Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Viewing 25 posts - 1,101 through 1,125 (of 1,216 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read an article talking about adding Maikel Franco or Danny Santana. While the Cards don’t seem likely to spend on new players, these 2 seem interesting. I’m sure Franco will cost 6-8 mill, but maybe he could be picked up on a 1 year deal, making him an power option at third. Even a 2 year deal might work, depending on Wong, Waino, and Yadi’s status. He could stay with the Cards in 2022 when Carpenter’s option doesn’t vest (hopefully), and may not necessarily block Gorman, as he could be moved to DH.

Santana might be had on a minor league contract, and give the Cards another outfield option. He seems versatile, and just a couple years ago hit 28 homers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder what kind of interest Trevor Rosenthal is getting out there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another TJ recovery project guy is American Leaguer Branden Kline. Like Rosenthal, after a rough patch showed some possible promise in most recent chances. Not sure how much money teams might throw at this kind of guy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My take is the thumpers are going to cost more than Mo wants to spend. Some smart, and lucky, run prevention moves without budget implications beyond 2021 seems more Mo-like. Somewhat bruised up low hanging fruit now, dry powder for when the revenue stream clarifies.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of an interesting article although I do not condone some of the salty language.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am assuming bccran did not help write this article…. o)

Participant

Okay I get bcc’s feelings towards Bader…. some deserved (Harry enough with the cockiness already) and some yet to be decided by Bader himself. Bader must have figured out that ’21 might be his last season to show the organization some more production at the plate and cut down significantly on his K rate or become one of those players that will be faintly be remembered as “good field no bat”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You have to love it…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Or maybe that should be it you ain’t broke, you’ll fix it.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would love Trevor back, but it seems unlikely. That situation would be so combustible.

I think you explore any potential blockbusters, but be prepared to march out the same team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, here is one of those headlines where the writer is literally making something up out of nothing. The Cardinals are “in on” David Peralta because Derrick Goold mentioned that the Cardinals talked about him “once before” and Goold thinks they should do so again.

I am all in favor of Peralta and I have stated so before, but wow what a stretch of an article!

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1346815029291741185

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Definitely far, far out of context to even hint that is a rumor. In his chat, Goold was being pushed to name players the Cardinals might want to be acquiring in trade. Because some naïve fans think:

1) Beat writers have the GM’s phone tapped.

and

2) Beat writers hold back rumor information until someone asks them.

Anybody who has been around more than 10 minutes knows the Cardinals are notoriously tight-lipped about player moves. Many times, deals get announced for names that no one had been talking about previously.

Rather than say, “I don’t know,” Goold probably felt like he had to respond with something. So he mentioned a safe name from the past, more as an example than anything. That seems the extent of it as far as my impression, anyway.

P.S. I give you kudos, gscottar, for being able to see this “report” for what it is (not).

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I have to give you credit for that. You have trained us well to read deeper instead of being sucked into a headline.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some are willing to expand their scope, but others remain tethered to the past…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Using 8mil per win, here is what the top 6 STL salaries are expected to produce in war for 2021.

Goldy 3.16
    Carpenter 2.31
    Mikolas 2.13
    Fowler 2.06
    Miller 1.50
    Martinez 1.46

As most likely to least likely, descending, to meet or exceed their expected production in 2021 (162 games), I’d rank them as…

Goldy – 5.6 war pace last season over 162 games
    Martinez – expected 1.46 war is low for a SP’r over a full season, attainable
    Mikolas – expected 2.13, but over 32 starts in 2019, 1.6 war. re-establish health and effectiveness.
    Miller – hasn’t been a 2.0 war player since 2017, was on 0.6 pace last season.
    Carp – 0.3 pace last season, a full 2.0 war under expected 21′ production.
    Fowler – even if he puts up a 120 ops+, his D cancels out a huge portion of that value. no chance.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl.
    Participant

Anybody who has been around more than 10 minutes knows the Cardinals are notoriously tight-lipped about player moves. Many times, deals get announced for names that no one had been talking about previously.

Well put. It seems that “many times” = all of the time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Any doubt this was going to happen? At least it isn’t another Arenado segment….

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And the game of telephone continues… Once allegedly interested vs. CURRENTLY interested? Just words, right? 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Its just click bait, relax. Something worth talking about is bound to happen eventually.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reputable sites should know better and do better.

Participant

Its a matter of opinion and J.P. Hill (VEB) arranged the roster in three groups.

Core Players (9): Flaherty, DeJong, Goldschmidt, Kim, Bader, Mikolas, Gallegos, Miller, Hicks.

What If’s (10): Carlson, Edman, Martinez, Carpenter, Gomber, O’Neill, Knizner, Reyes, Helsley, Cabrera

Low-Impact (7): Fowler, Heineman, Sosa, Webb, Ponce, Whitely, etc.

I would move Ponce up to “What Ifs” and maybe drop Bader into the same. The rest seem to be fair.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That would be a very interesting debate. In fact, it might be worth its own thread, Ny. Just a thought.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant belongs in that core, imo

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ESPN did a list of “best of” players for 2021. The Cards didn’t care very well:

Goldy was 3rd at 1B, Flaherty was an honorable mention at SP. That was it for current Cards. I think Dejong got snubbed to not even get a mention among the top 15 SSs. Yadi was 9th at C and Wong 8th at 2B.

Here’s a link to the OF group for reference (subscription required):

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30650251/buster-olney-top-10s-2021-ranking-mlb-best-outfielders

Participant

Free

stlcard25:

It’s “fare” very well and not care very well.
    That being said, it can’t be a surprise the Cardinals didn’t do well in the best players of 2021.
    Goldschmidt and Flaherty are the only quality players they have. DeJong is mediocre and Molina is at the end of his career. The rest are unproven kids and average to below average slugs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,101 through 1,125 (of 1,216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years