Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

At this point I am not expecting anything from Reyes. Ever. If we do get anything out of him before he fades off into the sunset it will be gravy.

r/Rat

GACard
    Participant

Free

Yeah the injury last year just seems to be the one he might not get back from. Now hurts himself out of frustration

Really unfortunate but I’m not expecting much out of Reyes either. Haven’t had great luck with the Uber talented prospects materializing recently

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So Reyes will be very close to the 55 days needed to secure his services for another year. Although the point may be moot if he keeps getting hurt.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is hard to put into words how frustrating this is, both for him and the team. When his hand heals it might be time to consider him a change of scenery candidate, although I’m not sure what we could get for him. It just doesn’t seem like it is ever going to work out for him here.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I prefer to look at the bright side. Probably delays his FA for a year and will decrease the worry on his innings count.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I find it odd that so many want to sell low on such a valuable player, not just here, but also on social media. Reyes is not out of minor league options, nor is he making a lot of money. What is a logical reason for giving up on him now? 40-man roster space? Room at Memphis taken by better pitchers? I am not getting it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He can only get by on potential for so long. What has ever really accomplished? Nothing except making it to the top of prospect rankings. Since he is so highly regarded, has options, and makes very little, maybe he would be appealing to another organization.

I bring this up for his sake as much as the organization’s. Sometimes a player just needs a fresh start elsewhere.

It is important to point out that this latest injury was not a physical problem but yet a complete lack of judgement that does not inspire confidence in his future to handle adversity.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

What kind of person with half a brain hits a wall with his hand? Especially when his living depends on those hands? This was no accident it was sheer stupidity.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Despite his stupidity, Reyes should not be traded. When we have waited this long for him to realize his potential, what is waiting another month to 6 week?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Reyes was my hope for optimism this year. I thought he would put us over the top. The fact that he hasnt contributed and we still have the best record in the NL to me is very positive. Hopefully he can still give us some value this year.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Consider this, after several years of unfortunate injuries, especially last year when he was on a tear coming back during his rehab in the minors, and now he’s struggling with command issues and then being demoted…. if you wouldn’t be severely frustrated 100 times over, I wouldn’t consider you human.

Did he have a smart reaction? Of course not, but how many stupid things are done at that age? At least he was smart enough to not use his pitching hand!

The positives, it was mentioned above that his service time should now be extended for another year because this injury happened in the minors, which I was a big proponent of sending him down before opening day to keep him an extra year. Second, this could be a wake up call and let him work on the little things and relax. Then, come back up mid summer as a starter and be “Wacha-esque” down the stretch and in the playoffs.

People “giving up” on him over this is undoubtedly the worst possible and irrational idea.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

At least he was smart enough to not use his pitching hand!

Reyes is probably familiar with all of Crash Davis’ lessons for pitchers.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I don’t think you give up on talent. Might even result in him staying here if the market is reduced. Really good pitchers, which he may be, are worth anxious moments. He’s young and doesn’t think. Makes me worry about his influences.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I gave up on Reyes after last year’s surgery, as that seemed serious enough to where whatever value he brings going forward is a bonus. It seems the surgery really did a number on him, and he is drifting toward Rick Ankiel/Steve Blass territory, where the wildness gets in your head.

But I agree with those that say to hang on to him. His value has to be low, so we need to see if he can reverse course and find something again.

I think the kid needs to simply slow down, and do what Sandy Koufax did. Take a little off his pitches and throw at 90% velocity. He still has enough stuff to be effective. Then if his control improves, gradually work up and occasionally let one fly.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

15 walks (against just six hits and 10 Ks) in 13 1/3 innings is not good, but I watched him pitch several times this season, including his last outing, and it was not like Ankiel/Blass. Most of the pitches were just missing and certainly not three feet over the catcher’s head and hitting the screen. It isn’t that kind of unpredictable wildness. Still, it has to be addressed.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That is good to hear. Let’s just hope the walks are not causing him a mental complex. Even missing close, his confidence has to be shaken.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Ankiel, whats the latest on him nowadays?

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be in no way in favor of trading a pitcher like Reyes just yet. In fact, I would probably not trade him before his final year unless his velocity really dips. He still has arm strength and is coming off a couple surgeries that typically take some time to recover from. Hopefully he can straighten things out before the season is over and contribute at the MLB level.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I’m boringly ambivalent.

I say trade him if you can get 75 cents on the dollar, because to me the chances that he’ll ever be more than a reliever seem pretty remote.

Two major injuries in two years, and three self-destructive instances of fairly severe immaturity just that we know of (two drug busts, plus one wall-punching of course) do not bode well for the future, I don’t think. Has anyone with such a checkered health history, coupled with behavioral question marks, ever panned out as an above average MLB starting pitcher for any length of time?

Again, I’m talking ~75 cents for a buck. I’m not advocating he be dumped for a borderline top 100 prospect type just to spare us the anxiety of waiting and hoping, hoping and waiting, over and over. But if the Cards could get a very good cost-controlled MLB bullpen arm, or a top 50-60 or so prospect at a position of relative organizational need, then I say cut the strings. Because if Reyes keeps up this Steve Dalkowski impersonation, he’ll have very little value a year from now.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shades of John Tudor…….although Tudor had the decency to do his idiotic act after the very last game of the season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did you hear Rick Horton’s story about the Tudor incident? He said that when he was told that Tudor had punched a fan in anger, he thought they meant a person, not an air moving device. Now, that would have been bad…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are overdue for some good news. It’s about time for Mr Reyes to step up. If not, he may be used as a chip for a stud starter like Madbum or Scherzer. His last outing in the minirs was very good, but pitching against High A batters doesn’t prove a lot.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If it were possible to trade for draft picks, I’d trade Reyes for a 15th round pick in a New York minute. At this point, I don’t think our Birds would have any takers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, that comment is ridiculous. It is understandable if you are down on Reyes, but don’t think for a minute that he does not have significant value.

By the way, for those still interested in Reyes, I heard Mo on KMOX last night say that Reyes is going to make at least one more start at Palm Beach, but the plan is for him to throw more than the 70 pitches he threw in his first start back.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good news Brian. Stretch him out to 100+ pitches. We need all the starting pitching options we can get.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.