Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,021 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At just $8 MM next season, Lynn will be one of the best bargains in baseball. That fall, he then becomes a free agent again – at the same time the new CBA will go into effect. He should finally cash in big time. Good for him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s only right that Lynn gets his chance to cash in. So far he’s only been able to bank a paltry $56M, with only another $10M promised to him in 2021. Hopefully, justice will prevail in the end.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Big City looking for a job again.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sam Gaviglio was released by Toronto.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yairo Munoz is off to a great start with the Red Sox. 6 hits in a doubleheader yesterday and 8 for 15 for a .533 average so far. He’s only 25. I know he screwed up with the Cards but
    it’s unfortunate they got nothing in return.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yairo-munoz-doubleheader-performance

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Vargas is a former Cardinal farmhand. Fortunately, Strop is not a former Cardinal. The Cubs secretly sent him to destroy the Reds pen. Mission accomplished, he is back with the Cubs. 😉

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jedd Gyorko is playing first base and batting cleanup for the Brewers. He hit two home runs tonight and has seven with 12 RBI in 58 at-bats. His OPS is 1.051.

Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder what took so long? 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Like Voit hit his 19th HR this evening. I’m just thrilled to know that Voit’s success since arriving in NY cannot be attributed to steroids since steroids have been eliminated from the game. Clearly, getting traded was a wake up call to Voit and that, along with superior NY coaching, is what has gotten him to start hitting and hitting with power.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am also happy for Luke. The other assertions, I am not so sure about, but I can’t disprove any of it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Something happened in Luke’s world to bring about his transformation from fading prospect to blossoming superstar. I wish he would tell us, his fans, what it is.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sometimes a change of scenery can make a difference for a player. It doesn’t necessarily mean the coaching was bad in his previous spot. He did not earn regular playing time here and I don’t remember anyone complaining when he got traded. I am very glad we got Gallegos. It was a win-win trade.

Should we also be upset that Donovan Solano may lead the league in hitting this year? I am not. He is a 32 year old journeyman who his having the year of his life. Good for him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t regret losing Voit or Solano. Neither of them showed much potential while they were here. But I would like to know what got them from the outhouse to the penthouse. Change of scenery? Or are we missing something? I’m glad we got Gallegos, too. He’s been contributing a lot more than Voit was ever going to contribute here. Voit got all the major league playing time he was ever going to get for the Cardinals when he OPS’d .762 as a first baseman only in 2018.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the DH had been in the NL then, he may have had a shot to stick. Of course, with Jose Martinez around, he probably would have been traded anyway. I’m happy that Luke has played so well for the Yankees, and Gallegos for us.

Participant

Free

In my view, Voit never got much of a chance with the Cards because he was a one position player and a guy named Carpenter happened to have that position nailed down until the powers decided that 1B needed attention and after trading Voit they added a few million and brought Goldschmidt on board. He always impressed me as a Yankee type anyway and Gallegos has proved his value with his arm. Both teams won but I predict Voit will be around longer than Gallegos.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What I remember from last year is that Voit was struggling so badly that he was benched by the Yankees in the playoffs. This story talks about him needing sports hernia surgery.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/10/how-yankees-luke-voit-is-dealing-with-postseason-benchings-emotionally-and-physically.html

When I saw him the first time this season on TV, I barely recognized him. He really trimmed up. Perhaps he had a different kind of offseason plan last winter after getting healthy.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

#20 tonight. On pace for 60+ if it was a full year.

I think it is going to be hard for the Cards to win this trade using a WAR calculation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How many years does it take to declare a winner in a trade?

I thought it was interesting that Voit has been compared by some to Bob Hamelin, who was the Rookie of the Year, but faded away fairly quickly and surprisingly. Not sure why other than body type, which doesn’t really seem all that relevant.

Hamelin played in MLB for five-plus years, with 2.7 of his 3.1 career bWAR occurring in one season. Hopefully for him, Voit will have longer staying power.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A national writer responding to those criticizing the Voit trade…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I haven’t criticized the Voit-Gallegos trade, but . . . you have fans of a team devoid of offense who are criticizing a recent trade where the team gave away a guy who’s hit 20 HRs this year and has an OPS+ of 167 for a guy who’s pitched all of 11 innings . . . and some guy’s response to the criticism is to quote his own tweets from a year ago and say the pitcher is good while calling the fans dorks. Petriello sounds double dorky to me.

Participant

Paid - Annual

An elite traveling team coach in St. Louis coached both Ryan Howard and Luke Voit while they were at Lafayette High School.
    Although both could have signed out of Lafayette, he convinced both of them to go to college at Missouri State (the coach’s alma mater). He felt it would benefit them to further their education and continue to develop their baseball skills. He also coached Walt Jocketty’s son, who was on the same team with Howard. The coach tried to convince Walt to draft Howard, to no avail. When Luke cane around, he had better luck convincing the Cards that Luke could be a good prospect. It’s too bad the Cards were locked in with Carp at 1B. Without the DH there was no place for Luke. The Yankees’ gain is our loss.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Yankees finally get back at us for Willie McGee. But then McGee was helping even out to some degree the Cardinals not giving Yogi Berra the same $1,000 they gave Joe Garagiola.

So I guess the Yankees are winning again in their deals with St. Louis.

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,021 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years