Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

At the risk of sounding like Nate, aka MsPaid, one inning from each guy does not a season make.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By the same token, Reyes’ results have basically never been in question. It’s always been about health for him. When healthy, he’s been very good to elite.

As for Hicks, I would imagine another year of seasoning would only be a plus after coming straight from A ball to the bigs last year. One would think that his huge raw ability would always include some wildness, but he should still be very effective anyway. *If* he ever got plus control too…he’d be unhittable. Like Mariano Rivera level potential. That is a huge if, however.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nolan Gorman is now on the clock as the likely #1 prospect. Montero may be a factor as well. O’ Neill also not a rookie now. Hudson soon to follow.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Bicyclemike:

Gee, thanks. That is about the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hudson is no. 2 here ahead of Gorman, but in less than 20 innings for Hudson, that will change.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sure thing, Nate! You are my favorite when it comes to keeping things in perspective. 🙂

14NyquisT
    Participant

I found this on MLB regarding Comeback players for ’19

Schoenfield: With electric stuff and an impressive 46-inning debut with the Cardinals in 2016 (1.57 ERA), Reyes entered 2017 as arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball. Instead, he had Tommy John surgery, made it back last May and after throwing four scoreless innings in his return suffered a season-ending torn lat. At this point, it’s hard to know what to expect from a pitcher who has thrown just 27 innings in two years.

The Cardinals will use him in high-leverage relief innings to start the season and since they will carefully monitor his workload, he may remain in the bullpen all season. That’s not necessarily a bad thing for the Cardinals, who struggled with bullpen depth last season, but will now have Reyes and Andrew Miller along with Jordan Hicks in the late innings. Reyes has hit 99 mph in his early outings so far, so the fastball velocity is still there, at least in these short relief stints. Is his long-term future still as a starter? We may not know the answer to that question until 2020.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was thinking Reyes’ being sent down might affect his future free agency? If memory serves me, maybe a month? Or maybe I am thinking of Flaherty?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes is 55 days over, so he would have to stay down a couple of months for it to matter.

You were likely thinking of Flaherty, who is six days over. If that holds, no one can blame the Cards for service time manipulation (though some will, anyway).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes pitched an inning in Memphis’ blowout today. Walks to two of the first three batters, but a double play took care of matters. Took him 21 pitches to get the three outs. More work to do.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian, I think he only pitched two-thirds of an inning. Fasola relieved him with two outs and got the third out.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Correct you are, sir. Reyes had walk-DP-walk then pulled. So even rougher than I represented it initially. 21 pitches, 10 strikes for just three batters, two outs.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I started to watch Memphis and Springfield games, but by the time I had lunch, and got to watching it was 11-0 Omaha, and 4-0 Tulsa, Now losing a combined 20-3. Time to move on to Peoria and Palm Beach games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

MiLB TV has been so jank this year. The Springfield games often just buffer and buffer and when it comes back you’ve missed 10 minutes of action only for it to buffer again.

On the topic at hand, though, tomorrow is calling for a ton of rain. I’m thrilled with the prospect of him starting in such sucky conditions.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems like the Cards are pretty settled with their bullpen. Reyes will need better command, or an injury to be called back up. I hope the former will be the case.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How did Reyes do in his most recent outing? Wasn’t he scheduled to start yesterday (Thursday)?

r/Rat

UPDATE: I just checked the Memphis Redbirds stats. Reyes has pitched 10.1 innings so far and has walked 9 batters. Jeepers, whats happened to him???

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Hey Black Hills Card, do you know if CW has a schedule of the Springfield games they plan to show. I caught the home opener and would like to see any others they plan on broadcasting.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Obviously Reyes won’t be leaving Memphis until he can get the walks under control. Hopefully he can put it all together someday.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, you have been coming to this site for years. Surely you know we post recaps of every minor league game all season the next morning, right? It is all on the home page right here…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Rats, you have been coming to this site for years. Surely you know we post recaps of every minor league game all season the next morning, right? It is all on the home page right here…

Nope, had no idea. Just something I never look at.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How about the daily minor league threads right on this board, that have photos and links to those recap articles each morning? Since you get here, there is no way you can miss them. If you really want to know what is happening in the minor leagues, you would not have to work very hard.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, that doesn’t bode too well for him. Was it Justin Williams who punched a TV and broke his hand over the winter?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Williams is still recovering in EST himself. Hope they keep the two away from one another! 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.