2019 closer/relievers thread – Miller + ?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 closer/relievers thread – Miller + ?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52’s assessment serves as a good reminder that no candidate is going to be perfect in everyone’s view. No matter what, some fans will be upset about the money, or the years before free agency, or the cost of prospects in trade, or prior stats, or …

Participant

Paid - Annual

We just aren`t all going to agree.I think that fact is a given.Was checking some twitter info on MLBtraderumors and Jeff Passen seems to think that there are many deals being tossed around and today should have some trades happening.Of course that’s a guess but we shall see.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So many of the big FA relief deals have turned out badly in the last few years that it’s not hard to imagine the market being somewhat depressed outside the top few. Maybe a good deal pops up late. I still would have liked Rosenthal on the deal the Nats got him for.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wonder if the Cards are one of the “other” teams?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The answer is “yes”.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Britton seems like the type the Cards would target. They love the ground ball machines, and his price might be down a bit after his two injured seasons.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Britton seems like the type the Cards would target. They love the ground ball machines, and his price might be down a bit after his two injured seasons.

True, unless it becomes a bidding war.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kimbrel could be waiting a long time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While all the agonizing over Harper and Fowler rages on, real work remains. Bernie agrees with Bob Reed as to the number one priority – bullpen, bullpen, bullpen! 😉

He also lists a number of other areas about the team that provide optimism.

Participant

Nothing to talk about until they do something so why not talk about Fowler and his ability to get managers fired and Harper and his overrated status. It is just passing the time.

Participant

Free

Reyes will head into spring on a starters programs but could be used in the bullpen including closer.

I agree they need a couple arms but I don’t think they want to shell out nay money. I think they could get Avilan as a lefty pretty cheap. He was garbage in Philly after the trade but has been solid over his career.

Participant

Right side seems pretty well covered. Just need that lock down lefty.

Participant

Free

Andrew Miller has been my preference all along.

And for those worried about his injury “history”.

He went on the DL three times.

The first time was for a hamstring strain. That is clearly something that can be rehabbed in the off-season.

The second time was for a knee issue that put him out 60 days, but it was just knee inflamation, very likely due to coming back too early from the hamstring strain and putting added strain on the knee. I don’t personally think it’s anything debilitating or something that would affect him going forward.

The third time was related to his shoulder and he was out just the minimum of 10 days for that so I don’t think it’s a big deal. He pitched well after returning also.

Participant

Free

I don’t know the answer, but I do know that our bullpen needs serious help. We won the 2011 WS in part because the bull pen was a strength. Now I cringe when our starters leave early. We need a closer we can count on. I know there are no guarantees, but with our payroll flexibility we should be able to get a couple quality arms with no problem. Adding two proven quality arms means we can trade or send down a couple of guys who need more seasoning. Move Hicks to a setup roll where there is less pressure and allow him to continue to develop his skill set. He may be the 9th inning guy eventually, but he’s not there yet. I believe we’ll be better this year on both offense and defense, but our bullpen is the biggest ?. Improve that and we’ll be a team with a lot of balance and a lot of different ways to win games.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Miller isnt a terrible get…problem is…can you really imagine us going longer than 2yrs on aNY reliever? I can’t imagine Miller or Britton will take anything shorter than three years because someone will give it to them…they are older and had issues with injury…they want years…CArdinals dont seem to want to give anyone years

Participant

I was at the game when Hicks threw 3 pitches that registered 105 on the gun. Tied the record for the fastest pitch in the history of MLB. He now has major league experience. What does he need to work on to be our closer? Control?
    Another pitch?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks has to hone his control, to be sure. A touch of consistency would go a long ways, as well.

Participant

Good FA closers are going to wantmultiple year contracts. With a talent like Hicks. who may be close to being an outstanding closer, do we want to spend big multi year money on an expensive FA closer? Gotta give Hicks credit. Promoted right from high A to the majors?
    No stop at AA or AAA? Wow.

Participant

The talk of “fixing” the bullpen is a waste of time. If they have eight relievers then there’s not much room for any acquisitions.
    Theses guys will be in the pen in 2019
    Cecil
    Gregorson
    Shreve
    Hicks
    Brebbia
    Hudson
    Gomber (unless he starts then Gant)

That leaves room for one pitcher from the outside. So, if they get a pitcher he better be a Hall of Famer because most of the bullpen that was horrible last year will still be there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Cecil, Gregorson and Shreve are in the bullpen the Cardinals are going nowhere.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would guess if the Cards sign Miller or Britton, Webb or Mayers would likely be outrighted or cut. I’ll also be surprised if Gregerson or Cecil struggle in the spring that they would be cut.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Strickland or Herrera are on the radar if they fail to get MIller or Britton. Strickland might be got on a make good deal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t care how hard up the Cardinals are for bullpen help. I don’t think they should give Miller or Britton more than two years. The craziness has got to slow down, and maybe some day, even stop.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont get the consternation over Gregerson. It was 12.2 innings. Probably pitching through injury during part of it. In fact, if you entertain the possibilty that he was injured during his last 2 appearances before his 1st DL stint and his last one before his second DL stint then his ERA in the rest of his appearances was below 4.0. Of course we have no way of knowing if that was the case but it is certainly possible and plausible if not likely.

We also have no.way of knowing if he will be healthy in 2019 but the cost is sunk and if not healthy he wont take a roster spot if on the DL. Is it possible he will be healthy and totally bad? Possible, but I see no reason to assume that.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 260 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years