Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 16 posts - 1,476 through 1,491 (of 1,491 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am thinking they don’t send AAA guys to AFL, but maybe that is old info, or wrong altogether.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Either way, he needs to be there given his lack of professional playing time.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

Patrick Wisdom hit a 3-run HR today, his 27th, setting a Cub rookie record.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Patrick Wisdom hit a 3-run HR today, his 27th,

For perspective. Goldschmidt has 26.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

“For perspective. Goldschmidt has 26.”

And Wisdom making $570,000.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidt is having a better year than Wisdom but yes the pay difference is large. Going forward one player has a proven track record and one doesn’t.

I am just glad we didn’t give up and trade O’Neill. His numbers are also better than Wisdom’s and he too is making the league minimum.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The thing that is eye catching about Wisdom’s year is the RATE at which he is hitting home runs. He is hitting a home run every 11.89 at bats. Only two players have a better career rate, McGwire at 10.61 and Ruth at 11.76 (includes players with 3,000 minimum plate appearances). What’s the likelihood that Wisdom comes close to matching this in future seasons?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Zero if he doesn’t get the 40% K rate under control.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

The amazing thing about Wisdom is he set the Cub rookie HR record in 321 PAs, breaking Kris Bryant’s previous record of 26 which took him 559 PAs. BTW, Bryant’s K rate that year was 36%, and he went on to win the MVP award the next year.

If you take out McGuire who like Sosa was on the juice when he hit all those HRs, only Babe Ruth has a better HR rate.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What amazes me is that the cub rookie HR mark only sat at 26. As with any organization that’s been around for over 100 years, they’ve had some pretty big boppers over the years. Banks, Billy Williams, Santo, Hack Wilson, just to name a few. I kind of scoff at 26…..if given the chance, I think I could have banged out 26 dingers in my sleep, while in my prime. Anybody know what our Cardinal record is for this feat?

Paul7
    Participant

Free

Would have to be Pujols with 37 HRs in 676 PA.

Wisdom has 27 HRs in 353 PA so far.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quote from MLBTR about Nogowski

” in the small sample size of 147 PA in the majors, Nogowski has a very high 87.8% contact rate, so there is some interesting potential if Nogowski is able to improve the quality of that contact”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This was the quote that caught my attention:

Given the Giants’ knack for revitalizing hitters, it might not be surprising to see Nogowski translate those minor league numbers into production at the big league level.

The Giants have certainly figured something out when it comes to getting the most out of nothing. Their roster is basically a combination of past their prime veterans and washed out has beens, yet they are on pace to win around 105 games.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Pirates gave up on Nog pretty quick but the Giants see something worth working with. They do seem to know what they are doing. They got him for free so why not.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Brian Walton

Ramon Urias (a CC favorite) is making his first MLB start at 2B tonight for the Orioles.

I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere but Urias has had a fine season for the Orioles with a .279 BA, .361 OBP, 115 wRC+ in 300 PAs. Slightly negative defensive stats while mostly playing SS now. He just got hurt so his season is over, but I’m really happy for him.

Viewing 16 posts - 1,476 through 1,491 (of 1,491 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years