Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,401 through 1,425 (of 2,317 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was hoping Goldschmidt would put up some fat numbers with NA hitting behind him.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

That’s the scary thing for your team, what if Goldy is getting good pitches in order not to walk him but still batting poorly?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Paul7
    Participant

Free

HR #10 for Patrick Wisdom tonight.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bernardo Flores Jr. claimed off waivers by COL.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure where to post this, but since Ted Simmons and Scott Terry were in attendance this will work.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-shildt-wont-scapegoat-coaches-urges-hard-conversations-with-albert-hitters-about-changing-approach/article_7c763f81-683e-5e44-9118-8af435a81aa0.html#tracking-source=home-trending

Added to the end of that Goold column about other stuff was mention the Harris Stowe College dedicated their refurbished stadium. Apparently there is an effort to tie it to the Stars, Cool Pappa Bell’s team in the Negro League. All well and good as the Stars played in that area off Compton near Lindell. But there is an issue with this statement:

“Once home to an early baseball dynasty in St. Louis, the Stars of the Negro Leagues, the ballpark underwent $1.2 million in renovations . . .”

The issue is that it is utter and complete poppycock. Absolutely untrue. The park where the Stars played, a photo of which I had dug up and posted long ago in the defunct The Cardinal Nation Blog, is long gone. There was no stadium at all there for a good while until Harris Stowe Teachers College began using the grounds thereabouts for athletic fields. Eventually a grandstand was built that morphed into the stadium referred to. It is not the same stadium and it is not even on the exact spot, being somewhat to the south of, and approximately adjacent to, the site of the Stars stadium.

But I am happy that St. Louis’s Negro League heritage is being remembered. Thanks to current Cardinals Flaherty and Miller and Cardinals Care for their involvement. Feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Nogo was a no-show for us, although he never got a chance for regular playing time. The way it is going he will likely be the Player of the Week here soon for Pittsburgh.

Seems like the ticket for success is to leave St. Louis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cursed year for Rosenthal. First Thoracic Outlet affecting his shoulder and now hip surgery.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Nogo was a no-show for us, although he never got a chance for regular playing time. The way it is going he will likely be the Player of the Week here soon for Pittsburgh.

Yep.

Nogowski 7-12 with scoreless frame

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Great for Lynn
    I always liked him. He’s just a work horse. Should never have let him go but that’s my opinion.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, it would have been great to keep Lynn. But when he reached free agency, he wanted to test the market and learned the hard way that teams did not see him the same way he saw himself. It took him four more teams over four years to finally cash in. I agree – good for him!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a reason our rotation is what it is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Funny how many were saying the Cards dodged a bullet when he was mediocre at best in 2018 with the Twins and Yankees. Hindsight does change things… I will say that his durability was never in question.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well durability should be or higher on the list when evaluating pitchers and I think the Cardinals should be willing to pay more for guys that did good for them, quit trying to be cheap and figuring they can just plug in whoever,same with Wong. Yet they overpaid carpenter who showed plenty of signs of his demise.

1982 willie
    Participant

I read something on drew Robinson. Sorry if this has already been on here. He is retiring to work in the front office for the San Francisco Giants. Great for him as well. I don’t guess he ever made it back to the actual majors after his suicide attempt.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well of course. What else would you expect?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, that is a dumb stat. Nogo is also tied for 17th on the Cardinals in hits despite taking just 20 plate appearances for them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,401 through 1,425 (of 2,317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.