Alec Burleson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alec Burleson

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Why trade a reasonably good pitcher when you’re lacking for good pitching? Especially a pitcher who fits into your need for a long man out of the pen?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Do not trade Burleson.

bccran
    Participant

That Yepez/Burleson combo in the future is hard to beat.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I really have no idea why everyone thinks Yepez is so good, or is going to be so good. His average has been plummeting the last 2-3 weeks.

Oh, yes, I forgot, batting average doesn’t mean anything anymore. It’s his EPCOT and his ZAR and his BAGIT and his fWOV that really matter.

bccran
    Participant

Rats – some of the best players in the history of MLB have struggled for awhile after being promoted to the major leagues. Yepez has only been in 62 major league games.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Throwing rocks at stats only confirms a lack of informed.

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere.

bccran
    Participant

Sometimes it’s over use of stats, jj. The players aren’t robots. Stats don’t take into account fatigue, injuries, family issues affecting performance, etc. That’s why the manager needs some latitude. Maybe that’s part of Rat’s point.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Each stat has a specific purpose, and it’s none of the items you mentioned above, so I don’t see how your reply is on topic.

bccran
    Participant

Stats don’t show everything that’s going on with a player, jj. There can be other factors at play. The manager needs to be on top of those factors daily with each player.

Also, stats (analytics and metrics) don’t take into consideration fan enjoyment. What creates an enjoyable product and an enjoyable game in the MLB recreation industry? That’s also what needs to be taken into account.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He will probably be good vs bad teams and bad vs good teams. Pretty much equivalent to some of the young guys we have now. I still think Mo will want to get a look at him in MLB before addressing the O’Neill arbitration issue after the season.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Yepez is a rookie. They all can’t be Trout.

If we get Soto someone(s) has to go.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s very puzzling that Burleson didn’t get added for the Toronto series. You’re losing 2 premier bats and gloves, and Spangenburg is who you choose. Especially since Burleson doesn’t have to be added to the 40 man roster. You lose Rondon for nothing, and replace 2 all stars with a has been. Herrera was the only choice I will say.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Maybe Burleson isn’t vaccinated either. Maybe a lot of the Memphis team isn’t and they took a guy with MLB experience, who is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Spangenberg can play third base to help cover for Arenado. He can also play second to help cover for Donovan, who may get the call at first for Goldy. That is probably why Spangenberg was called up ahead of a corner-only outfielder.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think Yepez would play first.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yepez probably would play an expanded role, but he is on the IL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I forgot about Yepez being hurt.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought for sure that Burleson would get traded. Either the front office thinks he’s got too much potential for them to trade him, or there’s something that scouts don’t like about him, or the rest of MLB has been asleep at the wheel. His progress through the system and the stats he has been putting up all along the way should have made him a hot topic in trade discussions. Maybe we’re finally going to see what Burleson can do at the Major League level.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It might be that Mo was not interested in trading away any of the top group of prospects or controlled players unless someone blew him away with an offer. The media driven Cards/Soto frenzy may have been disconnected from reality. Mo did a good job addressing the pressing need without giving up anything but an injured player whose replacement is doing as good or better.

bccran
    Participant

Burleson sending a message tonight. Homer and double in his first 2 at bats.

bccran
    Participant

In July, failed to get a hit in only 3 out of 18 games. Had 7 multi hit games. Had multi hit games in 2 out of his first 4 games in August.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe the Bader injury/trade situation sheds light on how things might go with Burleson, so I devoted some Sunday morning down time to thinking about it.

The Cards modus operandi tends to be developing MLB talent which is then available to replace guys who are getting expensive if and when the balance of forces says that is in the team’s best interest.

Bader was going to be getting expensive going forward. The gold glove at a premium position was valuable. But then the extended absence brought into focus what the situation would look like if he were replaced by a younger guy, less expensive and with more cost controlled years ahead. Carlson proved his Defensive is close enough so that his greater offensive potential could tip the balance performance wise. That, and Noot emerging as a perfectly adequate RF, at least for now, and the chance to land a desperately needed quality rotation arm, tipped the forces in favor of trading Bader.

The next guy up, as far as going to start getting expensive is O’Neill. It stands to reason that the organization will look at how the forces balance with him. As with Bader, there is the value of the GG defense, albeit at a less critical position.

My sense of what will happen is that O’Neill will be signed for another year, the only question being how messy the arb process is. Beginning next season with Dickerson gone, Burleson will be here in the role Noot was earlier this year. Depending upon how Noot progresses and how Burleson looks, later in the year, perhaps at the trade deadline like with Bader, O’Neill could be moved to get whatever we then need to pug a hole. That would move Burleson into a trial run as a starting outfielder, like Noot is doing now. Having Walker coming along just behind backstops that whole scenario. Worst case for Burly, he finishes next season as 4th outfielder, probably competing for playing time with a recently arrived Walker, who I think, will be getting reps at DH as well as some OF duty.

I lost track of what the September call up situation will be this year, but I feel sure Mo would like to get a look at Burly in MLB before approaching the O’Neill re-signing this winter.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Nice read bb, thanks for that.

So we have Dickerson at 1/5mil and O’Neill at 3.4mil as an arb1 this season.

At Tylers current production and PA’s this season I wouldn’t expect him to see 6mil as an arb2 for 2023. Somewhere in the 5 to 6mil range, unless he goes all 2021 again down the stretch.

2022 has been Tyler’s worst season since debuting and the often injured tag would not be misplaced describing him.

With some outfield depth coming behind him, he does need to right the ship because we all love the power potential, speed and GG D.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed jj, we do love the power potential. Ozuna/Alcantara illustrates what can happen when we come up short and have to bring it in, not to mention the payroll hit going with established talent.

A couple other things also might be in play. First is the debacle of giving away Arozarena and Adolis Garcia, moving them before understanding their potential. The other is signing DeJong multi year before it was necessary and before having an chance to see what his career trajectory was going to look like. Lessons learned and surely remembered.

In hindsight, it was unlikely Burleson was going anywhere until it is understood whether he can be a solid MLB starter. Mo will want to find that out. O’Neill’s career trajectory is being established, now and the last couple years. It seems like by now, and certainly by next year’s trade deadline, there will be enough for the organization to decide upon a long term commitment or moving him to open a path for the next guy with some cost control remaining. A replacement for the power and the defense might be had in house, and if so, O’Neill becomes next year’s Bader and Burleson becomes next year’s Noot.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blingboy, I think your thoughts are close to spot on. I do think they strongly considered trading him and he probably was in the Soto offer and perhaps some other offers. But now that we’ve kept him, I think you’re right on the likely plan and how it will be implemented. I do think they would prefer to keep developing him this year and not put him on the 40-man roster yet so they have more options at year’s end on who to protect and who they could potentially take in the rule 5 or sign in free agency. And, I think that’s a good plan. He probably wouldn’t be better at hitting and certainly wouldn’t be better at defense than anyone we have now on the MLB team. So why not continue to try to upskill him a bit and have him be ready next year.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 379 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years