Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 24 posts - 826 through 849 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold wrote just the other day about Randy having to return to Triple-A.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/former-cardinals-arozarena-mayers-sizzled-this-spring-with-new-teams/article_0e29a268-610b-552f-8d42-608c0a5b7735.html

Please share a link to a TB article talking about him making the team. Anyone I know who follows the Rays counted all the established MLB outfielders ahead of him and drew the same conclusion as Goold. No room.

Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB.com lists the Rays top prospects and shows these players as the top outfielders in their system, along with their arrival times –

1. Josh Lowe – 2021
    2. Moises Gomez – 2021
    3. Nick Schnell – 2022
    4.) Randy Arozarena – 2020

Participant

Paid - Annual

I said this on another topic that I believe the Rays pinpointed Arozarena as the guy they wanted of the young OFs that the Cards have. The FO may have given them a list… they picked Randy and there is a number of good reasons why. Its warmer in Tampa for him anyway.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s the important thing, 14. Liberatore was ranked by mlb.com at the time of the trade as the 41st best prospect in all of Milb. Jose Martinez is a 30 year old player who is severely limited on defense and slashed .269/.340./.410/.750 in 2019. The Rays also got a Competitive Round A pick and the Cardinals got a Competitive Round B round pick, plus catcher Edgaro Rodriguez. Edgaro slashed .330/.384/.492/.846 in the DSL in 2018 and .400/.429/.520/.949 in limited time in the GCL in 2019. Those are Herrera type numbers.

Now, when you take an overall look at that deal, what was the impetus for Tampa Bay to make that trade? Martinez? Don’t think so. Getting a Competitive Round A and giving up a Competitive Round B? Don’t think so.

No matter what some posters say, the key to that deal for the Rays was getting Randy Arozarena. It would be shame to downplay his value.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And “some posters” downplay Martinez’ value, even though he is the only proven Major Leaguer in the trade. He is expected to be the Rays’ DH, perhaps in a platoon, so will not be exposed defensively and provides a power threat at a relatively low salary. He is a great fit for them as they are in “win now mode”, but when he gets too expensive, he will be gone, like so many others.

Trying to guess what positions each team took at the bargaining table is a waste of time, IMO. They made a trade they both liked. Good for them.

We get your point of view. It is repeated frequently. The outfielders the Cardinals kept are risky and can’t improve while the one they let get away is the real future star. It will be proven one way or another in time, not by stat lines in the rearview mirror.

Worrying about former Cardinals and second-guessing trades before the players have played even one real game on their new teams is not important to me, but maybe others have more to say…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rick Hummel is writing a series on catching up with former Cardinals.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A good joke for the day out of New York…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That 2006 Series win was so cathartic for me. I was born the year the Cards won their previous World Series so it had been a long time coming with many close calls during the times that I followed the team closely. Coming on the heels of the very disappointing 2004 and 2005 season endings, it was a very pleasant surprise that the 83 win Cards ran the table. I nearly hit my head on the ceiling from jumping so high after the final out against the Tigers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Matt Keough pitched briefly for the Cardinals and his uncle Marty is a long-time scout for the organization.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hated that uni with the backwards logo

Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt Keough’s ex-wife has now discussed cause of death and a few things about his recent personal life. Interestingly, she suggests that Covid-19 related forced inactivity may have played a part, as he went from riding his bike 20-30 miles a day to nothing.

Ex RHOC Star Jeana Keough Reveals the Cause of Death of Her Ex-Husband Matt Keough as She Admits Her Family is Struggling to Cope With His Death and the Tragic Loss of Daughter Kara’s Second Child

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

It just plain feels good to read a post about someone recovering from this virus.

Thank you.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep, Howe’s age gave serious cause for concern. Glad it didn’t progress to the point of intubation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 24 posts - 826 through 849 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years