Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 2,376 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I loved the deal when we got Gregg Jefferies – just felt Joe Torre was the type of manager that Jefferies would thrive under, which he did.

Brian Jordan – what a talent. Looked to be a future a Hall of Famer at one time.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Surprised no one has posted this yet:

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/report-marcell-ozuna-injured-by-wife-in-alleged-incident

I read about that yesterday. I am so glad that Ozuna and his drama are gone.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well if things don’t work out for Kurt Heyer, he is still young enough to get started on a new career.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Who knew Sammy Baugh was a former Cardinal?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What are people’s reactions to the Big Mac-Sosa documentary on ESPN last night?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought it was fairly well done. I enjoyed the interviews with the former players, managers, and media. One thing I had forgotten was that Sosa went ahead of McGwire in HR’s after number 62 was hit. They were tied going into the final weekend before Big Mac hit four homers in the last two games. I also didn’t know that McGuire didn’t want to play the final game because of mental exhaustion but LaRussa wouldn’t let him sit out.

As for the PED angle the main takeaway I have taken from those events, besides the fact that neither will probably ever be voted into the MLB HOF, is that McGwire eventually confessed and Sosa never did. It is probably no coincidence then that McGwire got voted into the Cardinal HOF and Sosa has never been invited back to Wrigley since he left the organization.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I suspect the continuity of TLR as manager really helped. For multiple years, he had pushed McGwire to get back into the game, which gave the latter a vehicle both to apologize and to begin to rehabilitate his image.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing that Derek. I always wondered what happened to Casey. Good stuff.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There goes another one that I thought was going to be an exciting outfielder for many years. Baseball Reference says that he made $563,500 in his MLB career which is still a pretty good start for a 27 year old. He definitely has enough money to pay for a quality college education outright rather than having to saddle himself with student loans like so many millennials have done.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Baseball Reference says that he made $563,500 in his MLB career which is still a pretty good start for a 27 year old.

And Tilson got about twice that when he signed. Hopefully he handled it wisely. And you’re right about the college debt. My wife is a personnel security investigator and this comes up so often when they apply for security clearances.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Re. Sammy Baugh. If I showed up for work and found out I was playing shortstop behind Marty Marion I would switch sports too. 1938 Rochester Red Wings.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Interesting on Baugh. My cousin and I are big sports collectibles freaks as some people on here know. He lives in the Dallas area and got to know a guy who ran a collectibles shop down there for years, who was a close friend of Sammy Baugh. The guy had all kinds of Baugh memorabilia, but I never knew he played a year in the Cardinals baseball system.

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 2,376 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.