Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,076 through 1,100 (of 1,109 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Thanks Bike Mike, I was in a hurry and wasnt going to look it up.

And Randy Arozarena just homered again for Tampa Bay.

But I think his success this post-season is a flash in the pan. I am not expecting great things from him. Same goes for Luke Voit as well. Decent players, but they are not going to continue to be world-beaters.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, we will see how their careers fare. The thing about Randy is he was also great in the regular season, with a 179 OPS+, 7 homers in only 64 ABs. I think 7 would have tied for the Cardinals lead, or maybe been second on the team.

It looks like something clicked with him, and when you get that confidence going you can really go a long way. Lou Brock said that “click” happened to him just before the trade. He made a spectacular catch a couple of weeks before the deal, and it just hit him that “hey, I can play this game”. In his last 10 days or so as a Cub he had raised his average 10 points. It was the start of his “new normal”, but not enough time for the Cubs to take notice and the rest is history.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Reds outrighted Matt Bowman yesterday.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yesterday –

Ozuna 4 out of 5, with 2 home runs, a double, 4 RBI, and 3 runs scored.

Arozarena with another home run.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna didn’t want to be here. Glad he’s doing well in Atlanta.

Tampa Bay is a smart organization, so if they want a player, you know there must be something going on. I also think the Cards got a good deal by snagging Liberatore, who got some great reviews this spring and in the summer camp.

Participant

Paid - Annual

25 –

The title of the thread is former Cardinals in the news. That’s all I was posting about. Even though MO was stupid not to retain those two players, I’m not going down that path because someone would post a picture of a broken 78 rpm record.
    So I just posted the facts. That’s all.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, 25, better check your facts. Ozuna stated clearly that he wanted to stay with the Cardinals.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rumors out of NY that the Yankees may look into trading Luke Voit this winter to create room for the return of D.J. LeMahieu.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2020/10/15/yankees-luke-voit-trade-destinations/

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I also think the Cards got a good deal by snagging Liberatore, who got some great reviews this spring and in the summer camp.

That is the hope, that Liberatore turns out to be real good, and maybe Randy levels off to mere human feats. But what we cannot deny is as of today, we need offense. Pitching is our strong suit, and as John and Paul said, tomorrow never knows.

As for Voit, his value might be about as high as it will be, so the Yankees are probably I haveht be shopping him at the right time. And as for LeMahieu, the Rockies are a bit like us with Ozuna. They had some highly regarded young guys that were thought to be ready to take DJ’s place, and the club could keep the payroll more in line. But those young guys have not produced as hoped, not yet anyway, while DJ has been as good or better in NY than he was in Denver.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, 25, better check your facts. Ozuna stated clearly that he wanted to stay with the Cardinals.

His agent said that. We all know how “factual” that is. Of course, Ozuna turned down a one year deal with St Louis to sign with Atlanta so that fact is all I need to know.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What you need to know is that the Cards issued a QO to get a draft pick, knowing that Ozuna’s agent was shopping for a long term deal. He then shopped the market as a FA, and the best he could find was a one year deal with the Braves. Teams were worried about Marcel’s injury, which affected his play with the Cardinals. The Cards decided not to roll the dice, and lost.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards decided not to roll the dice, and lost.

By that logic you could say the other 28 teams rolled the dice and lost too. I don’t recall him having that many suitors.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, for the fourth time, the Cardinals decided to spend the Ozuna funds on Wainwright, KK, Miller and Wieters. It wasn’t any roll of the dice, that was a loss, it was a decision on where to spend the 18mil available once Ozuna turned down his Q-offer from STL.

Who got more bang for their buck? I’ll call it wash. Subtract Miller / Wieters, add Ozuna instead, and we hit better. Subtract Wainwright and KK and we pitch worse. A wash. It’s one of the two choices, where to spend the 18mil, not both.

Participant

Paid - Annual

BDW has always said he would go over the stated budget for the right situation. He didn’t deem this to be the right situation. Mo wanted to roll the dice on O’Neill, Bader, and Thomas. To save money. Tell me how that’s worked out.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BDW has always said he would go over the stated budget for the right situation

Just like the situation with Ozuna’s agent, actions speak louder than words. Apparently, BDW enjoys making hypothetical statements because it’s pretty hard to point to this ever happening in the 25 years he’s owned the team.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was never about the young outfielders. O’Neill, Bader and Ozuna were all on the roster together for two seasons, and then FA Ozuna was even invited back with a Q-offer, but HE CHOSE to chase a phantom multi-year FA deal instead.

You want to blame STL for gambling and losing, but they didn’t. All Ozuna had to do was say “I accept”. That’s where your blame belongs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

25 – guess you forget about Price and Stanton.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am really trying to stay out of this discussion as it bores me to rehash old news over and over, but when the comments make no sense, I feel I have to speak up.

bccran said:

BDW has always said he would go over the stated budget for the right situation. He didn’t deem this to be the right situation. Mo wanted to roll the dice on O’Neill, Bader, and Thomas. To save money…

So in your view of the world, DeWitt wants to overspend his own money, but his hired employee, Mo, is holding him back from spending his own money? Mo is purposely underspending the budget that DeWitt gives him? For what purpose? What kind of alternate reality is that?

Again, the fact you like one person, DeWitt, and don’t like another, Mo, leads to twisted logic that just does not hold water.

If you don’t like the AMOUNT of money the Cardinals spend, blame DeWitt. If you don’t like HOW it is spent, start the blame game with Mo, but don’t assume the owner isn’t making some calls on major decisions. As it should be since it is his money. He is not some disconnected owner up in an ivory tower somewhere.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It wouldn’t surprise me if John (‘We’re not the morality police’) Mozeliak didn’t try to acquire both Ozuna and Voit Then, there’s Arozarena playing out of his head, also.

Participant

Paid - Annual

BW – I know both BDW and Mo, and have tried the best I can to explain my views.
    If it’s not up to your standards, I guess it’s my bad. So be it. Black Hills Card is right. And he’s one of the best posters I’ve seen on any of the Cardinal Forums for many years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please pardon the insult, bccran. Perhaps I did not understand the point you were trying to make. I should have asked you to clarify it first. Someone was trying to save money for some reason and somehow that affected whether or not Ozuna returned. In reality, it is probably better to let this particular part of the discussion go, anyway…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of us hop on here as time allows during the day for a little R&R. To read, learn, have a friendly discussion, and offer an opinion upon occasion. Being nit picked and rebuked is not pleasureful. All we’re Looking for is polite discourse. Again, BHC was right. And that’s a shame.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sam Freeman is again a free agent. The lefty had been with the Nationals.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Being nit picked and rebuked is not pleasureful.

About as fun as having to read 300 times the same statement about multiple players who are no longer with the team while trashing the players who are here.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the rebuke, 25. Very nice.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,076 through 1,100 (of 1,109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years