Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 23 posts - 1,201 through 1,223 (of 1,223 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tovar was with Memphis in 2017 and 2018…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is starting right now…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Saw where Akeem Bostic re-signed with the Kansas City T-Bones of the American Association team. Does this mean he has been released?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or he had a 2020 contract that expired and he returned to free agency and it just wasn’t reported. Either way, he is gone as you note. Thanks for the heads up, dblack.

Participant

Paid - Annual

How much money do players make for independent teams like the KC T-Bones?

Participant

Paid - Annual

The minimum was $1200 for Rookies and increases with levels of experience in the American Association. Two years ago the minimum was $600 a month in the Frontier League. Not sure what the FL is now since it combined with the Can-Am League. The Independent leagues will have a few players to choose from because of the contraction of MiLB.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In fact, the indy leagues will have MANY more players to choose from. Though not every player is willing to take that detour. Job security is non-existent in comparison to affiliated ball, where the organization has invested in the player. Perform or be prepared to go home.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nick Martini was drafted by the Cardinals in 7th round of the 2011 MLB draft.

He is now with his hometown Cubs.

Cubs Sign OF Nick Martini to Minors Deal

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel like Lyons was one of those guys I thought could have been a solid #5 starter if the Cards didn’t have such incredible depth at SP back in that 2013-15 time frame. He never really got that chance.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree 25. Lyons gave the Cardinals some good outings occasionally. He was about at the Ponce/Gomber level.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looking at it the other way, Lyons has been gone from the Cardinals since 2018 and he hasn’t really caught on elsewhere. He turns 33 in a few weeks, so he is post-peak. If Ponce and Gomber are really comps, are they being overrated? Or at least, like Lyons, will they have a better chance in relief?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lyons did get 20 GS during 2013-15 but his pitch types better fit a reliever. He reminds me of Brett Cecil, another SP moved to the pen due to pitch types. When both lost their breaking pitches effectiveness, they were done. They were good when their one pitch was dominant, but had no effective pitch to fall back on.

Ponce and Gomber have multi-pitch arsenals, especially Gomber, but both have fastballs as their primary pitches with secondary breaking stuff as pluses, not primaries.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Gomber keeps improving on his control of his curveball, it will be a primary pitch for him. His curveball rides up, then curves way down something like Waino’s curve.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We know Austin has had a wiffleball curve, but I was glad to see he didn’t over-feature that pitch in 2020 after missing a season to injury. Savant shows his pitch usage as 4-seamer 52.5%, curve 24.3%, slider 15.8% and changeup 7.4%

Gombers run value on those pitches last season:
    4-seamer -7, wainwrights curve was best at -8
    changeup -2
    curve -1
    slider +1

Flaherty as a tough comparable for Gomber:
    sinker -2
    slider -1
    4-seamer +0
    changeup +1
    curve +2

here’s KK, while I’m typing:
    4-seamer -7
    slider -2
    changeup -2
    curve +1
    KK was a close comparable for Gomber last season

savant / statcast

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj, thank you for sharing that data. What are your conclusions? Gomber is better than he gets credit for?

This is a minor point, but it made me think when you wrote this:

“…I was glad to see he didn’t over-feature that pitch in 2020…”

Isn’t pitch selection and usage as much a Maddux and Molina thing? Guessing Gomber does not shake off Yadi often…

It also causes me to think about how pitch selection and effectiveness could change with Knizner (or any less experienced receiver) behind the plate.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was glad to see straight stuff was 60% and spinning it was 40%, and not the opposite, in an a manner of protecting himself from re-injury. Could have been an organizational decision, or possibly out of necessity because fastball / changeup value was his most effective pitches last season.

If Gomber gets the wiffleball curve back not season I like his pitches as a SP3. So a SP5 credit currently is fair until we see him produce better results, but I see upside from SP5 by his pitch types. Same with Reyes, we may like him better than a SP5 but he needs to show it at mlb too. With continued health, both could breakout in a big way next season, given the opportunity.

Participant

Free

I like having Reyes and Gomber in the rotation. Unfortunately, there probably isn’t room. Kim, Martinez, Mikolas, Flaherty and I would still like to see Waino re-signed.

But enough of that on this thread.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Strong possibility Reyes gets the chance?

Participant

Paid - Three Months

His value is as a top of the rotation starter, so he must be given that chance.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 23 posts - 1,201 through 1,223 (of 1,223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years