Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 435 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes has shoulder issues, which quite likely affected his 2019 results before he was shut down.

Participant

Paid - Annual

However it turns out, we should not be trading, or as some have suggested, release him. The former would provide little value in return, and the latter makes no sense at all. As long as his velocity and stuff remains good, he has 2 more option years remaining

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope the shoulder issues did affect him, because his rehab tour in 2018 was lights out. What did he have, 9 straight strikeouts? Also, a part of me wants to say he may be a person who tries to play through injury. I wonder if he felt any twinges during 2018 rehab. He may have been very frustrated and ignored some injury signs. Purely speculation on my part.

Participant

Free

I think Spring Training will decide the future of Alex Reyes.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree with your comment Minuteman3. Surely to Pugs he will be healthy coming into ST next February.

But if he comes in with another ailment or injury, or suffers one during ST, well, probably time to just point him to the door.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Spring Training is important to Reyes, but that applies to a lot of players. Any decision time on Reyes likely occurs in 2021 in his last option year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Plenty of pitchers have had their careers ruined by injury, never to have any chance to reach their potential because they can’t stay healthy at all. There have been some others, however, you have managed to come back and have relatively productive careers.

Very true. One that comes to mind is Jason Isringhausen. He started out as a phenom starter with the Mets and was going to be the next Tom Seaver. Injuries derailed him for a couple of years but he bounced back as a reliever and had a very good career. He is a Cardinal Hall of Famer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_K_(baseball)

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another guy like that is Hall of Famer Jim Palmer. He had a good rookie year at age 20, then missed most of the next two years. He came back after that and had along and productive career as one of the best pitchers in base all for the decade of the 70s.

Participant

Paid - Annual

While I am not counting on Reyes, it is interesting to look at Zack Wheeler. He missed a couple of seasons, but has bounced back nicely the last few years. I also hope they don’t trade Reyes because when the Kyle Gibsons of the baseball world get 3 years and 30 mill there is an obvious shortcoming of quality starters.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yes, I wouldn’t count Reyes out for the rotation at some point this season.

Participant

Free

If Martinez is to return to the rotation. Why not convert him to a bullpen arm for 2020. It isn’t like we aren’t in need of someone to fill that roll.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Innings pitched for Alex Reyes at the big league level:

2016: 46
    2017: 0
    2018: 4
    2019: 3

I’m not saying we give up on him but there should be no expectations.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m just saying it would be a nice surprise/bonus. Seems like such a waste of ace like talent.

Participant

Free

It’s unreasonable to think he could be a 175 IP stud in 2020. Would 100 even be a stretch?

Participant

Free

The first big test for Reyes is…Can he get out of ST without season ending surgery. I’d put the odds at 50/50.

Participant

Free

Which is why they should think about him and convert him to a late inning guy.

Poncedeleon would be the other guy I’d consider. I think he’s got a closers make up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m just saying it would be a nice surprise/bonus. Seems like such a waste of ace like talent.

I’d say 25/75 that Reyes reaches anything close to his full potential. But if he does…. what a surprising bonus. It would be extra special if he can pitch without breaking down.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel that there’s a chance that Reyes will be helpful to the Cards, whether in the rotation or the bullpen.

I’d like to hear what other reader’s thoughts are about that.

I’d also like to hear, if he was still eligible, where you would place Reyes on the Card’s top-prospects list?

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s really difficult to make any kind of projection for Alex Reyes because of his propensity for injury. But if we just throw that out and assume he will be healthy and able to pitch up to his ability, then I would rank him No. 1 as a prospect. I think he should be in the bullpen. He could be used for long relief where a starter can’t make it past 4 or 5 innings. Reyes could be brought in for the last 4 or 5 innings to complete the game. Nobody wants to talk about a healthy Alex Reyes because of all the disappointments. But if he could stay healthy all season, that could have a profound impact on the coming season and postseason. This player was the number one prospect in the game for a reason.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If CMart is going to the rotation I would like to see Reyes be given a shot in the bullpen. We are going to need all of the help we can get until Hicks comes back.

I would probably rank Reyes between 20 and 30. He still has high end potential, albeit unfulfilled, but age is starting to become an issue if he were still labeled a prospect.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I was ranking Reyes now, I’d probably have him in the top 10, maybe 5th or 6th. He still has all the potential in the world, but the injuries have really sapped all his momentum and you wonder if the stuff will take a tick back coming off the persistent shoulder injuries. Still, even if he sits more 93-94 than 96-97 coming back (which I have no idea, maybe he’s still got the velocity) he would still have enough with the two plus breaking pitches to be a mid rotation starter, and more upside than anyone but Thompson IMO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because Rats regularly asks about Reyes…

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Thanks for reading my mind, Mr. Walton. I was at the Springs Valley holiday tourney this weekend and somebody mentioned a Hispanic woman and said something about the name Reyes. That triggered my thoughts about Alex Reyes so I was going to find this thread and ask again.

I am glad others realize how important Mr. Reyes could be to the team. Sometimes I think I am the only one that realizes what a HUGE loss Rick Ankiel was to Cardinal pitching for 15+ years.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Rats, there have been many pitchers that ended up getting hurt that have affected the team over the years. Some would have made a big difference. Others, a small difference. Ankiel was a mental “injury” but he had the potential to be an elite pitcher. So does Reyes although I am starting to lose hope in him.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, its been about a month now. And we are about ten days away from pitchers and catchers reporting. So, two questions this time.

1) Any news on Alex Reyes?

2) Any news on Carlos Martinez? Has he recovered from surgery?

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 435 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years