Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,163 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brantley helps the team next year, no doubt. By 2022 (when the team needs him to be a WS contender), he will eat up $16M+ of payroll and be a neutral contributor. By 2023, when they will be on a last hurrah before losing the big arms to FA, he would be dead weight. So no thanks. The Cards won’t contend for the Series next year so I don’t see what he adds. It would be a Fowler Special.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not a news item, but a cool World Series historic look in which the Cardinals are prominent.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good story about the scout who recommended the Rays acquire Arozarena. It highlights a point I was trying to make on another thread. Assessing players is so much more than slash stat lines or even Statcast results. it is a shame so many scouts are being let go across the game.

https://twitter.com/HannahRKeyser/status/1321268258557874178

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interview with Dave Duncan. He is not going back to Chicago even if TLR does.

(My editorial comment – It sure would be nice to see him in the Cardinals Hall of Fame while he can accept the award.)

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Seth Blair opened some eyes at the Red Sox alternate camp this summer.

From the Boston Globe:
    A number of relievers who had intriguing performances at the team’s Alternate Site in Pawtucket have re-signed on minor league deals. The group includes Seth Blair, lefthander Stephen Gonsalves,
    and righthander Caleb Simpson.

He was a supplemental first-round pick in 2010…couldn’t throw strikes. Jordan Swagerty was
    in the same draft and was on the fast-track to St. Louis until injuries derailed his career.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Solano is a great story. Ozuna also won at NL DH.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Troy Percival has resigned the top job at Cal-Riverside.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder if she gave him the ring he missed last month! https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1327329052861083648

Participant

Free

Former Cardinals pitcher Lindy McDaniel passes away in Carrollton, TX. Amazingly the story says he never played in the post season even though he played for the Cardinals and Yankees.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lindy-mcdaniel-mlb-reliever-21-seasons-dies-84

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Lindy McDaniel

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Post Toasties!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pete Kozma has more than nine lives. He signed a minor league contract with Oakland.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

“Post Toasties!”

😀 I think most of my cards were on Rice Krinkles and Alpha-Bits boxes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I remember eating boxes of Rice Krinkles to get this set of nine plastic cars…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, that toy Mustang panel brings back memories, as I collected those as well. At some point maybe I will upload a baseball card panel I have, which happens to also include the McDaniel card.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t remember those mustang cars, BicycleMike….a bit before my time. I do recall the matchbox cars. And the glossy small baseball cards that you’d get in cereal boxes. My favorite baseball appetizer was those little baseball coins that came out…..I think in Topps baseball card packs if memory serves me correct. I was like 6 years old, so I may be a bit foggy on that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Stan Musial was born 100 years ago today.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good story about Lance Lynn – how he has improved and increased his value and where the Rangers might trade him. (No, the Cardinals are not mentioned among the potential candidates.)

https://www.mlb.com/news/what-the-rangers-should-do-with-lance-lynn

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good story about Stan by Benjamin Hochman, but I find very odd Derrick Goold’s apparent support of the supposed rained out home run that deprived Stan of the 1948 Triple Crown. Hochman may not know the background, but Goold surely does. Goold himself (as well as many others) thoroughly researched this matter previously and found no proof of the long-rumored lost homer. In fact, the game’s most prominent researcher flatly informed Goold it did not happen. (See the link to Goold’s article at the bottom of this post.)

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/search-continues-for-musials-lost-hr/article_a76e955b-685b-5341-867c-d519de4f7110.html

Viewing 25 posts - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years