Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

SO much for it was nothing

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes back on DL 10 day DL.O`Neill and Gant down.Comber and Voit up and Mayers again.
    Reyes Right Lat strain.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ugh…hate to see that with the kid…was worried he might overdo it…lat is about a month…and id have to think the bullpen becomes a real option now for him whether he or anyone else likes it or not

Gomber up! yay! Voit though?..i like the Mercado idea better i think Mayers expected

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are different severities of lat strains. This is not the mild version.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So he’s on the 10 day DL. And then we read its significant.

Anybody got the definitive word here?

r/Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Rats, unless they need to make 40 man space, you would only use the 10 day DL. He can be moved to the 60 day anytime they want with the 60 day start date being the day he started on the 10 day DL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Noah Syndergaard had a grade 2 lat injury and missed nearly 5 months last year. It’s not hard to make the comparison of the two in terms of being hard throwing, big righties. There’s a good chance this is a season ending injury.

I have to admit that this is a crushing blow to my enjoyment of this team this year. They are not a great team and watching the offense is as exciting as watching paint dry. The bullpen is infuriating. I was really looking forward to watching Alex ply his trade 20 more times this year. It looks like we may not get even one.

I signed up for MLB.tv over the weekend and I think I’ve got one more day to cancel and get a refund. Today’s news has me seriously considering it. ?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team at the moment is a wildcard contender. With a little better offense and bullpen they will be a division contender.

I can’t believe someone would be considering giving up on this team this early and only because Reyes MIGhT go down for a while.

To each his/her own I guess

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

…because Reyes MIGhT go down for a while.

There is no might about this. He’s going to be out for a significant part of the season. Does it mean the seasons over? No, but its not like this team is exciting. He was one of the biggest aspects of the team and now that’s over. He’s now basically lost 2 entire seasons.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Reyes is back before September, it’ll be a surprise. And only then because he’s probably not had as severe a strain as the first opinion said.

Like I said, a crushing blow. End of the season? No. But this is not an exciting bunch right now and the Cubs haven’t hit their stride yet. We are 5 behind Milwaukee. Pretty much second wild card material at this point.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

In thought this team was an 82 win team from the get go. I haven’t changed my opinion. I’m tired of Jose Martinez in general, but especially playing 1B. There are lots of good players on this team, but nobody to put it over the top. The rotation is the only thing this team as, even without Reyes. I’m glad Mikolas has proven me, and everybody else, wrong to this point. I really like Flaherty. Wacha has stepped up his game. The pen is a mess, but Holland and injuries haven’t helped that situation.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unbelievable. It’s not his fault in the least, but I’ll never get all jacked up about his return ever again. He’s totally Eliot Ness…..that’s “untouchable” for those of you living in Rio Linda….. in his 3 rehab starts and then sustains a major injury just a few innings into his much awaited start with the big club. What are the odds. First and foremost, I feel terrible for Alex. All of that excruciating work and then this. And how about the organization? Their top prospect down for the count yet once again. This injury most likely results in an abrupt end to any possibility that our Cards had of obtaining Machado too…..so this injury doubly sucks!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I was going to post my opinion on this whole Reyes thing a couple days ago but for some reason I was on my phone and it didn’t post. This was after he left the game but some of my opinion was voiced in the spring.

My feeling on Reyes is that this whole thing getting him back to the rotation felt a bit rushed. I was of the opinion he should rehab and be brought into the pen and slowly be brought into this rotation in August. Now I don’t know the length of his rehab work in Extended spring training but I know of his work in the minors in his 4 start as the whole baseball world but he thrived in the pen in 2016 and could’ve been used to piggy back a starter who just didn’t have it to make to the 5th or 6th. We had a need I felt in the spring in the pen and this was before Holland was signed. I felt Reyes could be a huge boost. Granted I didn’t expect Hicks to make the team but the needs at the time heading out of spring was the pen.

Now it appears we’ve lost him again. Good thing we’ve got all this surplus of pitching talent that will make this like last season. You know when he wasn’t around.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

well reyes season is over

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, tough blow. I actually told my cousin, a Pirates’ fan, that the Cardinals might be a “beast” over the second half with Reyes in the rotation, giving us Martinez, Wacha, Reyes, Mikolas and either Flaherty/Weaver as the fifth guy, and the other perhaps shoring up a so-so bullpen.

With that rotation, and several under-performing guys climbing back to their career norms, and Molina and DeJong, etc we looked like a potential power house.

Reyes is starting to look like one of those Scipio Spinks type, the guy we got from Houston for Jerry Reuss who had all the tools and looked to be a great pitcher, but could never stay on the field. He ended up winning 5 games for the Cardinals, while Reuss went on to win almost 200 games after leaving his hometown team.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

why is everyone just making declarations about his potential comeback this year with almost ZERO facts to back it up

more than few starts sounds to me like a month or 2…which still puts him in line to play a good role for us in the stretch

“significant” is pretty vague and so is “more than a few”…but there is nothign saying that it is like what Syndegardard had at all…it COUDL be but it could entirely not be… again peopel want to throw away players and seasons and games and everything at the drop of a hat…at some point you have to be optimistic for your team or what is the point?

i was worried about overhype for reyes gettign to his head before he started..especialyl with how well he did…i figured he woudlnt last long , but i was really hoping he woudlnt over do it and maybe get injured

what i am especially worried/interested about is whether during that mound visit when his velocity dropped and he said everything was ok (yes adrenaline can push this too)…and he finished the inning with more speed if that was when it went from a minor problem to a “significant” strain…because he was told his velocity went down and then he over threw to get it back up to waylay their speed concerns

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, the concern is that the Cards, notorious for downplaying injuries, even admit that he’s going to be out for a significant amount of time. Remember when Carlos went down and they said he’d miss a start? It obviously was a lot more than that.

You may be right in the end but the history with this team says he will be out multiple months and maybe the year.

You have your tinted glasses on and that’s fine, even admirable at times…we need it sometimes here…but in this case I think we on the other side have good reason to be concerned.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is no problem being concerned but too many are too quick to give up at the first negative indicator. He may be gone for the year and another injury is concerning but his injuries are not similar and young people heal quickly. Hopefully he will be back sooner than later.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Sorry to hear about Reyes. At this point I now put Flaherty as our #1 prospect… Reyes can’t be considered #1 if he seems to be injury prone and hasn’t pitched for the Cards much in the last three seasons. Add all his time on the DL PLUS his suspension… that’s a whole lot of playing experience missed out on.

The question becomes…. what exactly do we have here?

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The better question becomes – who is the next No. 1 prospect after Flaherty and Reyes graduate from the rankings?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rather ironic, but Reyes pitched exactly four innings on Wednesday to reach exactly 50 for his MLB career, so his prospect eligibility officially ended.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the second time this year we have had a pitcher complete a rehab assignment and feel great then the minute they step on a MLB mound they are injured. What are the odds?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When is Reyes’ second opinion on his injury supposed to happen? Today?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.