Alec Burleson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alec Burleson

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Good comments… bling and Jn. Nootbaar should be adequate for the rest of this season and I think it would be premature to count him out for ’23’s starting OF. I like Burleson a lot and would love to see him make the team next season. We also have 3 pretty damn good versatile players in Edman-Donovan and Yepes who will be looking for spots on the 26-man. The team obviously will need catching help so we have some good chips available…. FOR EXAMPLE: O’Neill-Liberatore-Yepez-Woodford should be enough value to get a top-notch C.

Spring training ’23 will be the most exciting in years.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Makes sense Jnevel. The benefit of not using a 40 man slot and not starting the service time clock may outweigh the benefit of getting a look at Burly this year, since it is not really necessary. I hadn’t factored in that aspect.

I also haven’t considered the Yepez aspect. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. I do note that he joined the org in 2015, the same year a Plummer did. We would have a better idea if he had stayed healthy. His defensive limitation is a factor, as is the need to keep him on the 40 man next year or lose him (I think).

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14N, I personally never think much of the ‘basket of stuff we can do without for a top shelf guy’ approach. It could happen, undoubtedly. But I rather think we would have to trade a premium MLB lineup regular that we would hate like heck to lose, to get a premium catcher like you are talking about. Carlson or Gorman for an equally valuable catcher. And given the scarcity of those kind of catchers compared to infielders and outfielders, certainly a valuable chunk of our pipeline as well. I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t, just that it is reality. My pure guess is Mo will look for a better version of Knizner and hope Herrera or maybe Julio Rodriguez pans out. Of course, Mo could just buy a premium catcher when the opportunity arises, but I dismiss that as not happening. Mo’s currency is talent not bales of cash.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bling said:

I lost track of what the September call up situation will be this year…

The glory days of September being a great opportunity to preview prospects is over. The current limitation is that just two players can be added (compared to the up to 15 prior). So the guys added are typically proven relievers or bench bats. No more “get a look at the next hot prospects”.

This 40 to 28 max in September reduction was a tradeoff the union agreed to when negotiating to bring up the active roster all season long from 25 to 26. As is more often the case than not, the union gives on prospect matters to get better terms for their MLB members. Owners don’t care as long as it doesn’t cost them more money.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bling,

Thank you so much for your comments and analysis. It is that kind of objective thinking that makes this site a treasure. Instead of everyone screaming for Burleson to be called up immediately I think you have accurately described how the Cardinals view it. Spot on and well done!

Now please go do the same thing in the Woodford thread. 🙂

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

With no full time spot currently available, and so many that will need to be added to the 40 man this offseason, that has to be playing into why he’s not up right?

Does anyone have an eye test on his OF ability? Yepez/Schwarber bad?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I appreciate the generous responses to my comments, deserved or not.

I don’t know anything about defensive attributes of Burleson, but I note he has played almost exclusively left field this year in Memphis. My thinking is, if he had a RF arm he would be there unless there is a hotter OF prospect with a RF arm taking those reps. Beyond that, I have no idea. The one thing that does make me nervous is that the organization had no idea Adolis Garcia could play center field and there he is. Not that Burleson could, but what else don’t they know? And why not?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

“Hit: Hit over power profile with a flat left-handed swing. Above-average bat speed with a strong feel for the barrel. Strong eye and will rarely chase, but lefties with a sweeping slider give him fits. Will get swing happy at times, but he covers the plate well. Battles. Line drives from line to line, will take what’s given to him, and serve a line drive into left. Above-average hitter against right-handers. Likely platoon issues drop him half a grade. Grade: 50”

From what I’ve seen he loses the front hip early. Maybe whats kept him from the big as they continue to work on it, and probably what makes him struggle vs LHP. .314/.381/.382 vs LHP this season.

“Good enough athlete with enough speed and instincts to play the outfield in my opinion, just won’t be viewed as a positive asset out there.”

He was a pitcher in college that threw 86-90. Probably a serviceable arm in RF, but with him playing mostly LF, he’s probably better off there. He graded out plus as a 1B, but not going to move Goldschmidt. He has an “awkward build”, looking “top heavy”, but still shows athleticism. He’s probably only going to get regular AB’s vs RHP, but platooning him with Yepez at DH seems likely with Burleson playing some corner OF, maybe some 1B, and Yepez playing some 1B and limited corner OF. I still like the Lance Berkman comp when I watch him. I think Burleson, playing vs RHP mostly, can be a .270+, 30-35+ 2B, 20-25 HR, but I think a RH compliment is going to be needed and Yepez has had reverse splits in his young career.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I noticed that Gorman didn’t get in the lineup today vs the Yanks righty starter. Edman did. Life as a platoon player with the Cardinals is precarious even when you have Gorman level hype coming in, and there are only so many seats on the bench.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

bling,
    I’d say that is going to continue to happen until Gorman learns to quit striking out all the time. I believe he is currently striking out an average of about 33%.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

With PDJ swinging a hot bat Gormans playing time now competes with Edman for 2B starts. Donovan had to DH today to get a start. Yepez have a spot anymore when he’s healthy?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Gorman needs to be cross-trained to play the corner OF spots.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its probably the hitting .200 for two months more than the striking out, but neither is helpful as far as staying in the lineup.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I was wondering the same thing. Pretty certain he’ll share some DH time with AP. He makes me skittish when he has a glove on his left hand…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I still like to see Eddie in lineup every day. Although he’s been mired in a batting slump, he still places 6th in the NL in runs scored. I believe his bat will improve. When he’s seeing it well he’s a way above average hitter and you need his near flawless glove and can always use the SB threat he provides. Call me crazy, but I think he’s a key component of this Redbird ballclub.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Wouldn’t surprise me a bit to see Edman traded in the off season.
    1. Carlson CF (S)
    2. O’Neill LF (R)
    3. Goldschmidt 1B (R)
    4. Arenado 3B (R)
    5. Gorman 2B (L)
    6. Burleson/Yepez DH (L/R)
    7. DeJong SS (R)
    8. Nootbaar RF (L)
    9. Herrera/Knizner C (R)

RH utility bat?, Donovan (L), Burleson/Yepez, C

Maybe DeJong is moved, Edman at SS. Maybe Edman is utility. Who really knows what their plan is. But I don’t expect a whole lot of changes.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Redbirds are going to need a catcher for ’23 and beyond. You may be right about the genuine possibility of Eddie being shipped in the off season. I can absolutely assure you that there are more than a handful of ballclubs in each league that would love to have him on their roster and would be willing to offer up valueable assets. I’d hate to see him go, but I hated to see Pujols go too…That’s Big League baseball. Heck, my heart was broken when Cepeda was traded for Torre when I was 11 years old. Not to mention Lefty.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

They most definitely will need a catcher. It won’t be the same without #4 around. He sure was a good one.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wouldn’t surprise me a bit to see Edman traded in the off season.

I like Edman but his value may be at peak this off-season and I think we can get at least 80% value of Edman from someone like Donovan plus calling up Winn at mid season if he’s playing well (and Dejong is not). In my dream scenario, Edman, Burleson or Yepez, plus Hence or Graceffo goes a long way toward trading for Aaron Nola, who I would love to have as ace of the staff for the next half decade or more.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Trading Tommy Edman would be beyond stupid.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like anything, it’s all about the value sitting behind them. No one is truly off limits, except maybe Waino if he comes back. If someone valued Edman enough to make him the centerpiece of a trade for a front of rotation starter, then it would be quite foolish to not explore such a trade.

Again, I believe Donovan+Winn approximates Edman’s value in 2023 and provides greater value in 2024 and beyond. It’s ok to disagree.

Back to Burleson…I agree with the theory that he’s going to get his shot after they’ve exhausted their looks at others. O’Neill will need to pick it up or risk getting Badered.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A year from now Edman will be approaching his second arbitration negotiation, so salary will start to be a consideration. If there is an established everyday 2B and SS by then, he would be vulnerable since Mo doesn’t spend on utility bench players.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gorman may be coming out of it. His OPS for the last week was .824, fourth-best on the team.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman is NOT a bench player or a utility player. He is a high-level everyday MLB player.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman platoons better with Gorman whereas Donovan doesn’t truly fit anywhere better than Edman. Therefore, I think Donovan may be our most redundant piece and should have some solid trade value for a catcher or maybe packaged for a starting pitcher. I like Donovan a lot. But someone else may like him better for their needs than what we need him for.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 379 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.