Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Viewing 25 posts - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,244 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nate, I understand where you are coming from, but why do you have to use derogatory words to describe the Cardinals players? It draws focus away from your message, IMO, and paints you as an overly-negative poster.

You’ve probably used “slugs” at least a dozen times over the years and it rubs me the wrong way every time. Just sayin…

Participant

Free

Thank you, Brian. It rubs me wrong, also.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25:

It’s “fare” very well and not care very well.
    That being said, it can’t be a surprise the Cardinals didn’t do well in the best players of 2021.
    Goldschmidt and Flaherty are the only quality players they have. DeJong is mediocre and Molina is at the end of his career. The rest are unproven kids and average to below average slugs.

Obviously, I know that. F and C are above and below each other on the phone keyboard and as I do almost every post of mine there, occasionally I just miss a key and it doesn’t correct it.

Anyway, I guess we shall have to see how things look at the end of 2021. I agree with the others that to call the players who play for the team you root for “slugs” is a bit overly negative for my tastes. We all know that it’s your M.O. at this point, though. Hopefully the Cards can win a Series sometime soon so perhaps you can enjoy a season.

Participant

Free

Fair enough, I can say average players to describe most of their acquisitions..not Goldschmidt.

Participant

Free

Almost all of the acquisitions made sense at the time – Heyward, Fowler, Ozuna, Goldschmidt, Gallegos, O’Neill, etc. As well as the signings of Mikolas and Kim.
    All filled a need.

Participant

Benintendi is the flavor of the week regarding trade speculation. Consider “Benintendi resides in St. Louis, Missouri, during the offseason, and during the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals, he voiced his support for the St. Louis Blues as opposed to the Boston Bruins.” this from an article by Blake Newberry on the VEB site.

And he is a lefty batter. Hmmmmm.

It seems that Cardinal fans are clamoring for some kind of FO action….. anything.

I’m all in for the Wainwright re-upping and signing a catcher that will save a lot of $$ but provide better numbers than what we get from that position.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny said:

It seems that Cardinal fans are clamoring for some kind of FO action….. anything.

Of course, they are. Doesn’t mean it will happen, though. Even Goold in his chat on Monday was not optimistic about the Cardinals adding a difference-making bat. My advice is to keep expectations very low.

P.S. Max Scherzer is from St. Louis. Fans tend to get excited about things that may or may not really matter.

Participant

Free

People from St. Louis feel it matters. Having David Freese as a local hero was very special here. Both for the local fans and for David. The same would have mattered for local fans and for Scherzer, who was a 3 sport athlete at Parkway Central High School.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So you think that Benintendi, a slightly above average player from Ohio, would put enough incremental fans in the stands to make that a factor in whether the Cardinals acquire him? Just because his wife is a native and he moved there after getting married? I would have to question that. He is no more a hometown player than Jim Edmonds, for example.

Because it may not have been understood, I will explain my reference to Scherzer. He is a native and is recognized as one of the best in the game. He expressed a clear interest in playing for the Cardinals. (None of which is the case with Benintendi.) And the Cardinals still passed on him.

So I am having a hard time believing this local connection with regard to Benintendi is any more than a passing fan curiosity.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My interest in him has nothing to do with a St. Louis connection. It is that he was a star player for the Univ. of. Ark. and I watched him play several times. That is just my own personal bias. I know the Cardinal front office doesn’t care where he is from. They just have to evaluate if he can recapture the numbers of his early career or not.

And I might add that I have not read anywhere that the Cardinal front office has any interest in acquiring him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right on, gscottar…

Participant

Free

Have no idea about Benintendi. Just know how fans in St. Louis revere athletes and celebrities who come from here.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Benintendi was the specific subject of the discussion as a potential trade target. The quoted article mentioned his local connection, suggesting it is relevant.

Participant

Free

Again, have no idea about Benintendi.
    He’s not originally from St. Louis and as well I haven’t looked up his stats to analyze.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Fowler wasn’t part of the equation, Benintendi would be a very good option. I actually think he’d make a perfect 4th OF on a championship level team. He’s a solid hitter who won’t kill you at any of the OF spots with the glove. He’s kind of what I’d say is the low end “not disappointing” version of Dylan Carlson looks like. At his age, there’s a shot that he still has a little more left in the tank. Definitely the type of player the Cards would have coveted in that 2015-17 “plug the gaps to keep the window open” era.

Participant

Free

Looks like he was born in Cincinnati and and graduated from Madeira High School, in a suburb of Cincy. Was ABCA/Rawlings National high school player of the year.
    Went on to the U. of Arkansas, where he became SEC player of the year. Was drafted by the Red Sox in the 1st round (#7 overall) in 2015. He was 20 years old when he was drafted and made it to the major leagues at age 21 – fast mover. Decent slash line as a major leaguer – .273/.353/.435/.788. Spunky little ballplayer that would be nice to have on the team. A little short of power perhaps to be a starting corner outfielder, but his left handed contact bat and overall outfield versatility could be a real plus.

Participant

It isn’t that the fans would feel that he is a hometown guy because he lives in St. Louis but rather that he would enjoy playing close to home and perhaps increase his production. I don’t know if that is the case…. but we already know of guys that won’t play in St. Louis. Wife is happy – life is happy.

Cards have to pass on too many guys because of that ill-fated Fowler contract. It might be that other GMs would be let go because of a faux pas like that. Not only does the FO dictate that he has to play but the Cards are hand-tied in acquiring someone who could actually add some productivity. Mind-blowing.

Participant

Free

I’m lost on that, 14. Who won’t play in St. Louis?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That can be a two-edged sword, Ny. I have spoken with some guys over the years who don’t like the distraction of so many people at home tugging at them for time and attention. Not immediate family, but others. For example, for a number of reasons, it proved to be better for David Freese as a person to play elsewhere.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

Who won’t play in St. Louis?

We can start with Stanton, Giancarlo….

Participant

And that may be just scratching the surface. Stanton had to come out and say it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right. I just picked the one example that is totally indisputable.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Heyward certainly had the opportunity to stay here and chose not to but that may have been more about him thinking the Cubs had a brighter future than it did not liking the city of St. Louis.

Participant

Free

It was best for David Freese not to play in St. Louis because of influences here.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kris Bryant probably wouldn’t want to play here either. Lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years