Fantasy “All Time” Cardinals Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Fantasy “All Time” Cardinals Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 453 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Torre, Jose Cruz, and Polanco all went quicker than I expected so I started targeting some deadball players and the commish took Burkett before I could get him. Lol, now what?
    This is my first ever draft. I didn’t realize how competitive the picks are. It’s a lot of work.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

134. stlcard25 – Tony Larussa, Manager

Round 15

127. flood21 – Terry Pendleton, UT
    128. bicyclemike – Johnny Keane, Manager
    129. jj-cf-stl – Solly Hemus, UT
    130 forsch31 – Lonnie Smith, UT
    131. kscardfan – Joe Torre, Manager
    132. gscottar – Ron Gant, OF
    133. Nigel T- Whitey Herzog, Manager
    135. mudville- Next two at bats

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lol, now what?

This is my first ever draft. I didn’t realize how competitive the picks are. It’s a lot of work.

The next step is to finish the draft and then… playoffs! (BW has agreed to help us out with the tabulation; there will be a system of voting and a bracket and everything). I’ll explain how it will work after we’re all done picking, but it should add to the fun for a couple extra weeks!

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

There were rounds where I was on pins and needles waiting to pick. I made a big board, and that helped emotionally because I always had a plan b.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I have a list which has kept me on track. I knew a lot of the players would picked before I would have a chance to get them when I wanted. However, the list let me know who I would have available next. As we got to the middle rounds and longer, that’s when I had to make decisions based on what positions the next drafters still needed to pick. That changed a couple of picks for me.

Looking back, I wish I would have drafted a couple of rounds differently. It would have changed things a little for me, I think.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

135.mudville- Johnny Keane, Manager

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

136.mudville- David Eckstein, SS

I’m going to going to have Pepper Martin play 3B. That makes Eckstein one of my Bench players.

David Eckstein was a star for our 2006 world Series team, and even won MVP for that 2006 World Series. After the season he made the late night television rounds to talk about the Series and his MVP win. In one of his interviews, he commented that there was a Jewish organization which was saying that the honor was won by a Jew. Eckstein chuckled about it because he is not Jewish.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Boy Eck was fun to watch and a true winner, yet no logical person advocated to bring him back long term.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Mud, BikeMike picked Keane with pick 128.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We will give mud til tomorrow morning to check in and change his pick. Since we are near the end of the draft it won’t be too far if he has to drop to the comp pick, should he miss the deadline.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Please change as follows:

135.mudville- Mike Shildt, Manager

I thought Shildty was going to be managing
    the Cardinals for at least 10 more years. He worked well with the players. They’re going to miss him. The only reason Shildt is not still here is that he picked a bad day to get into an ego battle with his boss.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good call, mud.

For my final pick, I’ll go with:

137. stlcard25 – Spud Davis, C

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Round 15

127. flood21 – Terry Pendleton, UT
    128. bicyclemike – Johnny Keane, Manager
    129. jj-cf-stl – Solly Hemus, UT
    130 forsch31 – Lonnie Smith, UT
    131. kscardfan – Joe Torre, Manager
    132. gscottar – Ron Gant, OF
    133. Nigel T- Whitey Herzog, Manager
    135. mudville- Mike Shildt, Manager

Round 16

136. mudville – David Eckstein, UT
    137. stlcard25 – Spud Davis, C
    138. Nigel T – At bat
    139. gscottar – On deck
    140. kscardfan
    141. forsch31
    142. jj-cf-stl
    143. bicyclemike
    144. flood21

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

138. Nigel T Delino Deshields 2B

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This has been a lot of fun. It is interesting to read about guy’s methods and strategy. I am pretty well versed in Cardinal history so I did not make a list or anything like that. I had names running through my head that I was thinking about, and approached it sort of along the lines of “who would be the best guy for the position I need to fill?” I did more research over the second half of the draft than the first. For the first 5 or 6 picks I just grabbed guys I thought were too good to pass up. Later on I would think of a few guys and then do some quick research as to who might be the better pick.

But like everyone, the guy I had in mind was taken just before me a few times so I had to change directions, or take my second choice for the spot.

Lots of great names, hometown heroes, and guys we gave up on too soon. Nice to revive the names and talk about some of the former stars in Cardinals history and bring them back to the spotlight again for a moment.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

139. gscottar – Branch Rickey, Manager

I know there are some other great Cardinal managers still available but I really intended to go with Rickey all along anyway. His W-L record as Cardinal manager was only average at best but he is still considered one of the giants of the organization, in fact all of baseball. While he is known for integrating baseball with the Dodger organization he also should be well known for basically developing the concept of the farm system, which he did with the Cardinals. Since this site is devoted to covering the farm system I figured Rickey should be a part of this exercise. He is in the Cardinal HOF and MLB HOF.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Playoffs eh? Before the official rules come out, my roster would benefit from knowing the opposing SP’r(s) before lineups need to be announced.
    I don’t know how detailed you plan to make the games, but I have a platoon at 2B where a choice needs to be made before a game, or before a series.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

140. kscardfan – Bake McBride, Ut

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No mention of Jerry Mumphrey in all of this?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

(In Jim Mora voice)…”Playoffs! Did you say Playoffs?! Playoffs!!”

As JJ said, I would use a platoon as well. But it is all in fun so however you want to go is good with me.

Good comments gscottar on Branch “The Brain” Rickey. I have a 1963 Cardinals yearbook and I believe that is the caption used in there for a picture of Rickey.

Joe Garagiola in the Game Of The Week broadcasts when talking about him would always say “Mister” Rickey. It is hard to exaggerate his contribution to the Cardinals franchise, and that of MLB. He played a big part in crafting what were probably the two most successful National League franchises in terms of pennants from 1926 to 1956. Then add to that helping then a woeful Pittsburgh club into World Champions in 1960.

Not the best manager the Cardinals ever had. Rogers Hornsby, despite his issues later on as a manager, was much better, taking over from Rickey during the 1925 season and making a few changes that spurred the team to winning.

But again, an astute, visionary baseball man whose influence changed the game at the professional level.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I almost went with Gregg Jeffries at 2B instead of Deshields. I would have taken the switch hitter Mumphrey in that case.
    I really loved him, and was one of the first minor leaguers I was excited about following.
    While on a trip to Tulsa, my parents took me to an Oilers game. The Cards team featured Mumphrey, Heity Cruz. and Larry Herndon.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Pugs – I had considered Mumphrey as a possible bench guy if the guys I got would not have been available. A decent player – kind of an under-appreciated Bake McBride. Seems like the Baker got more notoriety, but Mumphrey was similar to him.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Larry Herndon had some success away from the Cardinals as well. Totally forgot about him. Nice call.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Playoffs eh? Before the official rules come out, my roster would benefit from knowing the opposing SP’r(s) before lineups need to be announced.
    I don’t know how detailed you plan to make the games, but I have a platoon at 2B where a choice needs to be made before a game, or before a series.

It won’t be that specific, mostly because I don’t have the ability to do a true simulation. It will be voting based and I will do the game writeups based off the voting. In fact, only two people should know the results ahead of time (myself and BW) as long as the voting rules are followed. After all the picks are made, I will detail how it’ll all go down.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

140. kscardfan – Bake McBride, Ut

Solid choice kscardfan. Bake was on my big board and I came close to choosing him.

No mention of Jerry Mumphrey in all of this?

Jerry was on my big board also but tough choices had to be made. As a matter of fact I bet we could come up with quite an impressive list of Cardinals who were not selected but would make a great team.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.