Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Viewing 19 posts - 1,226 through 1,244 (of 1,244 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I guess it gets back to Bernie’s point the other day. Maybe for some to understand what 2021 is and perhaps more importantly, what it is not, someone from the team has to tell them point blank (not that it would actually happen). Seems to me that expectations are set too high for some, though they let the disappointment happen to themselves.

“Yeah, yeah, I know they have a down payroll, but they are going to re-sign Wong and add another outfield bat, right! Maybe they can get Springer…”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I assumed the Cardinals would do nothing this off-season and they have done just that. They always have plenty of excuses and not having fans at the ballpark last year just gave them another excuse. Amazingly they could still win the central, that’s how bad it is, but that’s it. Maybe mlb should instead of allowing more teams, should allow less teams to make the post season. If your division is do horrible cause no one is trying to do better, maybe just deny the whole division.

Participant

Free

Offense: the team needs to upgrade, somehow. I know the salary structure has the front office hand tied but there should be something they can do. The weak links are the OF and 3B.

Defense: it is fairly good. However, IMO, 3B could be upgraded. Carpenter stops what he gets to but has a weak arm. Edman is an average defender there but both of their bats are weak for the position.

Pitching: the team is loaded with starting pitching and relievers. They should use some of their excess in a trade to upgrade other areas.

One of the first things they need to do is start working on extensions for Waino and Molina. In Molina’s case, they need to let him declare free agency first. That way they do not have to work about a maximum cut ceiling.

Offense: upgraded 3B and maybe 2B.
    Defense: upgraded 3B. 2B may be a little worse.
    Pitching: sounds like they are using some of their excess to upgrade 3B.
    Waino: re-signed.
    Molina: re-signed???

Let’s see how this season goes.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t given up on O’Neill yet. Let’s see what he does at spring training. My opinion is that thus far he has been continuing to adapt and develop. Lane Thomas had a wipeout case of the COVID flu in 2020, so we still have to find out what he can do. Dean is a kind of a sleeper, the kind of sleeper Shildt likes, IMO. It’s my understanding that Williams is out of options and he has to make the opening day roster, or he gets waived. This is going to be a high pressure spring for these four kids.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Other than Carlson, O’NEIL is the only other one likely to hit his way into playing time. Any of them could do it; those two I expect to do it.

Participant

Free

FanGraphs available outfielders

Other than 0zuna who is cringeworthy in LF, it will have to be a trade of surplus pitching for someone like <sigh> Pham or Arozerena.

Participant

Free

I wonder if my comment goes on the other thread with Gallo and Nimmo?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other than Carlson, O’NEIL is the only other one likely to hit his way into playing time. Any of them could do it; those two I expect to do it.

I expect the same. I’m a little gunshy after O’Neill did not hit well at all in 2020, but I could see both of them putting up an OPS in the .800 or better range this year. That would really make the lineup formidable as I expect Goldy and Arenado at .850+ and Dejong should be in the .800 range as well, since I believe he will actually get a day or two off this year. Bader should be solid if he’s used properly (every start against LHP and late inning defense plus some games where OF defense will be more vital) and we can only hope for a renaissance from Carp or Fowler. Yadi is here for the glove. Perhaps Thomas will get to play against lefties.

All in all, while I’d love to add Nimmo, the offense has some potential to be better than it has in a few years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader will be our centerfielder. Shildt has made that clear. He loves Bader’s defense. Fowler will be if right field because of his veteran status and overall decent play. That leaves left field for Carlson, O’Neill, Thomas, Williams, and Dean. Carlson has the edge, but O’Neill will give him a run for his money, IMO. The Cardinals’ coaches like Thomas. I think fifth outfielder is his to lose. Williams could be a factor, but he has never been a factor so far, so it’s hard to expect him to mount much of a challenge to Thomas or Dean. I think Dean will get some major league AB’s this year.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Williams being out of options will now force a decision by management.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Usually, there’s at least one big surprise at spring training where a prospect finally breaks out. O’Neill could be the one, although he’s not really a prospect anymore. I’ll go with Edmundo Sosa based on how he was looking last spring. I was there at spring training the weekend before it shut down and I remember seeing a certain player on the field and thinking ‘Who’s that?’ because he looked stacked and ready. It was Sosa. My second guess is Williams, but only because the potential is there, not because of anything he’s done so far.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt has not ruled out platooning. In fact, he has touched on the thought during the off-season. If the Cards do that, what would be the most likely positions?

My point is that we shouldn’t be making assumptions about who will play every day, other than the set guys – Goldy, DeJong, Arenado and Carlson, IMO. Edman and Fowler would also be among them to begin – unless they play their way out of everyday status.

Participant

Free

I’d be shocked if Carlson isn’t in the lineup most every day. Having Arenado on the team with Goldy and Waino provides superb leadership and example setting for the younger guys. Would not like to be a youngster who is overly cocky or steps out of line.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For the platoon, I’d have O’Neill facing most of the RHP and either playing left with Carlson sliding to CF, or just straight splitting with Bader. It would be more of a 50-50 split though, with Bader playing against all the lefties and some righties. Fowler plays against righties until or unless he proves he’s toast, with O’Neill or Thomas playing against lefties. Carlson is the one constant.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The platooning possibility is even more real with the addition of Arenado and the current no NL DH status (TBD). How can there not be a trickle down effect on playing time?

Does Carpenter play some 2B? Does Edman now see more outfield time than expected? Edman was second in PA’s last season and Carpenter 6th. I’m very curious to see how Shildt handles the Edman / Carpenter roles.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Williams or Thomas will be interesting too. I don’t see both making the bench.

Participant

Free

If there is a DH and O’Neill starts hitting like he can, he will force his way to playing time. That will probably leave Carpenter and Fowler with fewer plate appearances.

Participant

Free

Arenado is a true horse. Terrific professional. He never let’s up on himself as far as trying to improve. No matter how good he gets. Absolutely driven to win it all. What a great example he’s going to be for the younger players. Outside of how he performs on the field, he may the type of player who makes the players around him better. I actually feel better about our present outfield because of his influence.

Viewing 19 posts - 1,226 through 1,244 (of 1,244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years