Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,826 through 1,850 (of 2,317 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Sutter was only 69 years old. Was always a big fan of his. Always love to bring Sutter into the game during the late innings when I’m playing Strat-O-Matic. He is almost always pretty much money in the bank.

1982 willie
    Participant

My son texted me about this, not long before he texted me about the guy who played hagrid in the Harry Potter movies dying. It’s hard to wrap around. I just don’t think of these guys as being that old but I’m getting that old so it shouldn’t surprise me. I think your mental picture of people tends to hang around your biggest memories of them so it skews your thinking. To me Bruce was and is the best closer I ever saw. He could easily go multiple innings as well as come into innings with guys on. No jab at worrell cause he was great but I think if sutter is the closer in 85, he doesn’t give up those runs after that horrendous call. Rest in peace, Bruce. In my memories you will always exist.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Man, Brock, Gibson and now Bruce Sutter gone. My Cardinal HOF heroes who provided me with countless thrills. Bruce Sutter was without question the best closer I’ve seen play. Hand him the baseball in the 7th and hang another W on the board.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thought of making a separate thread on the passing of Bruce Sutter, but this is as good of a place as any to share our memories and respects for Bruce.

Those of us who watched the Cardinals in the 1980s recall what a terrific weapon “Engine #42” was in the late innings. I was a bit concerned about Whitey giving up Leon “Bull” Durham in the deal to acquire Sutter, but with Keith Hernandez anchored at first it was dealing from strength.

Sutter was a phenom when he first came up with the Cubs and threw the split-finger. No one had seen quite the effect it had, even though the pitch had been thrown well before his time, most notably by the Pirates’ Elroy Face. But I believe Sutter threw it with more velocity.

He was often used for more than an inning, as was the practice back then. He would come in and usually take care of the final 4-9 outs of a game. From mid-1976 to 1984, we was incredible. Not only was he tough to hit, and would strike out a lot of hitters, he rarely walked anyone. His career K/BB is close to 4 (I think it is 3.64).

One of the guys that pioneered the closer role. Hard to see these guys pass on. RIP Bruce!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember the Cardinals tried to sign him but he left for a bigger payday and a no trade clause. We were lucky Worrell emerged by the end of the next season.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yep, Ted Turner wanted to get the Braves back to being competitive as they were a big part of his WTBS programming. So he opened the checkbook and brought in Sutter. But in a similar way that Ernie Broglio was damaged goods when he left the Cardinals, Sutter experienced the same fate.

Bruce may have gotten hurt either in Spring Training or early in the year, as I recall he had a good Spring and seemed like the same consistent pitcher he had been. But then struggled fairly early in ‘85.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t Luhnow relocate to Mexico and get involved in the Mexican League? Any idea what he is doing now?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Luhnow is running lower level soccer teams in Mexico and Spain. He is still in denial that he knew anything against the rules was happening in Houston. No one other than his wife apparently believes him.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/13/jeff-luhnow-soccer-astros-daily-cover

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He had better luck convincing people that nothing proprietary left STL with him. Eventually it catches up to you.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes would be smart to go to LA. In half a year he would outperform anyone in the Cards bullpen except Helsley for a team like the Dodgers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nine lives has Mr. Miller…

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Wong traded to Seattle

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

More details on the Wong trade.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I read where Seattle considered Winker cancerous. He is now free to take his bad back to Milwaukee while a winning player heads westward.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And Winker mows us over because we won’t pitch around him. I hope he isn’t well, because he was a Cardinal killer!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

0.0 Toro
    1.8 Winker
    for
    0.1 Wong
    1.75 cash

BTV has 1.80 for 1.85

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also mentioned elsewhere, the New York Mets signed starting pitcher José Quintana to a two-year, $26 million deal.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quintana was essentially pitching in his walk year in 2022. It will be interesting to see what he does now that he’s clocked an additional $26M which will probably be his last contract.

Jason Heyward is always high on the list of “worst contracts”. He had that real good year with us, and never came close to that in Chicago. He did get a ring though and will forever be cemented in Cubs lore as a member of the team that broke the curse. Dexter will be as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,826 through 1,850 (of 2,317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.