Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 20 posts - 426 through 445 (of 445 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Reyes posted a video on instagram of him pitching off a homemade mound in what looked like his backyard. CMart’s surgery was a cortisone shot in his shoulder.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you want more information, check out the articles on the front page from Winter Warm-Up. You can listen to these two pitchers (and most every other player on the roster) answer questions on their current status. As you might expect, everyone says they are doing great. The proof will be in camp.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes and Carlos are the two questions whose answers could be the difference between a playoff contender and a real threat to win a pennant. Both have tremendous stuff and tremendous questions about whether their arms will hold up well enough to utilize it. I’d be thrilled if Martinez stayed in the rotation all year and Reyes had a healthy year in the bullpen.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Ok, here we are, spring training has started. Any word on Reyes? Does he seem to be in good health? Does he look good with his early throwing? Is he being considered as a starter or reliever at this point?

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nothing is new, rats. Reyes is preparing as a starter, but is more likely going to be a reliever this year. The P-D had an article about him (and Martinez) the other day, but again, there is not much new insight. Position players haven’t even fully reported yet.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/once-a-dynamic-duo-with-sky-high-hopes-martinez-and/article_ebdd740e-617c-5ead-ade9-1fc0010e2d26.html

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hadn’t seen that article, Brian. It would be nice to see Reyes have a solid year in the bullpen this year and be ready to step into the rotation for 2021 after Waino retires. It isn’t something we can expect, necessarily…it would just be nice.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I see things differently as far as Reyes’ use goes. The front office has made sure their prize prospect has had his workload monitored for the last few years. How has babying him helped him the last few years? Not well. I am not blaming his injuries on how he has been handled, but a different approach is necessary. He has the body of an NFL linebacker, and should be able to handle 150-175 innings. But 2 big if’s surround him. 1) Can he stay healthy? 2) Can he earn a slot in the starting rotation? He is certainly the biggest wild card of pitchers in camp.

Participant

Paid - Annual

27…. and how. A reasonable person with the knowledge of Reyes’ pro-career would have to had diluted his potential and ability, hence the wild card. Anything we get out of him in ’20 will be welcomed. If he has a solid season he’ll back back on page one. Can’t say what will happen if he get hurt again or doesn’t show enough.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I just hope he is healthy and effective enough to get a chance in the starter derby. He’s a guy you just can’t count on, but could fill multiple roles.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So, here we are just two weeks from the start of the 2020 season. And here we are, almost five months from the last update.

Anybody have any news regarding how Alex Reyes is going to be used here in 2020?

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems like the first step would be getting into camp and start throwing. Otherwise it is just wild guesses. He could be in the pen. Or he could go to Springfield and start and get ready for a rotation opening. Or he could get injured again. Without a crystal ball, how could anyone know?

P.S. I will say that in March camp, he did not look consistent enough to make the Opening Day 26-man roster at that time. But that was then…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Maybe betonline.ag should add the following prop bet for Reyes:

Alex Reyes – Total pitch count in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 0.5

Participant

Paid - Annual

under.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes looked really good yesterday. Fastball mid to upper 90s, sharp breaking ball, and most important for him, his command looked good. I know it’s just one game, but he is basically unexpected help.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes just spoke with us this morning. Felt really good with delivery. Ball coming out of hand well. Positive outing yesterday.

Said he threw one pen in Springfield then moved to live BP and threw one-plus innings per outing. Suggests to me that he may remain in relief this season.

He also reminded us he has four pitches and will use them in any count. The mix depends on the situation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another wild child outing for Alex. It’s so frustrating to watch a pitcher with his talent blow a hitter away, and then throw pitches to the backstop.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, that was bad. With all of these games packed into a few days, we really need the starter to get through around 50 pitches or so here early, so we have some reasonably rested bullpen help available. They probably would have held Reyes back to maybe 35, but still you need to get 6-9 outs from those. Getting only 3 really puts pressure on the other guys.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Although he has been pretty wild at times, Reyes has been an unexpected unsung hero for the pitching staff. I don’t think anyone expected his 2020 season. I, like many others, thought he was just another potential phenom with a sad ending. Now, it looks like he is at least going to be a late inning power reliever, valuable trade chip, or a longshot starter in 2021.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This has been a very encouraging season for Reyes all things considered. I like him out of the bullpen myself. Next year you could have Reyes, Gallegos, and Hicks to close out games with Cabrera, Miller, and Gant assisting. That seems stout to me.

Viewing 20 posts - 426 through 445 (of 445 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years