Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,601 through 1,625 (of 1,688 total)
  • Author
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Haven’t seen any MLB stats for Carlos Martinez of the Giants so far this year. Any word on if he is throwing?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All I know is that Martinez remained behind in Arizona to continue his rehab. He didn’t appear in any games this spring.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So Matt Adams is in Indy ball now. I wonder if he tried to get a job in Korea or Japan.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt’s uncle posted here for a few years when Matt was a Bird. He was such the nice fellow. I see that our old pal, Michael Wacha, is dealing for Boston tonight. He was absolutely splendid in his last outing. Hopefully he can keep it going. In these older years, I find myself rooting for all ex-Cardinals, except of course the ones playing for the cubbies……I totally loathe the ground those guys walk on. When I was young, I rooted for any and all ex-Birds to preform poorly, as I wanted to be happy that they didn’t light the world on fire once they left St. Louis. I guess we humans do become better people as we grow older. Some of us(luckily not myself) certainly become crankier though as we drift on by the age 50 mile marker.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember Pham was not happy about the offers he got last winter, but he doesn’t even look like he can play. O and D bad.

And I also wonder how long Wong and his .200 OBP will be leading off. 0-4 leading off today. He was always streaky though, but hopefully he will be streaky until the Crew are eating our dust.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Austin Gomber was having a Hudson-like start to his season, but he also righted the ship with a GmSc of 72 Saturday. His GmSc average is now 48 after three starts in 2022.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Gomber has pitched well for the Rockies when healthy. His problem has been typical of Cardinal-bred pitchers; keeping off the IL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t realize jon Jay was still playing til my son told me he had just retired. He was a fine ball player. My son really liked him. I wish him the best.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He hadn’t played very much at the ml level the last couple seasons. So this was likely the best case for him.

Solid career. Got his 10 yrs in and can enjoy life.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Elehuris Montero gets called up as Bryant goes on the IL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After only 15 plate appearances in Triple-A, Dexter Fowler opted out of his minor league contract with Toronto and is again a free agent.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The former Cardinals farm hand made it back to the Bigs after having last played there for San Diego in 2020.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I pretty much always rooted for ex-Cardinals as a kid, although I hated it if they came back to burn us. I saw Steve Carlton shut us out in Busch one night as a teenager back in ‘72. Around that same time I saw Rick Wise pitch a terrific game against Pittsburgh, only to lose when former Cardinal Vic Davillio bounced a single up the middle plating what turned out to be the winning a run in the 10th inning I believe, to hand the Cards a 2-1 loss.

The ‘70s were bad times for the Cardinals, as we have mentioned on here quite a few times.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I loved the seventies as a cardinal fan. I know the team didn’t do that well during that time but I didn’t care about that stuff back then as much as I do now. Love of the game and the Cardinals.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The ‘70s were a good time for baseball. That Big Red Machine was as good of a club over about a 6-7 year stretch as any team in baseball history.

Man, what a fall that franchise has taken. They have what seems to be the worst ownership group in MLB. People out here complain about the Rockies’ owners, but that guy that is the principal owner of the Reds really seems like a piece of work. At least from what I have seen in the media, he is a pompous, egotistical ass.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Martinez article says he was released before May 1, probably due to Article XX(B) of the CBA. He finished 2021 on an MLB roster or injured list, signed a minor league congract, and so had to decide whether to opt out before May 1. Uhm, OK, but further up the thread is Fowler, who was released May 3rd. Why wouldn’t he also be an Article XX (B) guy, and why after May 1 rather than before?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I believe a player hás tô be given the option tô.opt out by May first. Fowler’s contract might have had a May first date also an anytime after date if not on a Major League roster. A lot of flexability in minor league contracts

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Yea they said on 101.1 that Carpenter released himself from the Rangers so who knows. I wonder if Mr. Weaver fact checked his sources.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With that short porch in right, carpenter might be a good fit in Yankee stadium. Still hard to believe though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,601 through 1,625 (of 1,688 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.