Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 801 through 825 (of 888 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If he pitches for the Jays, this will be Scrabble’s ninth life as an MLB pitcher, including twice each with the Indians and Jays. Lefties never die…

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well his agent isn’t very good apparently because I think a lot of people knew he should have accepted the QO when it was offered.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/marcell-ozuna-discusses-cardinals-qualifying-offer-decision.html

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Lefty Ryann Sherriff making a strong bid to make the Rays roster. He now has 5 appearances with 5 shutout innings and 2 saves.

Participant

Free

On at least 3 occasions this ST I have seen this name at First Base for the Rays……..Jose Martinez. Do you think they are working with him to make that his alternate position when not DH. But he is only batting .153 at present.

Participant

Free

From what I can see, Randy Arozarena seems to be making himself the Dylan Carlson of the Rays. BA .571 amd OPS of 1.500, playing RF. Jose Martinez, not so much. Playing DH and 1B.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Mets put Nimmo through additional cardiac testing prior to Adams. I read that neither had complained of cardiac-type symptoms and it was precautionary. They both were flagged during camp physicals for the additional cardiac testing.

I wonder if all players do a routine treadmill stress test and EKG as part of their physicals? Or what other tests might indicate a need for further cardiac testing for apparently healthy young men who are not feeling symptoms?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Adolis Garcia has an OPS of 1.061 while striking out at 29%. We gave this player to the Rangers for a little cash, nothing else.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After I saw your post, mud, I went to look at the Rangers team stats. As a group, they are hitting up a storm! Among hitters with at least 14 plate appearances, Garcia is ninth in OPS. The have 11 hitters at 1.000 or better! In contrast, the Cards have just two – DeJong and Goldschmidt.

Another by-product of the spring training cancellation is that the Cards will not face the Rangers at their new Arlington stadium in the final exhibition game. Can’t imagine that will be rescheduled…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While I had the stats window open, I flipped over to the Rays. Arozarena still has a video-game line of .471/.654/.647/1.301. On the other hand, Jose Martinez is .185/.207/.185/.392. Feast and famine, with reality likely somewhere in the vast gulf between…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks. Nice observation, nice insight.

Participant

Free

There is a great article about Darrell porter on mlb.com by Will Leitch. It is a very interesting read for anyone looking for anything on the cardinals. While I was definitely not happy that we lost ted simmons, I grew to really like porter. He was a gritty type player who while not having a lot of natural ability, got everything he could out of what ability he had. He didn’t mind taking a walk either. Sadly I didn’t know he died or if I did, I had forgotten it. I don’t know that he is cardinal hall of fame worthy cause the cardinals have had even better catchers since not even including yadi, but I feel he was a great cardinal.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thanks 82! Porter had his demons, then conquered them, then years later succumbed to them again.

He was a disappointment in 1982, but Whitey liked his defense. Then he came on in the post season. He also caught for the great 1985 club.

Had kind of an odd stance – open, and he looked sort of uncomfortable at the plate – seemed sort of stiff and “ choppy” when hitting as opposed to loose and fluid. Was great in ‘79 with KC, hence Whitey’s wanting him in St Louis.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder what Arozarena could have done more to show the Cards that he was a real keeper.

2019 –

AA – .308/.422/.515/.937
    AAA – .358/.435/.593/1.028
    MLB – .300/.391/.500/.891

Sheeesh.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps waiting until Arozarena actually accomplishes anything as a major leaguer before passing judgement on his trade would be prudent. Not to mention being patient enough to see if Liberatore develops.

Liberatore is a national top 50 prospect. Randy is not. It seems those prospect raters and scouts don’t put the same weight on minor league stats to make future assessments.

The Cardinals may or may not win this trade in the eventual assessment, but their track record over time has been very good in terms of deciding which prospects to keep and which to trade.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no issue with trading for Liberatore. I just have an issue if another player could have been included in the place of Arozarena.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Arozarena seems at least as unlikely to make the Rays out of camp as he would have with the Cardinals.

Tampa’s OF starters are set – Renfroe, Kiermaier and Meadows. They also have Jose Martinez, Manny Margot and their new Japanese signing Yoshitomo Tsutsugo, all ahead of Randy. Even with a 26-man roster, they cannot keep seven outfielders.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Arozarena would have to really come on, and Liberatore to not be what he is projected for that deal to be as bad as the one the Pirates made in giving up Meadows and Glasnow for Chris Archer. The Cardinals were over-loaded with potential in right-hand hitting outfielders.

Probably a better question for now is why the Cardinals made the deal for O’Neill, when they had depth there, and give up Marco Gonzalez.

On another note, after posting about Darryl Porter I read the article on mlb.com – very good piece and worth the read.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Latest comeback gaining momentum…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Some posters feel that it is at least as unlikely that Arozarena would have made the Rays 26 man out of Spring Training as he would have with the Cardinals. There are others who feel that Arozarena would have made the 26 man for the Cardinals. Perhaps over Lane Thomas. No one knows for sure now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t know who else said it, but I did. Like it or not, Arozarena was behind Thomas and O’Neill and neither of these guys have played themselves off the team. So he would still be behind them today. I suspect that pecking order was part of the reason he was traded. I wish him well in Tampa, but he went from one tough situation to another in terms of playing time. Unless something changes, he is highly likely to have to go back to Triple-A and wait for another opportunity.

Participant

Free

I was only reading Tampa’s box scores during spring training but, as I recall, Randy was doing quite well on the stat numbers. Jose Martinez was not having a great ST but he had played 1B in several games in addition to DH. I actually thought Randy would make the Rays team but that was only based on the stats that I could see – no actual viewing during games.

Participant

Paid - Annual

MM – here was Arozarena this Spring – .400/.586/.550/1.136.

In my humble opinion, he would be on track to make the Cards 26 man and some people in Tampa think he had a strong shot to make their 26 man.

Time to move on, though, because it’s a moot point now. Let’s see how he does in the Ray organization in the future.

Viewing 25 posts - 801 through 825 (of 888 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years