Alec Burleson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alec Burleson

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 386 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’ve barely been able to see his AB’s, I’ve read where everyone will compare him to Berkman due to his stance. From what I’ve seen, that’s pretty spot on. I’m not saying he will have his career, just a similar set up.

bccran
    Participant

A pure hitter. Doesn’t swing for the fences every time.
    Just goes for barrel contact wherever the pitch is in the strike zone.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would consider sitting Carlson. He hasn’t been productive this year yet. I would call up Burleson and play him against right handers. Carlson, Yepez, or Pujols could pinch but for him if a lefty reliever is brought in to face him. Let’s use all of our depth, and get Burleson feet wet.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlson HAS been productive since a terrible April. In June (20 games): .288/.394/.542/.937. His May OPS was 100 points lower at .837, but that is still better than full-year OPSes of everyone on the team except Goldy and Arenado.

Does anyone think Burleson would top that out of the gate? I sure don’t.

bccran
    Participant

Could be. Before pitchers adjust to him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There’s a big difference between possible and probable. IMO, it is not realistic to expect Carlson to sit for Burleson, anyway.

bccran
    Participant

Possible and probably both can only be tested by a real time reality measurement. The stats back up giving him more of a tenured chance.

bccran
    Participant

Has Burly earned as much of a chance as Nootbaar had earned? Or more?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Different situations. Nootbaar is a reserve who plays infrequently. He has 4 at-bats so far this month. When Burleson comes up, he should get a chance as a regular. This is a similar situation as earlier in the season when Gorman was hitting up a storm in Memphis, but they had to give DeJong enough time to prove-disprove himself first. Gorman’s Triple-A numbers indicated he was ready, but there wasn’t a clear shot to playing time – yet.

The real question as I see it today is which starter you would bench in favor of Burleson. It is Donovan, Gorman, Yepez or as was suggested, Carlson?

But this really isn’t a today matter. My guess is that one reason Burleson is not up is that both Capel and Noot will very soon be back in Memphis. O’Neill should be activated tomorrow and Dickerson is also close. When Bader is ready, then someone else already on the team will also have to go unless there is another injury.

I’d love to see Burleson up, too, but I get why he isn’t.

bccran
    Participant

I’ve mentioned this before. Just my opinion. When players go down, it’s a good opportunity for leading prospects to be called up to get a taste of major league pitching. It shows them the future, and what they need to work on before being called up for good. With O’Neill, Bader, and Dickerson all on the IL at the same time, it was a perfect time to bring Burly up for several weeks. Especially with the dismal performance of Nootbaar.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed that this is getting repetitive. It is what it is.

bccran
    Participant

At Memphis this season –

Gorman – .308/.367/.677/1.044
    Yepez – .279/.323/.651/.974
    Donovan – .298/.385/.404/.788
    Herrera – .287/.381/.435/.815
    Nootbaar – .222/.325/.476/.801
    Burleson – .341/.383/.566/.949
    Capel – .272/.361/.466/.827

6 out of those 7 have been called up at one time or the other. Why was Capel called up recently instead of Burleson?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bc, if the Cardinals call up Burleson instead of Capel, who is the backup CF?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BC, backup CF and 40 man spot, when the others are called up they will have to DFA someone. Capel has looked more than serviceable, might be able to use him to bring back some middle relief help.

bccran
    Participant

Edman can play CF in a pinch. Capel is not at the same level as Burly. Capel’s been kicking around the minor leagues for 7 years.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Why was Capel called up recently instead of Burleson?

Capel would have been a minor league FA after the year if not added to the 40 man. He’d God hot and was hitting well in Memphis after a slow start. So add him now and give him a shot and see what you’ve got. He’s a serviceable 4th OF, no hate for adding Capel from me at all. Burleson is limited defensively, but he’s more deserving than Nootbaar, but he’s caught in a numbers game for sure right now. He’s forcing their hand though and after the deadline we’ll see how many 40 man spots open, if they trade Nootbaar, all will open up for Burleson if so.

bccran
    Participant

Capel and Nootbaar are AAAA players at best.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t understand dissing on Burlesons defense. He passes the eye test, and I thought he has quite a few assists. He looks way better than Yepez.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

bc, Edman is the guy you are saying should be the starting SS over Winn when Winn is ready for the majors and now you want him to play CF in a pinch?

We have Yepez, Carlson, Gorman and Donovan as the 4 players who would be affected by Burleson being called up. Who do you take out of the lineup? Or do you play Burleson only part of the time?

bccran
    Participant

Burleson could DH against RH pitchers. Send Nootbaar or Capel down.

And, Forsch, I said Edman could play CF in a pinch right now if
    Carlson was injured in a game. That’s all. Has nada to do with anything downstream.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Repeating… One of Nootbaar and Capel is likely going down tomorrow for O’Neill. The other one (Capel or Nootbaar) will follow shortly when Dickerson’s rehab is over. There still is no room.

One reason this thread is so repetitive is that the same points are made multiple times and reasonable explanations are ignored (such as this one).

bccran
    Participant

The only reason it’s repetitive is because some can’t think outside the box they’ve built for themselves. Dickerson is hitting .194 with a .531 OPS. You want him in the DH slot against RHP? Just because they made a mistake and are paying him $5 million?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless you are the GM or PBO of the Cardinals, what you want is not binding. We are talking about what the Cardinals will do. No matter how much you complain and how much in denial you are, Dickerson will be activated soon. This is not a newsflash.

bccran
    Participant

No sense in being rude. Let’s cheer for an extra innings victory.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 386 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.