Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,451 through 1,475 (of 1,486 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Those highlight reel plays that Bader turns in are as enjoyable as a HR for me, more so, at times. I don’t think Bader has hit maturity yet. He’s still trying to get better, and he has been better at times this year. He could still become the leadoff hitter we’re looking for.

(It’s amazing that some sportswriters will run cover for the PED users. They are clearly complicit in the whole thing.)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

See, the Cardinals screwed up again… Oh, never mind…

Point taken, but even in a case like this somebody else got more out of Nog than we did. Sigh.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If Wisdom and Garcia, or anyone really, has no perceived value to another organization, then why not keep him?

Maybe they are blocking guys you prefer to give playing time to, but I don’t know, seems like anyone under 30 that has shown some ability should be worth hanging on to if they cannot bring anything back.

I am sure the organization has good reasons why they DFA a guy. You do that enough and someone is bound to slip through who did well with a new start. It just seems that the Cards mess up more than other clubs, but that is probably more a perception than fact since this is the organization I follow.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds about right.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Amazing. What team wouldn’t want to trade with the St. Louis Cardinals? This could work to our advantage. Mo need only announce that a certain young Cardinal was on the trading block and bidding would be open in one hour. You could almost expect a bidding frenzy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is Wisdom’s path AFTER the Cardinals traded him.

DFAed
    Unclaimed off waivers and outrighted to minors
    Free agent
    Signed majors deal
    DFAed
    Released
    Signed minors deal
    Added to MLB roster
    DFAed (2 days later)
    Unclaimed off waivers and outrighted to minors
    Free agent
    Signed minors deal
    Added to MLB roster

So anyone suggesting the Cardinals missed on him does not understand what happened in the years since. It is a great story of perseverance, but it came after Wisdom established a long track record as a journeyman who was available to EVERY organization for basically nothing FIVE different times.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mo needs to watch the “Opposite” episode of Seinfeld. Like George Costanza did, he could transform his current run of one failure after another to become MLB’s darling model of a championship building POBO. And it’s so easy. For all decisions, he just needs to listen to what his natural instincts tell him to do, and then — do the opposite.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wisdom was available to every organization, including the Cardinals. I think what happened is somebody suggested a change that worked for him. We need to hire that guy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yeah, the Cards really needed another AAAA corner infielder. I just love the 20-20 hindsight that emerges when picking bones.

I understand those critical of the Cardinals organization. But citing Wisdom as an example defies logic.

P.S. “That guy” to whom you refer would almost certainly be someone from the Cubs. How are things going for them overall? In fact, how is it going for Wisdom these days?

A: Wisdom’s OPS this season for the Cubs:

May 1.633 (16 PAs)
    June .950
    July .785
    August .662
    Next Cooperstown?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

“Extensor carpi ulnaris subsheath fixation” procedure. Sheesh – try saying that 5 times in a row. Hopefully it fixes whatever has been ailing Mr. Piscotty.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Juan Encarnacion in trouble with the law in The Dominican.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wisdom had his shot with the Cardinals. He got hot for a good bit but it’s no more than that. I’m happy for him and hopefully this gets him some money and some more time in the league but I don’t think he was the cubs trading Brock.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Maybe that is the reason Juan E hasn’t had a sighting the last few years. Sometimes better to leave things alone. if what they are saying is true he needs to be in jail.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

kscardfan, I believe Encarnacion is already in jail. It wasn’t clear to me if you were saying that or not.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea if what is being said is true, encarnacion deserves lots of jail time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Was throwing 102 in the eighth inning…

Paul7
    Participant

Free

Patrick Wisdom hit HR #26 today (447′), tying a Cub rookie record. 30 is in sight.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Alcantara and Gallen in one trade. I know they thought Ozuna was the answer, but that has to be the worst trade of the Mozeliak era by far.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Ozuna didn’t live up to expectations but 52 homers and 177 rbi helped us. His fielding was atrocious but he had a solid 2nd season for us. Was it worth it due to the production no but we needed a bat.

Hated him like most but I would call it a push based upon the production and playoff appearances by both players. Ozuna at least had some playoff games under his belt and he did help us in 2019.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have long been able to trade for middle of the order power. At the time of the Ozuna trade I don’t think anyone knew the pitching pipeline was going to run dry, including the people who get paid to know.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Can you all imagine how electric Alcantara would be pitching for us this year. With this groundball arsenal, this elite defense, and run-suppressing stadium?

The Marlins have clearly won that trade though given how mediocre Ozuna was, especially with the 2 Cardinal years sandwiched between two career years, and the way Gallen and Alcantara have pitched. Hopefully, the Cardinals can recoup some value out of Burleson, who was the draft pick we gained from Ozuna signing with the Braves.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully, the Cardinals can recoup some value out of Burleson

Hopefully next year he will recover from the trauma of being beamed up to AAA. I think prior to this year his last significant game action was in NCAA. An absurd progression, but maybe the new norm for touted prospect types. At least he made a stop in AA earlier this year.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

blingboy

The Cards have long been able to trade for middle of the order power. At the time of the Ozuna trade I don’t think anyone knew the pitching pipeline was going to run dry, including the people who get paid to know.

I think the writing should’ve been on the wall on this.

Starting in 2017, we let established guys like Lynn, Leake, and Wacha go for better or worse.

At the same time, we traded up-and-comers Weaver, Gallen, Alcantara, Marco Gonzales, and Gomber. (picking up O’Neill, Goldschmidt, and Arenado in the process)

In addition to that, we had multiple season-ending injuries to some of the guys we kept and some of our starting pitching prospects, such as Hudson, Martinez, Mikolas, Hicks, and Reyes.

Finally and probably most important, starting with the 2017 draft, we lost multiple top picks due to the cheating scandal, for signing Greg Holland, and trading one to Arizona for Goldschmidt. Likewise, we only drafted two elite pitching prospects that could help soon in Griffin Roberts and Zack Thompson. Our int’l prospects from the back half of the 2010s like Seijas, Junior Fernandez, and Oviedo have paled in comparison to the class of guys before such as Alcantara, Reyes, and Martinez.

Mozeliak and company have fended this off however picking up under-the-radar starters like Mikolas and Kim, but we were certainly left short-handed this season.

I think we are getting back to having the pipeline again though. With trade for Liberatore, the drafting of Michael McGreevy, and allowing Oviedo some AAA development, we should be back on track in 2022. I do think they need to sign an elite starter to supplement the 2022 rotation. A ground ball guy like Alex Wood or Marcus Stroman (both only 30 years old) would likely be better with our defense than pursuing a Scherzer type.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

blingboy

Hopefully next year he will recover from the trauma of being beamed up to AAA. I think prior to this year his last significant game action was in NCAA. An absurd progression, but maybe the new norm for touted prospect types. At least he made a stop in AA earlier this year

He’s had a .982 OPS over this past week and, hopefully, can keep it up through September. He’d be the prime candidate for the AFL too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,451 through 1,475 (of 1,486 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years