2019 closer/relievers thread – Miller + ?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 closer/relievers thread – Miller + ?

This topic contains 259 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Bob Reed 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 251 through 260 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kelvin Herrera is still out there, and has almost no buzz for a guy who’s been effective his whole career. Not a ton of Ks but good control. If he could be plucked for a year, I wouldn’t mind it.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Question is, who do the Cards target for the bullpen now? Because it is NOT good enough yet. Not enough quality or depth. Not when you figure that (1)at least one bullpen candidate and possibly two from among Gant, Gomber, Poncedeleon, and maybe even Dakota Hudson, will need to stay stretched out as a starter in Triple-A, and (2)some guy or guys will come up with a bum flipper during Spring Training.

Our starting pitcher depth chart AFTER the first five goes:

Alex Reyes
    John Gant
    Austin Gomber
    Dan Poncedeleon
    Dakota Hudson

OUr bullpen will likely be Miller, Cecil, Gregerson, Leone, Hicks, Shreve, Mayers, Brebbia. After those (8), we would first backfill from the above (5)

Then you get into the 40-man Triple-A relievers such as Giovanni Gallegos and Tyler Webb. Then you have Genesis Cabrera and Ryan Helsley.

I am pretty comfortable with our bullpen beyond Cecil, Gregerson, and Leone.

———————

That said, I would’ve loved a David Robertson signing. Short of him, Adam Ottavino looks best to me, assuming his control issues are behind him. I think Wilson would have been good here prior to adding Miller. Kimbrel is, of course, the most effective remaining piece.

I do like Cody Allen too, as a comeback candidate. He seemed to lose his curve this year though, causing a rise in walks and homeruns. Maybe they could get him back on track. Not sure if I am okay with pushing anyone off the roster, short of getting rid of Cecil or Gregerson, for any other free agent like Brad Brach, Bud Norris, or Kelvim Herrera.

Now, if we could trade someone like Mayers or Leone with Martinez, then I could see a nice upgrade there.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As Pads notes, there are many in-house options for relief. What I sense is bothering some is that there is no clear closer.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Out of options mayers and shreve seem like trade candidates.

Out of options gant seems like a perfect piggy back long reliever for wainwright.

But all three could lessen the roster crunch through trade.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i agree on no clear closer…but maybe that is the “Future” of bullpens…ugh

I agree with PAds on pairing JMart (or Gyorko IMO) with Mayers (though im not up for pairing Leone unless the return is good)…but id add Ponce or Gomber or Gant to that grouping to get something solid back… then target some other options

I’d still like to see a vet for the pen signed to make the kids not be handed any spots jus because of how last season went down

Greger, Cecil have to show up in ST or they wont be making it, but the kids also have to show up to beat them…i know we have some other guys down there who will be wanting spots like LAyne and Cervenka and Helsley and Cabrera…but i would feel better with a few vets…a couple STI minor league deals and for me one MLB deal guy….someone who HAS closed
    Herrera, Allen, seem expensive but possible…Romo has experience too…Ramos, Brach, several others

I like David Phelps as a good look too, CLippard, Boxberger..Avilan, NOrris, PArker, HUdson…so many

really there are LOTS of good RP options out there….almost far too many, which woudl make me a bit worried if i were one…

saving money in your bullpen has always been a thing, but the quality of the relievers out there is pretty high IMO…maybe they arent closers but there is a lot of good innings in the pen out there

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not just bring Bud back since there is familiarity?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

These are the 38 pitchers that I count from the STL/MEM rosters. There will be 26(+/-) opening day spots. Some of these will be closer to the cut line than others and 12 (+/-) will be gone by Memphis’ opening day April 4th.

Is there a closer that will emerge during spring training, or do we need to add a closer from outside the organization that will be added to this already crowded list? This is a question that the FO will need to determine either before the winter ends or nearer to opening day.

Arauz
    Beck,C
    Beck,L
    Brebbia
    Cabrera
    Cecil
    Cervenka
    Elledge
    Fasola
    Flaherty
    Gallegos
    Gant
    Gomber
    Gonzalez,D
    Gregerson
    Hauchild
    Helsley
    Herget
    Hicks
    Hudson
    Latchem
    Layne
    Leone
    Martinez,C
    Mayers
    Meisinger
    Meisner
    Mikolas
    Miller
    Morales
    Perez,W
    Poncedeleon
    Reyes
    Shreve
    Wacha
    Wainwright
    Warner,Au
    Webb
    Woodford

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

seems fair price in the market that has emerged for Herrera

at least the RP market has started to churn… it’s been so dead for any movement

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Our starting pitcher depth chart AFTER the first five goes:
    Alex Reyes
    John Gant
    Austin Gomber
    Dan Poncedeleon
    Dakota Hudson

Our bullpen will likely be Miller, Cecil, Gregerson, Leone, Hicks, Shreve, Mayers, Brebbia. After those (8), we would first backfill from the above (5)

Then you get into the 40-man Triple-A relievers such as Giovanni Gallegos and Tyler Webb. Then you have Genesis Cabrera and Ryan Helsley.

I am pretty comfortable with our bullpen beyond Cecil, Gregerson, and Leone.

Thanks for the response, Pads. And I do wish I were as optimistic as you. (I like the bullpen okay for 2020 and beyond, because by then some of these guys will have separated themselves from the pack. And they’ll likely be adding Woodford & Kruczynski to the mix as well.)

But for 2019 there just aren’t that many guys listed above who I’d bet even money will be (1)healthy for at least 5 of 6 months, and (2)will also post a sub-4.00 ERA for the Cards.

Alphabetically, that would be Brebbia, Gant, Hicks, Hudson, Miller, and Ponce. That’s it, those six only. And Hudson or Ponce or both may stay stretched out in AAA, at least to begin the year.

That’s why I coveted Kikuchi as much as I did. He would’ve pushed Wainwright to the pen — where he might actually be able to post a mid-3’s ERA for months on end. Then, add one more legit relief arm in exchange for Jose Martinez, or Martinez plus a prospect if necessary, and you have a mucho more reliable relief corps.

I don’t know exactly what the White Sox (or Mariners) are thinking, but I suppose this makes a Nate Jones trade less plausible. Hard to tell who’s tanking these days. Perhaps they could each fly oversized flags outside their stadiums, but instead of an L or W, it could be a T.

Viewing 10 posts - 251 through 260 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years