gutted the minor league system (you know, where folks could still afford to take their kids to a game)? Those guys?

Ummmm…..no.

I’ll point out the obvious:
    Owners without players?…… no baseball
    Players without owners?….. some form of baseball.

Baseball’s decline has been going on for a long time. The decision makers acted without considering baseball’s long-term best interests. They thought the cash cow wasn’t kill-able.

Participant

Free

Very good point, blingboy. And many don’t see it. Even some TCN posters don’t see it. They think these long term huge contracts are just a matter of what the market will bear.
    $10,000 per pitch….lol. That may be the case short term, but it will strangle the industry long term, when those older guys retire and the corporate dollars start dropping off. My wife and I have seen it over the past few years. We have 4 seats to 8 home games as part of a season ticket group. It’s actually hard to find other couples to take to those games as our guests now. It gets harder every year. Even with the younger couples we invite.

Participant

Free

Totally agree with you, UConn. The fault is on both sides.

Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran, before covid how many mlb teams were losing money? My guess would be zero.

The reason that the players are trying to get paid more at a younger age is because they are getting paid less at an older age. The owners can’t have it both ways right?

Participant

Free

I don’t think so Gscottar. The reality is that MLB attendance dropped 7% from just 2015-2019. There’s a problem brewing in the industry and they all have to face up to it. Both players and owners.

Participant

Free

Those corporations arent buying green seats and suites because they feel compelled to, its an investment. And in their opinion, it pays off. That could certainly change. My company has green seats and we are allowed to treat them to those tickets as long as “business is discussed.” This could change with a stroke of a pen, and if it does there is no doubt in my mind we will dump them. Then prices will go down.

Participant

Free

There are indeed small corporate suites that are rented out on a game by game basis. Catered food in those small suites.
    Mostly business talk with a few of us drifting outside to
    the few seats that are part of the suite – to watch some of the game.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

It seems obvious the market is heading to virtual tickets to any seat you want using a Playstation or some other immersive device.

Participant

Free

Now that’s interesting, Nigel. Opens up new possibilities.

Participant

Free

Tatis $350 megabux
    The Flare family is rejoicing.

Participant

Free

Just wait until the actual attendance base keeps shrinking and the corporate dollars start going down.

Hope Tatis is philanthropic. Lots of hungry kids in those SD slums.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The P-D / stltoday article featuring Flaherty’s ‘I was terrible” comment brought out a ton of Flaherty hate in the reader comments. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way in a big way it seems.

Viewing 23 posts - 176 through 198 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years