Alec Burleson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alec Burleson

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 263 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson is also less than a month older than Burleson. If he was in Memphis he’d be tearing it up and we’d all be clamoring for him. Burleson has a little better bat than Dylan but less plate discipline and defense/base running. I think they may be very similar value going forward.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Carlson’s value to the roster increases every time Bader goes IL. He may not be showing a corner OF bat yet, but his offense plays better vs mlb CF’rs.

bccran
    Participant

Burleson has 275 PAs at Memphis now this season with a
    slash of .343/.389/.578/.967. He’s only Ked 37 times (13.5% of the time). I say he has pretty decent plate discipline, 25.

bccran
    Participant

Capel called up. Burleson hits a 3 run homer tonight. I don’t get it.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Caple can play CF. Burleson can barely play LF. Also pretty sure Caple would have had to be added to 40 man before seasons end or he is a minor league free agent. Caple isn’t playing daily. If Burleson is up they want him to play.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When the players on the covid IL return Capel and Naile can be exposed to waivers. The Cardinals wouldn’t want to do that with Burleson. Capel and Naile are essentially renting a 40 man spot.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I would agree with Naile. Capel won’t get through. Don’t spit on Capel. Can play all 3 OF spots. In 180 AAA games, 690 PA, .273/.354/.472. Not a big power guy, but he’s got serviceable 4th OF written all over him. He had a really slow start this year in Memphis but had gotten hot and was up to .272/.361/.466 this season with 10 2B, 3 3B, 9 HR, 30 BB, 42 K, in 252 PA.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Naile looked better than Wittgren. Wittgren is the most likely candidate for DfA.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Capel. I am just saying the Cardinals are probably willing to expose him and hope for the best. Not Burleson though.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I would think Burleson is a trade candidate along with others for a starting pitcher with the way he is hitting

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There isn’t much outfield depth in the system, so I’d prefer they keep Burleson, as I think they are going to need him. But to get value in trade, you have to give up value.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Also from what I read the other day Walsh to the 60 day could be an option too to clear a 40 man spot.

bccran
    Participant

The Cardinals like to build from within. They draft and develop a guy like Burleson who puts up sensational numbers at AAA, and then people want to trade him. Doesn’t make sense. Brian is right. The outfield is very thin in the system. But there are guys who have little chance of impact at the ML level who might bring a decent arm in a trade. Guys like Capel, Baker, Gomez, Nunez, Torres, Perez, Mejia, Rodriguez, etc. Package them with a Bader, O’Neill, DeJong, or Sosa and you might be able to make a pretty good trade.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

And include Jack Flaherty

bccran
    Participant

Not a bad idea, GameCard.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I’m not completely averse to trading Alec Burleson if the return is right. Say, with a sweetener, in exchange for German Marquez who’s in a down year and therefore might be pretty get-able. (Would Colorado be less inclined to swap with the Birds, though, following the Nolan Arenado trade backlash?)

But I really, really like the idea of platooning Burly at 1st base with Malcom Nunez, once Goldy leaves after the 2024 season. I know it’s probably thinking too far ahead — and the Cards as an organization have never embraced platooning as far back as I can recall — but their cumulative 2021/22 splits just beg for a tag team approach.

2021 & 2022 combined:
    Burly v. righties .905 OPS (just .706 against southpaws)
    Nunez v. lefties .939 OPS (only .723 versus normals)

And the splits for each of them are even more pronounced than that, this season (Burleson well over 1.000 v. RHP and Nunez 1.100+ v. LHP). They could share first base. Or Yepez could take first, and Nunez/Burly could have the designated hitter role. Either way, Alecom Nunerly looks like a whale of a hitter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like that idea. Nunez is really coming on strong again. He is starting to look like the guy who caught everyone’s attention in the DSL a few years ago.

It is really amazing at the young offensive talent we have coming through the system.

Donovan
    Gorman
    Yepez
    Burleson
    Winn
    Walker
    Nunez

That is a lot of lumber. Trying to find a place for everyone is going to be a very good problem to have.

bccran
    Participant

I’d add Gomez to your list, gscottar. He was just promoted to AAA.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BC and GScott, Gomez is someone I’d be looking to trade right now after his breakout season. 40+ homers are great and chicks love the long ball, but the K rate is worrisome. If they could get a solid SP or even an above avg RP with a couple of years of control for him right now, I’d take the deal and run like my arse was on fire!

Take a look at the trade ideas thread and let me know what you guys think about that. I originally started looking at that due to Blake Snell possibly being an option and landed on that idea.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BC and GScott, Gomez is someone I’d be looking to trade right now after his breakout season. 40+ homers are great and chicks love the long ball, but the K rate is worrisome.

Yes, I mentioned Gomez as a potential trade trip in the Future Lineup Thread. He would probably be the one most likely to go since we have a logjam brewing.

bccran
    Participant

Burly’s had back to back 0 for 4 games. No strike outs, though. Must be hitting it at ‘em.

bccran
    Participant

Broke his 2 game mini slump yesterday. Was 3 out of 4 with 2 RBI and 2 runs scored. Now up to 60 RBI in 3 months, with 16 dingers. Hitting .341. Think we could use him in STL?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’ve started to greatly appreciate a guy “just getting on base, putting the ball in play and not striking out”. At basically the half way point, Burleson would be on pace for only 82K’s and an OBP of .383, secondly, if he comes up May 1 of next year, they have his services for almost 7 years. That being said, I’d trade any of the 3 starting OF’s right now before I would him.

Some have been bashing his defense, and he wouldn’t be TON in LF or Carlson in RF, but from what I’ve seen in a small sample size, he’s no where near as bad as Yepez and the minor league stats support that. That’s not a bash on Yepez, but Juan should be at 1st or DH, his bat plays so he has to be in there.

For a potential ace pitcher with 3.5 years or more of control, I wouldn’t take Carlson off the table at this point. And definitely not TON or Bader.

bccran
    Participant

Maybe, even though Burly’s line stats are crazy good, and his K rate is only 13.5%, the analytics show that he doesn’t have the right launch angle and exit velocity.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BC, he has 16 HR at roughly the half way point, the metrics are welcome to say what they want but need to be taken with a large bottle of salt. Just like the “trade evaluator” someone always posts, which I usually find way off when real life exists…. Aka I don’t fully or even 50% agree with them. I’d consider him a .350+ OBP with 30+ HR power. I’d pencil him in as the 5 hole LFer of the mid 2020’s.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 263 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years