Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,130 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Well, the lesson might be to stick with who you have.”

And I hope we do. We currently are trying to wear expensive players off the roster, and have limited funds available anyway. Sure we can fill in around the edges, but lets not deal away unproven players potential just to provide a stop gap vet on a .500-ish club.

The Arozrena trade I have no problem with, there’s expected future value there for us too. The Ozuna type deal is what I hope we avoid. The best part of the Ozuna deal was the Q-offer draft pick coming back, and I hope the prospect gurus here realllly like him 🙂

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, I tend to agree with you jj. I usually do not like those deals where you give several young players away for an older, established guy. Now and then it is okay. I liked the Goldschmidt deal. Was not real big on the Ozuna trade, but understood why we did it. Did not like the Heyward deal, and going back aways I did not like the McGwire deal, but that one worked out.

If the Arozarena deal helps us forget just a little the Steve Carlton trade, then we should be okay with that one. Pitchers are a risky lot though.

Participant

Free

Arozarena had to go after live streaming Shildt’s profanity laced we don’t care who we play next we will kick their ass speech after we beat the Braves in the playoffs last year. It took away our mojo. He was young, and perhaps it’s not fair, but he had to go. That was a major breach of locker room etiquette.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I hated the Arozarena trade at the time and still do because I saw more potential in him than I did in O’Neill or Thomas.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Add Bader to that list, BHC. At least from my standpoint.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I doubt that there is another GM in all of MLB that would not have traded Randy Arozarena and Jose Martinez for Matt Liberatore. At the time it looked like a lopsided trade. It may still look like a lopsided trade if Liberatore becomes a stud and Arozarena settles down.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Congrats again to Sandy Alcantara and Mags Sierra for their big assist in eliminating the Cubs. Well done gentlemen!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Odds on this actually happening? I know TLR has a good relationship with Jerry Reinsdorf, but I just can’t see it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hinch and Cora would seem likelier targets but you never know I guess. Turn back the time machine to 1983.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

R.I.P. J.W.! Stroked just 8 career dingers, but what I wouldn’t give for just one. Every diehard baseball fan should be granted the experience of whacking a ML homer in front of adoring fans. I walloped 11 over the fence in LL one year and 4 over the fence in H.S…….but for this lifetime, that will have to be the extent of it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena seems to be doing rather well in the playoffs.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another three hits for Randy last night. The guy is almost an overnight sensation. What was his highest ranking in the TCN prospect list?

This success makes you wonder if he is just one of those guys that was kind of under the radar, and then it clicked. Sort of like what happened with Lou Brock’s career, although Lou was a major leaguer for 2 1/2 years before morphing into an all-star caliber player.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike –

Arozarena in 2019 –

AA – .309/.422/.515/.937
    AAA – .358/.435/.593/1.028
    MLB – .300/.391/.500/.891

69 runs, 55 RBI, 26 doubles, 4 triples, 16 home runs, and 19 stolen bases in only 111 games.

He wasn’t “under the radar”.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Would LaRussa actually consider another managerial job???

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, it appears the answer is yes. I would not have thought so, but by the sheer fact the Angels granted permission it tells me that he is interested. They wouldn’t have done that without checking with him. Otherwise if disinterested, TLR would have shut it off right there. As the article notes, that is what he did in the past when teams approached him – until now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps the biggest moment in the career of the man who is now the greatest living Cardinal.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Arozarena in 2019 –

AA – .309/.422/.515/.937
    AAA – .358/.435/.593/1.028
    MLB – .300/.391/.500/.891

69 runs, 55 RBI, 26 doubles, 4 triples, 16 home runs, and 19 stolen bases in only 111 games.

Well at least our TCN guru’s did not think that highly of him before 2019. I checked the prospect list for the beginning of 2019 and he was at number 12, behind among others Knizner, Thomas, Helsley, Reyes and O’Neill. By August he had moved up to 9, but still behind those guys other than O’Neill, who was in the majors, and of course Reyes. Carlson and Gorman were 1 and 2.

Right now he looks light years ahead of Carlson, thus he strikes me as a guy where things really clicked for him at some point in 2019, but the brass did not pick up on it. Still to early to call Randy a budding superstar, but he is making people take notice.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Larussa is 76 years old. Why would he want to manage again? Enjoy the kids and grandkids.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ego.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Randy Arenadorena, or however you spell it, just homered again.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rat – you spelled his name more difficult than it is. The guy is looking like a budding Mike Trout since donning a TB hat and uniform.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years