Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

This topic contains 312 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 5 hours, 4 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 301 through 313 (of 313 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am exciting to see Reyes in a rotation spot soon

As for trading him. I’d be fine with it as long as it was quality and something with control. If he brought back a Merrifeld or Mondesi from KC. I’d be ok with it. MAYBE Stroman if we could get Giles too. (More in deal)

I worry about his closeness to FA and arb. And his injuries. Not to mention he already has 1strike from drugs.

I want him to be in our rotation. But with the other options I see for us. I think if we got another solid building block back I wouldn’t be against it.

Our 2nd half playoff push rotation could be a lot different than what we see now.

Mik jack. Reyes CMart Hudson Gomber woody Ponce Genesis Shew. Maybe even Keuchel or a trade for MadBum or Stroman or Duffy or Minor.

We have rotation upgrades that can have pretty easily with the construction of the team.

We don’t have much wiggle for new hitters though with substantial changes being made.

Im far less concerned with the rotation and pen as I am with the hitters hitting consistently Ron finding and injecting ones that do

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point brought up about the difference in Reyes 2018 prep and his 2019. I guess it starts and ends with command. I believe there was a Baseball America writer that said his improvement in command in 2018 led him to believe he was ready to succeed in 2019 after the injury. With his velocity the same, and obviously issues another factor could be tipping pitches?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the latest on young Mr. Reyes? Anybody got an update here? Is he throwing strikes yet?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

His latest outing at MEM was forgettable…. at best.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As a side note it was mentioned on FSM last night that Gomber might be out for another month. Yikes!

That means the 5th spot in the rotation is going to be Cabrera, Reyes, Wacha, Ponce, Wooodford, or an outside acquisition.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of crazy to me how a pitcher without loss of velocity or movement can get hit like Reyes has in SPring Training, with St Louis and Memphis. Is his command that bad compared to last year?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The good news is that he is walking fewer batters. The bad news is that he isn’t locating his pitches. Too many over the center of the plate. The leadoff man reached base in all five of his innings last time out (twice on homers). Reyes’ next start is Saturday at Reno.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brian,

Please keep us posted as to how Reyes does Saturday in the Biggest Little City In The World.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What has happened to him that he cant throw strikes???

He wont ever get the call back to St. Louis until he proves he can throw strikes – correct?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

TBH I feel like the return of the Ks is a more positive development than the walks or even runs given up. We know that he’s likely going to have some walks but it’s been the lack of strikeout stuff this year that has me worried.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So, how did Mr. Reyes do in his last outing?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 13 posts - 301 through 313 (of 313 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years