Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

This topic contains 375 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 376 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On the offensive side, yeah Reyes isn’t a help but if Carp, Fowler, Wong and Ozuna hit to their career numbers then the offense will be top half of the league and not an issue.

Well that’s a pretty big if isn’t it? The season is about 1/3 over and we are still waiting.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think it’s that big an if. Last year at this time, Carpenter and Fowler had bad stats and they eventually turned it around. Guys have slumps at different times. The track record says that they will be closer to their career normals than what they are now.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

“Like I mentioned in another thread unless Reyes and Flaherty can also swing a mean bat I don’t know if our win total will increase much. Our offense and bullpen must step up.”

I struggling with this line of thinking…arent we all on board with the idea that winning at baseball is about a positive margin of runs generated over runs saved? I agree our offense needs to improve, but adding quality pitching, regardless of offensive run output can only be a net positive…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Directed at twitter in general rather than the discussion here…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The one who has raised expectations is Alex himself through his rehab performances!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i kind of brought up what Brian said far more eloquently a while ago… add in even if he does do well how does that really fix the offense or bullpen?

Even if he goes 7 innings 10ks no runs and a couple walks and hits…if we dont score any runs or the bullpen in the 8th or 9th decides to not show up then how are we better?

I like Gant in the pen..yesi think that helps and does matter

but until Yadi and DeJong come back all we have to hope for is a rising Carp and hopefully Ozuna and Fowler to figure it out…

Good news is that Yadi and DEjong should be back within the next month or so and that leaves plenty of time to make up anything we have lost getting to them

i was hoping we coudl go .500 without Yadi…Dejong going down made me hope for .333 until at least Yadi got back…

we may just have to suffer through this down time and hope for some health to get back in it…add in one of Wong Ozuna Fowler to turn it around without losing anyone else in the lineup to poor play…

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I know everybody has high expectations for Reyes. But I’ve been around long enough to realize you need to understand its a results oriented business/game and so far Reyes really hasn’t don’t anything. Until he does I am not going to get too excited over him. Hopefully he will be the Ace we have needed for years but I’m not expecting that.

r/Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You know better than that, Rat. You have earned the right to be classified as a true baseball man. And as such, certainly you realize that Reyes is the real deal. The only thing that could keep this player from being a star would be an awful string of major injuries. Now if you please……. would the real Rats “Whitey” Buddy please stand up.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Who gets sent down if indeed that’s the move? Doesn’t Flaherty have something going on with service time?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858, I am posting an article in the morning on that very service time point.

Also, for those listening on the radio instead of watching on Facebook, I am joining Tom Ackerman on KMOX’s pre-game show to discuss Reyes before his start.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am betting 10 strikeouts as the under /over. Let’s see how this goes.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tomorrow

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

If the Cardinals cared about winning Flaherty stays put and Gant is the one sent down.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mayers to Memphis and Leone to 60-day DL to make room for Reyes.

Cardinals Bring Reyes off 60-Day Disabled List

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SO it was just a malfunction, and he was taken out as a precaution. So hopefully he doesn’t miss a start. Especially strange when his last pitch was recorded at 96. Thankfully, no Ronnie Williams here.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve heard of guys being “taken out” by a gun before, but never taken out of a game by a gun. In this case a malfunctioning one. One must wonder if the Brewers are behind it all? Gun Gate anybody?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They need to check the accuracy of their guns before getting ahead of themselves.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Proper calibration and care of that radar gun yesterday and Reyes stays in longer and maybe we win that game. Could end up costing our Birds the title. All in one decade…..the Rally Squirrel giving us a pennant and a radar gun taking one away. Like they say, all things do even out in the end….but gosh darn it the radar gun ordeal was preventable while the Rally Squirrel was destiny.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Given the number of radar guns that I am sure were behind home plate, it seems a little strange they didnt verify the velocity change with anyone else.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t think it was a big deal that they took him out. First, he was struggling and I don’t think he would’ve made it much past 5 innings. With his spot coming up, a PH there is fine. Gant is a good long reliever too so I’d bet he pitched about as well as Reyes would’ve if he had stayed in for a fifth or even sixth inning.

Exciting seeing him pitch though. It would be interesting if, when Gregerson gets back on track, they go Reyes-Gregerson-Hicks and just screw with the opposing team trying to time the velocities.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes clearly struggled with command the entire game. He could not get his curve over the plate. Chalk it up to first game jitters.

Has it been verified that the radar gun was off. the drop in volume was noticeable but I thought he was dialing it down to get the ball in the zone. I don’t second guess taking him out. He was getting close to the pitch count and noticably struggleing.

I like the picture on Facebook but get real tired of the insets and constant interviews. If the game was at home I suspect that the rally squirrel would have got a gig.

Home plate umpire was horrible. Square may have been off a bit but he called strikes on pitches well out of the box on both sides of the plate. Cost us at least two walks and a bad strikeout call on a low pitch to I think Gyorko.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes to DL with a lat strain. Cards option Gant and O’Neill to Memphis, recall Gomber, Mayers and Voit.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 376 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years