Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,801 through 1,825 (of 2,317 total)
  • Author
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

Capel was recalled by Oakland Tuesday.
    Tuesday vs SEA 1-3, BB
    Thursday vs SEA 2-3, BB
    Friday vs Mets 1-3
    Today vs Mets 3-5, 3B, HR, 2 R, 4 RBI

Glad to see he’s doing well.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, nice stretch for Capel. Maybe he will make the “all-former-Cardinal” team I listed in the other thread. Probably should have put that here.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Johan Oviedo has now made five September starts for PIT.

20.2 IP
    3.05 ERA
    3.06 FIP
    2-1 W/L with two no decisions vs the NYM
    55 avg GmSc (Sept)
    78 GmSc yesterday vs CHC

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So is Oviedo having his Pete Kozma moment of glory or is it deja vu all over again?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s in a good spot to continue his development at mlb. Likely auditioning now for next seasons rotation and IP available if he earns them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

White Sox release:

After undergoing additional testing and medical procedures over the past week, doctors for Tony La Russa have directed him to not return as manager of the Chicago White Sox for the remainder of the 2022 season

Bench coach Miguel Cairo will continue to serve as acting White Sox manager through the remainder of the 2022 season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Three strikes but he’s not out!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Best wishes to TLR and DD.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

For those that dont know, White Sox acting manager Miguel Cairo is also a formar Cardinal

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2022 John Brebbia:
    72 games
    65 IP
    18/53 BB/K
    2.77 ERA
    146 ERA+

1982 willie
    Participant

Edmonds is crazy. Some guys never learn

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Former Cards minor league catcher finally made it to the top!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, Edmonds on spouse #4. Hopefully this one lasts.

Great photo of a youthful Dave Duncan.

I have always liked Oviedo and think he will mature into a very good MLB pitcher.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two ex-Cards out in KC…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This new Royals owner is cleaning house.

President of Baseball Operations, Manager, and Pitching Coach all out.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Royals really stunk so it would be hard for them to complain about it.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s an interesting story from a website called ‘Mental Floss’. I think it kind of applies to the Royals. The writer’s name is Hannah Keyser. Her source was Leo ‘The lip’
    Durocher.

The Nice Guys Finish Last line came about because of Eddie Stanky too. And wholly by accident. I’m not going to back away from it though. It has got me into Bartlett’s Quotations— page 1059, between John Betjeman and Wystan Hugh Auden—and will be remembered long after I have been forgotten. Just who the hell were Betjeman and Auden anyway? It came about during batting practice at the Polo Grounds, while I was managing the Dodgers. I was sitting in the dugout with Frank Graham of the old Journal-American, and several other newspapermen, having one of those freewheeling bull sessions. Frankie pointed to Eddie Stanky in the batting cage and said, very quietly, “Leo, what makes you like this fellow so much? Why are you so crazy about this fellow?” I started by quoting the famous Rickey statement: “He can’t hit, he can’t run, he can’t field, he can’t throw. He can’t do a goddamn thing, Frank—but beat you.” He might not have as much ability as some of the other players, I said, but every day you got 100 percent from him and he was trying to give you 125 percent. “Sure, they call him the Brat and the Mobile Muskrat and all of that,” I was saying, and just at that point, the Giants, led by Mel Ott, began to come out of their dugout to take their warm-up. Without missing a beat, I said, “Take a look at that Number Four there. A nicer guy never drew breath than that man there.” I called off his players’ names as they came marching up the steps behind him, “Walker Cooper, Mize, Marshall, Kerr, Gordon, Thomson. Take a look at them. All nice guys. They’ll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe the Royals will continue the ex-Cardinal thing and hire Mike Shildt. I imagine he would like to manage again. He might be a candidate for the White Sox too.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pujols reportedly will fulfill his 10 year personal services contract with the Angel’s and is excited to see who the new owner will be.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The above per an LA Times article yesterday.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That sounds like Albert. From what we hear he is a stand-up guy, and if he signed a contract he intends to fulfill his commitment. Plus it is an extra mil a year I think, or is it $3M? Not sure what the exact number is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

it is a lot easier to be a standup guy when you get paid $1MM per year for 10 years to make appearances. But he won’t be “standing up” for the Cardinals for a long, long time.

Instead, Pujols could walk away from the deal and I bet the Angels would be delighted. So would the Cardinals, but it isn’t like they are going to ante up $10MM to buy it out. Moreno is selling the team, but the new owner is required to fulfill the commitment.

So when Pujols will enter the Hall of Fame, he will be an Angels employee. Ugh!

Shortly after Pujols’ contract was announced, MLB banned these kinds of clauses. They also prohibit players from being partial owners. Pretty clear why.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well this is terrible news..

Viewing 25 posts - 1,801 through 1,825 (of 2,317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.