Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 1,001 through 1,025 (of 1,104 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thinking about Luke Voit, I tried to come up with a Yankee/Cardinal combined team. Off the top of my head this is what I came up with – had to make some exceptions to get the team together.

c-Yogi Berra (St Louis kid, played for Yankees – could say the same for Elston Howard)
    1b-Johnny Mize
    2b-Miller Huggins (played and managed the Cardinals, managed the Yankees)
    ss-Leo Durocher
    3b-Charlie Smith
    lf-Enos Slaughter
    cf-Bill Virdon (came up through Yankee system, but did not play with them)
    rf-Roger Maris
    dh-Luke Voit
    p-Lance Lynn
    p-Lindy McDaniel
    p-Luis Arroyo

Radio announcer – Bill White (Cardinal player, Yankee broadcaster)

Is there a pitcher whose first name does not start with an “L”?

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

How about Willie McGee in center?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since we are on the theme, a pitcher whose name starts with other than L is Giovanny Gallegos. (Bob Sykes never even pitched for them, making the McGee trade even worse.)

Participant

Free

BM I like your team. Bill Virdon managed the Pirates if I remember correctly and at last check he lived in Springfield and is in the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame at Springfield. So maybe Willie McGee is a good choice for CF. I could put Pete Kozma in there as he put in a few innings with the Yanks but others here would say I am nuts but he helped get us to the ’13 WS.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am assuming Tino Martinez does not make the list….lol

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, no Tino as I was heavy on first baseman. I also thought of Jack Clark, but Mike was a Hall of Farmer so I went with him. Then of course there is our subject, Mr. Voit who I wanted somewhere, so put him as DH.

McGee could qualify same as Virgin – Yankee farmhand whose career ended up with the Cardinals.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Article from a Yankees site about Voit making great improvements defensively.

“When GM Brian Cashman traded for Voit back in 2018, Voit’s defensive prowess was not part of the package. Cashman saw enough potential in Voit’s bat to trade for him, despite the general assessment that Voit, as a first baseman, was decidedly below average. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Cashman acquired Voit solely for his value as a DH.”

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2020/9/20/21448121/yankees-luke-voit-improved-defense-first-base-leadership-accountability

Participant

Paid - Annual

Amazing. Voit was almost over the hill as a prospect when he was 27 years old and OPS’ing .762 for the Cardinals in 2018. Then, he got traded, and something changed. Now Luke Voit is being considered for MVP.
    I wish he would tell us what changed. You would think that it had to be something else besides his city and his uniform. What could it be?

Participant

Free

Mud, my thoughts on Voit is that he was always big dog wherever he went, Missouri State and the minors. Won the Texas League Home Run Derby but when he got to the majors as a one position player he found himself in the same place as many players do – blocked by veterans at the position who are not ready to retire or move. So he got to the bigs and finds Matt Carpenter and I think Matt Adams had just been sent packing about that time and Xavier Washington (1B) wound up with the Marlins somehow. That position has not been well occupied since Alberto left us but Carp thought he had it nailed down until Goldy’s acquisition told him different. I seem to remember that one Jose Martinez was known to do his stretches at that position for a bit. So Luke, who is one of my favorites is now a Bronx Bomber and that is what he will be until he can’t give them any more thrills.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Voit’s long-term outlook from the contract perspective is that he should become arbitration eligible next season as a Super Two. Free agency would be four more years after that (under today’s rules). By that time, he will be 35. So, the biggest money he may make as a player seems to be in his four arb years. Though the new CBA could change that.

Participant

Free

Thanks for the education on contracts Brian. I have not paid much attention to them. Can he sign a long term contract during his arb years? Not sure how the Yankees are on their contracts but on Luke I am sure they consider that THEY found this talent and not somebody else so maybe a long term contract is not in the Cards (pun intended).

Participant

Paid - Annual

He could sign a long term contract anytime but the Yankees would only do that if they feel confident that Voit is going to put up this kind of protection on an annual basis. Otherwise it makes more sense for them to go year to year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not saying Voit is taking steroids. But I would say that some of these players that are hitting and playing out of their mind are doing it. Nothing else makes sense.

Participant

Free

I think the friendly confines of Yankee Stadium, mainly the distances to the fences do not detract from dingers from guys with amply defined muscles. Lot of players work out today. Chicken and beer is no longer the clubhouse special having been replaced by weight rooms and exercise equipment.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder if this is the end of the line for Steve Cishek.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ironically, the worst year of Cishek’s career until this year was his year that included the time with the Cards. He had a hard time with the Marlins in 2015 but turned it around in St Louis and was good since. You’d think someone would take a chance on a guy who’s been consistently good next year, but perhaps he’ll hang it up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wisdom up; JMart down.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’m guessing that if Cishek wants to play next year he will find a job. His history of consistent success is rare.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wisdom didn’t stay up long..

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1310262601830600704

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatargscottar.
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, I just checked my last post and the spell checker really messed it up. Gotta double and triple check my comments whenever I use my tablet or cell phone.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The results are in and Luke Voit led the entire major leagues in home runs this year. Great job by the native St. Louisan. The former Cardinal Ozuna came in 3rd. Ozuna also came in 3rd in OPS and 2nd in total bases.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Remember when both Ozuna and Voit were on our team and they were average at best? No reason to think they’d be anything else if they had stayed. Good for the Braves and Yankees.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Voit and Ozuna and must have just come out of the blue with those results.

Luke got a heckuva shot with those 124 PAs in 2017 in 62 games. Too bad he was just average at best as a rookie coming off the bench. But of course Carp was at 1B, so he didn’t have a position and got very few starts to get into a rhythm. Perhaps that had something to do with it. But the trade was fine because we got Gallegos.
    I guess the Yankees did see talent there, even though rookie Luke was “average at best”.

Ozuna? Maybe he was hurt a little while he was here. He did have that monster season in Atlanta before we got him. Anyway, he had a 29 home run and 89 RBI season in 2019 which was “average at best”? But my goodness, those 89 RBI were second on the team, so they might have helped a little.
    Well, maybe he’s just healthier this year. Or had a change in hitting coaches.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s interesting that some..err, one here…is perfectly willing to make excuses for players who quit on our team or never cut it here. Yet continually put down our own players with no benefit of the doubt. You’d have to wonder where said person’s fandom really lies. Perhaps with Atlanta or New York.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,001 through 1,025 (of 1,104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years