Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

This topic contains 407 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 408 total)
  • Author
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

My guess is Reyes will make 2 AAA starts and will debut in St. Louis on June 5 vs Miami on an extra days rest.

Speaking of Miami Gallen in pitching very well in AAA and could soon get the call up and Alcantara has found control and also pitching extremely well in AAA, especially his last few outings. Kinda would like to see them both in STL in June.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Could he face Alcantara? Rumor has it he may be up for a promotion.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Are we going to get an update on his outing tonight in Memphis?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5 innings (63 pitches), 1 hit, 1 walk…10 Ks. Yeah, that’s solid.

Cardinal25
    Participant

Free

10 K’s 1hit 63 pitches through 5

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinal25…nice name. We can confuse some folks, haha.

On topic…I’m ridiculously excited to watch Reyes pitch the rest of this year.

Cardinal25
    Participant

Free

Stlcard25, yeah we could.?

12 K’s through 6 and 76 pitches. Not much more to prove here. He’s ready.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Avatar Cardinal25.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinal25
    Participant

Free

13 K’s in Springfield and 13 so far in Memphis. At least he’s consistent. ?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And OKC is a good team. He has to be in St Louis ASAP, right?

Cardinal25
    Participant

Free

His next start should be in StL. Nothing more to prove in the minors.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Now if we get Reyes back and can trade Fowler for Mike Trout straight-up we would be in business.

r/Rat

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Sean Gilmartin doing his Greg Holland impression and trying his best to ruin Reyes’ masterpiece.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In his four rehab starts Reyes has pitched 30 innings with 7 hits, no runs, 8 walks and 57 k’s. His best outings at Springfield and Memphis. I think he pitches on the 29th in St. Louis

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

They are in Milwaukee next week Sooner so he wouldn’t pitch in St. Louis until the following weekend. Not sure who is in St. Louis for that weekend series.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

do admit i am finally impressed and hope this can carry over to the Majors leagues.Plus no arm issues.Nice.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

my word…he almost has done TOO well…i want him to be ready and great but i fear his dominance may convince him and our FO and coaches that he is no-miss and put too much stress on him

i dont want him throwing his arm out again just to impress the fans when he is back in…

I am very impressed and happy…i just worry that the confidence from doign a good job can lead to an ego

Reyes cant make the MLB team that much better IMO (at least after CMArt is back)…we are already a top end rotation….unless he has turned his bat into Ohtani’s bat I dont see how he helps the offense…and whiel his presence in the rotation may move a good arm to the pen…is that really the best role for that person?
    I think Gant could add something to the pen, but are we going to have room?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo talked last night and in the P-D article seemed to indicate that Reyes wouldn’t be on an innings limit. While I’m sure there is a limit, it’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out going forward. I read in the article that there will be a 6-games-in-5-days stretch right after the break where the guys they have will come in handy.

Otherwise, perhaps we’ll see some kind of hybrid rotation that will be able to eat bullpen innings when starters have shorter outings (which is still a concern for me for Weaver, Flaherty and Reyes). Imagine facing Flaherty and not really breaking through but pushing up the pitch count, getting by him after 5 with maybe a run on 5 hits…only to face Alex Reyes the next 4 innings to finish the game? Or Weaver in relief of Reyes? Lots of potential.

Imagine being Gant, or Poncedeleon right now…you’re good enough to start on probably 20+ rotations in the big leagues right now but you’re now the #7/8 starter with little chance of getting a long run going forward? I do think those two guys can contribute in the bullpen though.

Then you add Waino, who may be deemed healthy at some point and will want to pitch. I hope we do see him start again…the final weekend as a going away after the Cards have wrapped up the division. ?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like I mentioned in another thread unless Reyes and Flaherty can also swing a mean bat I don’t know if our win total will increase much. Our offense and bullpen must step up.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Though (as others and i have said…probably even you too GScott)…there is something to be said that addition of Reyes to the pen likely puts Gant in the bullpen…which is a quality arm

It may not be a huge upgrade to the pen, but the better the arms in the pen the better the low scores and hitting have a chance of becoming wins.

It is a little help to the pen even if the upgrade to the rotation is marginal with the great play we have got out of it

but hitting is obviously an issue that hopefully sorts itself out…

and i do think SS defense is something to keep an eye on… poor SS defense killed us a few years back when Gyorko was forced to play there too much (at all is already too much)…we have guys who can play SS but do we really have anyone we can count on late? DeJong was becoming very steady before he went down…which was nice to have…but can we really count on Gyorko to play solid SS for an extended time? Munoz may be good but he isn’t going to play every day and Garcia seems not suited for extended playing time at SS

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Plus if Reyes can go deeper into games than whom he replaces in the rotation that also will help the bullpen.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Much like the offense, I think the bullpen issues are a lot more mental than physical ability. There are a number of guys who have been good to elite in the last couple years that just need to buckle down and execute. Looking at you, Holland, Lyons, Cecil, Leone. The rest of the guys are a mix of potential solid options and guys like Norris who are performing to expectations and beyond.

On the offensive side, yeah Reyes isn’t a help but if Carp, Fowler, Wong and Ozuna hit to their career numbers then the offense will be top half of the league and not an issue.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 408 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years